So I recently upgraded my Classic Army M15A4 spring to a SHS M130 and when I went to test it out, the gearbox would move a little and lock.

The gears had already been upgraded, although I don't know what the ratio is (it was a while back and a Airsoft Atlanta fixed my gears after they had worn out), the stock motor is in (this one), and my battery is a Tenergy 9.6v 1600maH 10C.

I figure that I either need to upgrade the battery or the motor, and would rather do which ever is cheaper. Does anyone know which I should upgrade? When I changed the spring everything came out and I had to re-shim the gears. I think I did it alright, but maybe doing it better would get it to work? It works with the stock spring shimmed the way it is now.

Edited by Middle_LiBa

It is probably because your batteries discharge rate is too low for this setup.

The gears are probably standard 18:1 factory gears, I don't think they will install upgraded ones unless you pay for them.

The issue could be that the motor can't pull the spring but that's unlikely.

You should also try shimming the gears loosely and testing it.

• Upvote 1

Something that can output at least 20 amps continuous, which you can calculate by multiplying the discharge rating C with the capacity. e.g. your battery can output roughly 10*1.600 = 16 amps continuous. The higher the discharge the better as the motor will only draw as much as it needs.

• Upvote 1

Guest alberty

Does your model have the "Classic Army High Torque" motor? If so, it's not really high torque at all, it's actually pretty weak. On some of these CA models they struggle to cycle just out of the box, so I can imagine that you bump all the way up to a new SHS M130 spring, it will not be able to cycle.

• Upvote 1

Does your model have the "Classic Army High Torque" motor? If so, it's not really high torque at all, it's actually pretty weak. On some of these CA models they struggle to cycle just out of the box, so I can imagine that you bump all the way up to a new SHS M130 spring, it will not be able to cycle.

Yes, that picture is exactly the same as the one I have as long as it is a long type. When running the stock spring I got a good ROF on auto. Do you think that motor could handle the SHS m130 just with a stronger battery?

Something that can output at least 20 amps continuous, which you can calculate by multiplying the discharge rating C with the capacity. e.g. your battery can output roughly 10*1.600 = 16 amps continuous. The higher the discharge the better as the motor will only draw as much as it needs.

Ok thanks! Do you have any suggestions on a battery <$40? What are the average specs and ROF that budget would get me (with the new spring)?

The best NIMH battery you can buy would be Elite cells from Elite Airsoft Batteries. Most are under your $40 requirement.

Purchase a battery of your choice from there. Charge it up when you get it, and try it out. See if your gun cycles. More likely than not though, I suspect your gun will struggle. It should still cycle with the new battery, but it will struggle. As several others have said, CA motors are really poor.

If your gun still struggles, then look at a new motor. A ZCI balanced/speed would get the job done, as would their torque, but with a lower ROF and faster trigger response.

• Upvote 1

Ok thank you everyone for your help! Hopefully this post will also help anyone else who has a similar problem.

Too add on to that...

If you want some good lipos, go to:

hobbyking.com

The battery's are normally about $10 each and they're much better than any $40 "Airsoft battery" I've ever owned.