Hey guys, me again.

I'm still trying to find my "identity" in Airsoft. I enjoy helping people and healing them in the Medic role (Explains my name, Jack Of Hearts, first name's Jack btw) but sometimes I crave a bit more of the action. The DMR role speaks to me, but I love the whole "specialized" aspect of airsoft, I.e. custom load-outs and creative, non-conventional weapons.

As I said before, I like the DMR role. I've grown up with the M16, and its a familiar platform to me, so I'm interested with that. I'm currently looking at the Echo 1 M16A3

http://www.evike.com/products/27380/

I'm going to buy a rail system for a grenade launcher, but before I do that I want to know you guy's opinion on grenade launchers. Some say they're overrated shotguns, but I'd use mine to launch rockets and smoke grenades. What do you guys think? I love hearing your opinions!

Edited by JackOfHearts

grenade launchers: totally utterly impractical, but totally utterly fun.

worth the money? if you got it. lots of it.

the DMR role is a glorified rifleman in airsoft. you don't get the extra 7.62 punch and range you would with a real marksmans rifle.

we all shoot 6mm BBs. there's only so much you can do with that.

some fields allow semi-restricted "DMR"s to shoot a tad bit hotter than a usual full auto capable guns.

but even at this advantage you only get maybe 25 feet of extra reach. all at the cost of several hundred dollars of upgrades.

IMO there is no such role as a DMR in airsoft. every finely tuned gun can be, and is, a DMR.

BASRs on the other hand are very practical.

BASRS also suffer the range issue. they are usually given a bit more lenience with FPS, so yes, they do have a little more range than both semi-only DMRs and full auto rifles.

but this distance again isn't significant enough to make a huge difference in most scenarios.

Instead their advantage lies in their concealment.

a semi-automatic DMR cannot negate the mechanical noises the firing system makes, because it has to cycle.

a BASR does not have to cycle. a small "puff" is all you would hear. in all practicality it's more or less inaudible during a game.

but a BASR isn't for everyone. it's a lot of proning and lots of tick bites and lots of dirt mud debris and lots of sitting at one place motionless.

it's also super expensive to a set going.

just stick with an assault rifle type that suits you and concentrate on making it shoot better.

SAWs, on the other hand, is very practical and rambo-fun. minus the weight.

but who cares about your immobility when you can rambo your way through?

Oh so you think you can launch smoke do you?

Show me a Smoke you can launch without the possibility of conking someone on the head and not hurting them. They don't exist. So, I am not sure where you think you can get a launchable smoke grenade.

As for Rocket...they get stuck in bushes and trees and wildly inaccurate beyond 30 yards. Nerf is more accurate due to mass.

The Aspect of Realism versus Safety is not crossed in Airsoft....what you will end up getting and being able to use is an oversized shotgun.

Edited by Guges Mk3
  • Upvote 1

Launchers may be useful in large scale games with vehicles where a foam or nerf projectile can "disable" or "destroy" them as per field rules. However you are paying a lot of money for something of limited use as opposed to pooling your money for other items like footwear, eye and face protection, AEGs, batteries, etc that you will be using way more often.

• Upvote 1

They can be fun, but also costly in the shell department if you're building a dedicated grenadier loadout. As mentioned, in some games it's the only way to defeat vehicles but for your usual skirmish you can actually just ditch the launcher and detonate the grenades by hand. I'd say the role is one of the later things in the hobby you'd want to explore due to cost likewise a machine gunner and sniper. Try going with a shotgun or a pistol first and see if you like those.

Guest alberty

I've tried a few, and these typical grenade launchers really don't give you the effect you're thinking of like in a videogame or real life. They're more like a shotgun blast of BBs, unless you put in a little foam rocket or ball but then that is only a single projectile. And they don't necessarily shoot the shower well enough for you to make an effective BB rain on oppoonents. So, you can be adding weight and bulk to your gun and your loadout without much benefit.

Otherwise they are cool-looking and fun to use as an alternative "gun". For example, it's satisfying to blast someone or blast a room of people in CQB with a loud burst of BBs, and you can do it from a decent distance too. But honestly, I have been using an S-Thunder plastic grenade launcher pistol instead of a gun-mounted replica. I can get a few funny "blast" hits on people without adding bulk/size to my main gun constantly.

Edited by alberty

Show me a Smoke you can launch without the possibility of conking someone on the head and not hurting them. They don't exist. So, I am not sure where you think you can get a launchable smoke grenade.

As for Rocket...they get stuck in bushes and trees and wildly inaccurate beyond 30 yards. Nerf is more accurate due to mass.

The Aspect of Realism versus Safety is not crossed in Airsoft....what you will end up getting and being able to use is an oversized shotgun.

Good point. Wouldn't want something like this to happen.

generation-kill-tube-fail-o.gif

depends on what is allowed where you play.

bb shower grenades....*shrugs* as people have said, expensive single shot shotgun. If you fire projectiles, kind of cool. One of the places I play allows them and if you get the projectile into the room the whole room is dead. So kind of cool. Me? I built a CO2 powered rocket launcher that fires mini nerf vortexes. The version currently in production shouldnt blow up.

Guest alberty

bb shower grenades....*shrugs* as people have said, expensive single shot shotgun.

There are also the revolver launches like the MGL style.

Lol, I've actually seen smoke being launched before, with the possibility of conking someone on the head, yes. And I've also heard from a veteran airsofter I met that he saw somebody shooting reusable 40mm grenade shells out of an M4 grenade launcher. Like the shell shot out of the launcher. At people. I think realism is more important to me than safety, I personally would be okay playing in a game with grenades being shot at me. I've never been shot with one, but from what I've seen I doubt they would hurt much, unless someone got shot in the back of the head with one, assuming they were wearing full face protection and a helmet. Just watch some videos of the Russians; they're crazy. They've got fully automatic rocket launchers mounted on real tanks which are also shooting explosive paint powder shells. And over here we're afraid of being shot with over 350 fps...

Edited by Logan Nagel

The Smoke Grenade I am referring to is to is the commercially available flare units - 37mm

"CNC machined from solid billet 6061-T6 Aluminum and 1018cr Steel .- One piece Launcher Tube and Hand Grip design - cylindrical Push Button Breech Lock - Extended Tube opening Supports 5 3/4" long cased USCG approved munitions - Durable Matte Black Finish - Mounts rock solid to carbine length rail sytem or longer. The 37mm Havoc Flare Launcher features the latest in design and manufacturing technology. Parts are CAD designed and CNC machined from solid billet material rather than the typical stamped and welded construction of other launchers. The 6061 T-6 aircraft grade aluminum components are anodized in a non-glare matte black finishing for maximum durability and ease of maintenance. Additional components are built from 1018 cold rolled steel and plated with a mil-spec black oxide finish. The proprietary STZ push button cylindrical breech lock design is 3 times stronger than existing lever lock systems. The Havoc is designed to mount on any rail system. Installation simply requires sliding the launcher onto the bottom rail of the handguard and tightening two set screws which are included. This G.I. Style Launcher fits flush with barrel and is the same style and design that our U.S. Military uses."

When you click on the link....look at the specs for the "projectiles".

http://www.firequest.com/37mm-accessories.html

While you maybe "willing to take one of these off your head...not many others are. And the insurance for using these...forget it. Sue happy lawyers waiting in the wings...

not to mention the fact that youll spend more money on an m16 than you would on an ak simply because v3 gearboxes generally can support up to m130s without problems(if your using cyma or E&L which are the best ak brands imho)

Your gonna have to use sorbathol pads(mouse pads) among other things to upgrade that thing and in the end it will weigh 10 pounds so you forfeit reliability for looks. Not to mention 74s are cheaper stock. I do see a problem mounting scopes but you can just get a krebs ak. Stick to cyma and E&L

Lol, I've actually seen smoke being launched before, with the possibility of conking someone on the head, yes. And I've also heard from a veteran airsofter I met that he saw somebody shooting reusable 40mm grenade shells out of an M4 grenade launcher. Like the shell shot out of the launcher. At people. I think realism is more important to me than safety, I personally would be okay playing in a game with grenades being shot at me. I've never been shot with one, but from what I've seen I doubt they would hurt much, unless someone got shot in the back of the head with one, assuming they were wearing full face protection and a helmet. Just watch some videos of the Russians; they're crazy. They've got fully automatic rocket launchers mounted on real tanks which are also shooting explosive paint powder shells. And over here we're afraid of being shot with over 350 fps...

350? *psh* My local group of teens consider anything less than 400 to be "Good if you want to go to fields."

Just know what your getting... My cousin got 2 free $140 grenade launchers with all the shells... And has never used them. They take a lot of gas as well. I've tried one, I wound up using my spring sidearm most of the time.