Rancore

What are the absolute best upgrades for rhop?

There is no such thing as the best of the best.

Everyone will have their opinions on what they suggest.

At the end of the day, all parts from the lowest price range to the highest can produce great performance.

There are just as many techs that go low cost, and out shoot those techs that go high cost, as vice-versa.

Barrel brand, Bore size, Bucking, Hop-up Unit, and what is the best of all is completely subjective.

At the end of the day, the best decision you can make is to not get in a trap of spending a lot of money chasing performance.

The more experience an airsoft tech has, the less money they spend on parts and high dollar brands.

A well tuned gun with perfect air seal, a balanced air volume ratio, and using quality ammo and just using a standard drop-in Bucking, will out shoot the best of the best R-hop in a gun that is poorly tuned.

Edited by vanevery

If I remember right, you already have a Prometheus tight bore barrel in your gun right? That is considered about the best. The PDI would be slightly better, however if you lap the Prometheus, you can improve it's performance.

As for the best tech, for R-hop, I'd have to say Skag, considering he is Hunterseeker's only certified installer. If Hunterseeker certified him, that says something about the quality of his installs.

Personally I would choose a Lonex Hard bucking and M-nub.

However, as Vanevery said, a lot of parts can perform well, and "best" is rather subjective since no one has really done controlled studies of the parts.

If I remember right, you already have a Prometheus tight bore barrel in your gun right? That is considered about the best. The PDI would be slightly better, however if you lap the Prometheus, you can improve it's performance.

I have a madbull python barrel, do you think those pre-installed rhop tbb from clandestine be any good?

The install would be about the best you could get, considering Hunterseeker does the install himself. While the barrel is is installed on is said to be good (by Clandestine), like any barrel, you can always improve it by lapping it.

after the r-hop, about the only thing you can do it getting the best inner barrel.

in my personal experience, the 5 inch grouping difference at 200 ft does not make that big of a difference in airsoft, unless you are talking about BASRs.

99% of the time you are shooting bursts and all you need is one to land. you can only get so accurate with smoothbore barrels.

for that reason I just recommend a madbull 6.03

their 6.01 isn't too bad either, but it's practically the same as their 6.03 except it costs extra $10.

a hopup is a hopup. they all require tuning.

making it metal does increase longevity. but that's about it.

No No No No No.

All hopups are not created equal!

A quality hop up is going to outperform any cheap hop up, because it is built better, stronger, and more reliable.

The issue with cheap plastics is that they bend, and sometimes when your shooing the hop up is bent. This gives an inconsistent hop up that isn't actually giving a full "hop". Also I have never been able to get the same seal that I can with a metal hop up, which means lost air.

The retro arms hop is one of the best. It is by far the strongest and most reliable hop up I have ever owned. Is have a great deal and with some diy mods the seal can be perfect.

I have never seen a hop-up bend...If your hop-up is bending in any way. There are other issues the "needs" to be address and is not the fault of the material of the hop-up.

TM hop ups are plastic and they are mighty nice compared to even CnC hop-ups.

The things you can do to a "metal" hop-up can been done to a plastic unit to roughly the same degree with the same results.

Just be objective about what needs to be done and how to do it.

Edited by Guges Mk3

in my 10 years of tinkering I have never seen a hopup "give in" anywhere other than the feed lip point where the magazine's bb stopper engages the hop.

you do have a point in that there are some un-salvageable hop-ups.

some are really poorly made that there are like 15 degrees of freedom each way inside the guides.

but even these...well, im contradicting myself, but even these are usable if you shim the arms, as long as the aforementioned feed lip is not damaged and the BBs are being picked up from the mag.

if your hopup arm is bending and giving in, you're giving it too much hop.

I think I can confidently say that no field-legal gun will need that much hopup.

and that is why I say that you need to tune all hopups. and with tuning, your results will more or less be the same.

I was talking about cheap hop ups (like the $80 lancer tacticals). Since he never said what gun he had, I was just telling him that the hop does matter if he has a cheap plastic one.

This is exactly why I used "cheap plasic" each time, rather than just plastic. I completely agree that a marui hop up is going to be as good as some CNC ones, but that's because the marui hops are well made high quality plastics, not cheap $store plastic.

As for shimming the arms on a really cheap hop up, when take crap and polish it, you get polished crap.

Plus you won't get "roughly the same degree with the same results" or "more or less the same" because a cheap plastic hop up is not going to have the same seal as a decent metal hop up, or any well made hop up, plastic or not.

Edited by MrGearbox

It will help with the crappy seal from the cheap plastic, but seriously, once again:

When you polish crap, you get polished crap.

Then you would have hated me in my paintball days. I had a Baracudda...it was crap...but I polished that crap so well that the Mags and Cocker users that knew me did not take me lightly...