Sign in to follow this  
n00bie_14

Pondering an AK AEG

Hey everyone,

Of these three rifles, which would you choose in terms of external quality-to-price ratio, utility on the field, and ergonomics?

CYMA CM050A AIMS Tactical

CYMA CM048 AK74

Dboys RK-05 AK74M

The reason I ask is because I've been wanting to get an AK AEG for a while, and I'm most likely going to be picking one up as my next gun. Right now I am considering only CYMA and Dboys rifles, because their AK's seem to give the most bang for your buck. I'm really undecided on which variant I want, as each one has some feature the others don't.

If any of these rifles have some major issue I don't know about, whether internally or externally, please inform me. If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them, but I am not interested in anything over $150.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

-B.A.M.F.

Cyma will have slightly better internals, but they use a bit of pot metal in the front end of the gun. Dboys is all steel except for the outer barrel, which is aluminium, and maybe the front sight, which will be zinc. Also, the Cyma guns with a solid stock are rear wired, while the Dboys will take a stick type under the dust cover like most AKs.

Think Cyma also uses better wood than Dboys, but results will vary depending on how they came from the factory any given day.

Also, I'd suggest one of the AK104/105 style guns. Carbine length front ends on them. The CM040 comes this way, and Dboys also offers a shorter one. Not the Krinkov, not SMG length, but shorter than a full AK. Only downside with these is that they're a little more expensive because they're a bit newer, but ASGI has the 040 with a metal stock for $160, and you can use their 25% off coupon on it. If you can wait until they get them back into stock, I think Evike charges $130 for both the metal and plastic stock versions of it.

Cyma will have slightly better internals, but they use a bit of pot metal in the front end of the gun. Dboys is all steel except for the outer barrel, which is aluminium, and maybe the front sight, which will be zinc. Also, the Cyma guns with a solid stock are rear wired, while the Dboys will take a stick type under the dust cover like most AKs.

Think Cyma also uses better wood than Dboys, but results will vary depending on how they came from the factory any given day.

Also, I'd suggest one of the AK104/105 style guns. Carbine length front ends on them. The CM040 comes this way, and Dboys also offers a shorter one. Not the Krinkov, not SMG length, but shorter than a full AK. Only downside with these is that they're a little more expensive because they're a bit newer, but ASGI has the 040 with a metal stock for $160, and you can use their 25% off coupon on it. If you can wait until they get them back into stock, I think Evike charges $130 for both the metal and plastic stock versions of it.

Thanks for the response. I'm aware that CYMA has slightly lower grade externals than Dboys, while Dboys has slightly lower grade internals than CYMA.

The wood on CYMA still looks pretty lame compared to, say, E&L's wood furniture, but I guess that's just something I'll have to live with at this price range. I really wish CYMA made a version of their CM048 with polymer furniture, because I prefer polymer over wood and the rear wiring means I can use my small type batteries in it.

Evike does carry a number of CYMA AK carbines, including the CM040 you mentioned for $136. I'm really digging the unique appearance and the versatility of that mid-length barrel, but I have heard those skeletal folding stocks are rather flimsy, are they?

I myself own a dboys AKS-74u (aka, the 'suka')and it's accuracy is decent enough (can hit a stop sign sized target at 100 ft consistently) and it also used metal bushings. It's steel stock is quite wobbly (1-2mm of wobble), but a pin with higher tolerance should fix that.

Also, you might want to check the CYMA CM040, which are ak74 type rifles with polymer furniture instead.

Also, you might want to check the CYMA CM040, which are ak74 type rifles with polymer furniture instead.

Yes, but all CM040 rifles have folding stocks which means they are limited to stick batteries under the dust cover. A rear-wired gun with a fixed stock means I can use my small type batteries, but if I buy a CM040 I would have to get a new set of batteries for it too.

Despite this, the CM040 seems to be one of CYMA's best, and if nothing changes between now and the time I actually buy an AK, it'll most likely be one of the CM040 rifles.

EDIT: Also, what's the "best" sling to use for one of these? Being an M4 guy I only have single point slings, and single points and AK's don't go together well.

Edited by B.A.M.F.

If you end up getting one of the 74' style AK, you can clip the front of the sling around the front-most sling-mount, then tie the other end of the sling in a knot around the stock's sling loop. Very comfy to carry it like that. Heck, you can even rest your arms on the gun while you're walking if you carry it around your front.

Here's the sling:

https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-340.html

You can probably get a cheaper one, but that's the "design" I've got.

Edited by Dead Christmas

Here's the sling:

https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-340.html

You can probably get a cheaper one, but that's the "design" I've got.

Thanks for the link Jeebus. I've seen slings like that in action on real AK's but I had no clue where to find them. Also, you know you're not actually supposed to tie it in a knot around the rear sling loop, right? You fold it over and tuck it under the keeper, like

all three are pretty solid for the price. emphasis on "for the price"

all three models have trunnions (front and rear) built of inferior, brittle type of metal.

I've had the 048 snap in the rear trunnion with a full stock + battery just from the weight, in storage.

folding stocks fare slightly better, but this limits you to stick type batteries.

cyma's receivers are nicer than dboys. it's a stamped steel outer casing vs. die-cast (I think, someone correct me pls).

the dboys will have nylon bushings. be sure to change that out.

on some dboys models, the front assembly tends to be kinda wobbly as well, as the barrel - receiver mesh isn't tight enough.

so.....I would get a cyma.

[edit] wait, who told you dboys externals are better?

better in terms of....what?

both are "meh" at best, thought in terms of longevity I think cyma is slightly better.

Edited by Phil2

both are "meh" at best, thought in terms of longevity I think cyma is slightly better.

People on this forum have said Dboys are better because certain external parts are made of steel, whereas on a CYMA those same parts would be pot metal.

Cyma actually did offer the CM048 with poly furniture, as the 048A. ASGI and evike have it listed, but out of stock, and I can only find one for sale on ebay at $200 or so. So it's possible they just haven't done a batch of them this year.

Oh, that one. I'm not a fan of the pistol grip or handguard. What I meant by poly furniture is the original Russian style furniture, like the CM040's. Sorry, should have been more specific.

For A good sling to use for the AK, it really depends. The Dboys slings are awesome and usable straight from the box, but I'm not so sure about the CYMA slings. Another good option for slings are real steel surplus slings, since they're so f***ing cheap.

all three are pretty solid for the price. emphasis on "for the price"

all three models have trunnions (front and rear) built of inferior, brittle type of metal.

I've had the 048 snap in the rear trunnion with a full stock + battery just from the weight, in storage.

folding stocks fare slightly better, but this limits you to stick type batteries.

cyma's receivers are nicer than dboys. it's a stamped steel outer casing vs. die-cast (I think, someone correct me pls).

the dboys will have nylon bushings. be sure to change that out.

on some dboys models, the front assembly tends to be kinda wobbly as well, as the barrel - receiver mesh isn't tight enough.

so.....I would get a cyma.

First off, I was referring to the dboys real wood & Full Steel models (which uses stamped steel), rather than their fake wood & partially steel models.

So, with my experience of the fake wood version, I took out the gearbox and found that the bushings were metal, so I'm guessing dboys have improved (either that, or my retailer must've been really, really nice :rolleyes: )

First I would recommend the CYMA / Matrix Custom Stamped Steel / Laminated Wood Full Size AK-74 Airsoft AEG, Airsoft Guns, Airsoft Electric Rifles, Matrix (Exclusives) - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

Save 120 and get he E&L...Real steel and Laminate wood.

Never have to worry about anything snapping...ever...

Yes those are nice too.

But if you save up even more LCT is the best IMHO.

Backstory! So I took up a small side business / hobby of my friends when he had to move. He had a dozen or so AEGs and a few pistols, gear and what not. While were were going over prices for each item we had a little bit of a disagreement over one gun in particular, this LCT AIMS. Well at the time I was reluctant to pay $250 for it where all of his other guns were around $150 but he assured me that it was "well worth the $250" and "$250 was a good deal". Well he was wrong. $250 was a GREAT deal! If I had known how good it was I would have paid $350+! I am at least the 4th if not the 5th owner of this gun and it is by far the best AK you can get and one of the best AEGs I have ever used. It is quite a few years old and after a lot of heavy use preforms smoother and better than most new AEGs! I don't think anything has been done to it other than a few exterior replacements (grips and handguards). Honestly this is well worth the $400 they are asking for it new.
Review:
5/5 for durability, simply amazing! Has seen a lot of abuse and is super solid!
5/5 for performance, after years of use it still outperforms almost all other AEGs.
5/5 for field ready, you really don't need to do much to this other than regular cleaning. No upgrades are required.
5/5 for useful life, the only thing that beginning to wear out is the hop-up! Everything else is still working great! (They are designed to last 5+ years)
4/5 for looks, not super important but the motor grips on all LCTs are ugly.
Range it good but a new hop-up on mine will help bring it back up.
Mine gets 330 FPS, not sure if this was a spring downgrade by an earlier owner or an early production model.
EDIT: Or this Echo1 AK which I have realy like the feel and performance from, once again outside you budget and probably useless for me to include but I have already crossed that boundary.....Echo1 Red Star AKM Full Metal AK74(Real Wood)
Edited by spitfiresim

First I would recommend the CYMA / Matrix Custom Stamped Steel / Laminated Wood Full Size AK-74 Airsoft AEG, Airsoft Guns, Airsoft Electric Rifles, Matrix (Exclusives) - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

Yes those are nice too.

But if you save up even more LCT is the best IMHO.

Backstory! So I took up a small side business / hobby of my friends when he had to move. He had a dozen or so AEGs and a few pistols, gear and what not. While were were going over prices for each item we had a little bit of a disagreement over one gun in particular, this LCT AIMS. Well at the time I was reluctant to pay $250 for it where all of his other guns were around $150 but he assured me that it was "well worth the $250" and "$250 was a good deal". Well he was wrong. $250 was a GREAT deal! If I had known how good it was I would have paid $350+! I am at least the 4th if not the 5th owner of this gun and it is by far the best AK you can get and one of the best AEGs I have ever used. It is quite a few years old and after a lot of heavy use preforms smoother and better than most new AEGs! I don't think anything has been done to it other than a few exterior replacements (grips and handguards). Honestly this is well worth the $400 they are asking for it new.
Review:
5/5 for durability, simply amazing! Has seen a lot of abuse and is super solid!
5/5 for performance, after years of use it still outperforms almost all other AEGs.
5/5 for field ready, you really don't need to do much to this other than regular cleaning. No upgrades are required.
5/5 for useful life, the only thing that beginning to wear out is the hop-up! Everything else is still working great! (They are designed to last 5+ years)
4/5 for looks, not super important but the motor grips on all LCTs are ugly.
Range it good but a new hop-up on mine will help bring it back up.
Mine gets 330 FPS, not sure if this was a spring downgrade by an earlier owner or an early production model.

I second the LCT, I held an E&L recently and while the build quality was good the fire selectors were looser than I like. I can't stand having my fire selector go loose.

So your letting one AEG bias your opinion. I can cite multiple issues with LCTs fit and finish, but I don't let that jade me. They are good...but they are more expensive than an E&L.

Its an overall product thing and AK's are not meant to be beauty queens. Price for price...the E&L are under the same price of an LCT. Plus you get a nice bag of that Cosmoline Goodness...

Try this with a LCT...they use it to chisel ice....amongst other things.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Guest alberty

Standard Stick battery...no issues.

Good for us to know! What is that white paper label thing?

So your letting one AEG bias your opinion. I can cite multiple issues with LCTs fit and finish, but I don't let that jade me. They are good...but they are more expensive than an E&L.

Its an overall product thing and AK's are not meant to be beauty queens. Price for price...the E&L are under the same price of an LCT. Plus you get a nice bag of that Cosmoline Goodness...

Try this with a LCT...they use it to chisel ice....amongst other things.

Lol yeah thats pretty impressive. But I don't know bout it being more durable than LCT. The wooden parts of the LCTs would defidentaly be less durable than those plastic parts but I think the LCTs steel body and overall construction would do at least as good as that E&Ls body. Obviously I can't prove that but I have been really impressed with my LCT experience.

LCT is Airsoft Grade Manufacturing.

E&L is REAL gun parts Grade Manufacturing

Face it...there is no comparison.

Put your LCT against a wall and stomp it right in the middle...see what happens. On the video proved that you can do that to a E&L and it won't bend.

BTW...I have had both makers in my hand. The LCT would fail in rather short order if you tried of the stress tests they did.

Now if you want a pretty gun...LCT is much prettier. If you want a realistic AK with that out of the box look and cosmoline all over it. You get an E&L.

The White paper label thingy is the battery use tag. Plug it in like this...and not like this...

Edited by Guges Mk3

I like my LCT, though. It's solid enough for my liking.

Besides, most of us airsofters LOVE our guns and wouldn't do what they did to that poor E&L, never in a thousand years. Those once-in-a-millennium sadists!

I have to admit, though, in terms of authenticity the LCT does get a few things wrong.

if you are a purest of the purists, that older takedown lever will bother the hell out of you. Most of us will not even know / notice / bother.

if you're looking for a training tool for your real AKs I think the LCT is a great option in terms of weight. It's pretty damn close in weight to a 30-round loaded AK.

but then again, a GBBR will be a far better training tool than LCT AEGs any day.

oh yeah, and the magwell is a tab bit too tight with majority of magazines in the market. the mag catch guards protrude out slightly too long, so if you want to seat certain magazines you really have to bang dat bi7ch in. and if you do that, no tactile click with the magazine seating in.

also, after you do that, it leaves two huge indents along the magazine's rear latch.

5 minutes with a sander fixes it, but it does ruin your finish.

if this is just another AK in addition to your collection of various AKs, I like LCTs. get it.

if you can only have ONE, I wouldn't get an LCT.