Grey_M62

GBB Pistol for Filming

Hello,

I'm looking for a gbb airsoft pistol for filming purposes. Here is a list of things I would prefer on the gun:

-CO2 powered

-Full Metal (realistic look, weight, and sound)

-Realistic looking magazine

-$100.00 or under

-Removable/Not Present orange tip (when not filming, the tip will be on)

-Black and/or Silver (no wood, NO clear plastic)

-Realistic blowback

If you could find one with most or all of these preferences, that would be great. I may be willing to go over the $100.00 budget if the gun has everything else.

Thanks,

Grey

If you want realism...CO2 is "not" it. Nothing screams more than a CO2 Prop pistol when they have a big screw on the bottom of the magazine like this.

KWC-KCB74AHN-6CO2_8_MARK.jpg

Also...what platform do you want to replicate? Glock? M&P? 1911? Beretta? Taurus? PPK? P226?

There are many GG pistols that look better for Movies without the screw on the bottom.

There are CO2 mags with base plates that can cover the CO2 screw, but the selection is small.

So, I guess with that...pick your platform and we can make a suggestion.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Also, CO2 guns typically have more recoil, so the actor wouldn't have to jerk his hands back to simulate real recoil. However, is the pistol is a prop and will not be fired, you could go with a gbb, as it would have the more realistic magazine.

Also, CO2 guns typically have more recoil, so the actor wouldn't have to jerk his hands back to simulate real recoil.

You're kidding, right? Yes, CO2 can offer more felt recoil than green gas but in no stretch of fantasy will it ever compare to the muzzle flip of an actual centerfire handgun firing actual lead. Even real guns loaded with blanks have to be jerked a bit on camera because the lack of a heavy projectile greatly reduces any visible recoil.

Still co2 is the better choice, as long as your not up the guns but while you shoot. It kicks more, you see co2 shoot out more, and is much louder.

I'll send you a video with my co2 pistol shooting while fake kicking. It looks decently realistic.

Get real man. Noise and flash are post edited in! That extra recoil you feel and hardly see amounts to nothing because you still need to fake it for filming purposes. At any rate, as far as realistically looking the part, Guges is right and there are even worse looking mags where the whole side shows the CO2 powerlet. And I'm not even getting into the fact that not many CO2 pistols out there are made strong enough to last more than the 5 minutes it takes for a kid on YouTube to make a review on how awesome and reliable it is.

Get real man. Noise and flash are post edited in! That extra recoil you feel and hardly see amounts to nothing because you still need to fake it for filming purposes. At any rate, as far as realistically looking the part, Guges is right and there are even worse looking mags where the whole side shows the CO2 powerlet. And I'm not even getting into the fact that not many CO2 pistols out there are made strong enough to last more than the 5 minutes it takes for a kid on YouTube to make a review on how awesome and reliable it is.

My co2 pistol is 4 years old lol. No problems.

As for noose and flash being edited in, they are edited over and do not replace the sounds. Only so much flash can be added in untill it just looks stupid and fake, so the co2 flare helps.

Finally, if I let my hand go practically limp while still holding the gun, and give a little jerk, you would be suprised how much kick it creates.

CO2 is not easier to get. It cost more to run CO2 over GG. 1 Powerlet at 1.00 for 50 shots or a Coleman Tank for 3.00 and you can get 400 shots out of it.

With CO2 when your half empty, guess what...you are going to run out of gas in a fight or you have to burn the JET to put a new one in to top off the gas.

Plus with real shooters, with good grips...the guns don't fip much if at all.

Case in point Jerry Miculek...man is a machine. He can hit a target 200 yards away shooting a snub nose revolver Upside down with his pinky.

He can also fire 6 shot, reload and fire another 6 shots in a REVOLVER in under 3 seconds.

- a twitch at most.

I say again...what muzzle flip? At most its a twitch.

As for a CO2 Beretta, you have very few choices. KJW units (rare)

http://www.evike.com/products/24070/

or a KWC unit (low grade).

http://www.umarex.com/de/airsoft/co/2.5994.html

Edited by Guges Mk3

Plus with real shooters, with good grips...the guns don't fip much if at all.

Case in point Jerry Miculek

I say again...what muzzle flip? At most its a twitch.

The first video is of a .38 special.

The second video is a Mag-na ported 6" 686 using 9mm in moon clips

Of course they won't exhibit much muzzle flip!

Now here's a different video also by Miculek displaying different guns and their handling characteristics with and without recoil managing systems. As you can see, the answer is "it depends".

https://youtu.be/Q6dWDFcoFFs

My co2 pistol is 4 years old lol. No problems.

Good for you. Unfortunately, the same is not true for the vast majority of CO2 powerd pistols. Mind revealing what model you have and how much you've shot it because it doesn't count when it's been sitting on a shelf or in a holster most of its life.

As for noose and flash being edited in, they are edited over and do not replace the sounds. Only so much flash can be added in untill it just looks stupid and fake, so the co2 flare helps.

If you're running on a budget consisting of free return trips to the snack bar, sure, you can live without dubbing over the sound. But even small studios are able to do that easily now. As far as filming is concerned, they still have to fake everything post edit.

Hey, if you guys want to argue, could you do it elsewhere? Thanks. I'm looking for people to help me.

Ok. The gun you linked isn't an airsoft gun.

Also, we're not arguing. This is a forum. We're discussing on ways in helping you out particularly as to what merits one platform will give over another. Maybe if you give more information as the the extent of your film? Are you able to post edit SFX in? What exactly is your target audience which determines how "real" you need things to be.

Edited by renegadecow

Yes, I will be editing. The gun will be used for multiple films. I'd like it to be pretty realistic, but in the point that it looks like a real fun rather than an airsoft gun. I was thinking maybe something like the Crosman GameFace Elite Combat airsoft pistol. Any ideas on that? If it's good, where can I find it? Most places say it's unavailable.

Just my $.02, but if you want realism I would recommend against a gun that is plastered with "GameFace" and consumer warnings plastered all over it in huge white lettering, particularly if you plan on it being featured in close up shots.

Edited by gunnerk19

http://www.evike.com/products/39853/

• Fully licensed Beretta trademarks
  • High Strength Polymer Slide, Frame, and Barrel Assembly
  • Full Metal Inner Barrel
  • Realistic Blowback Action

The only thing is that it's not full metal. I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you or not.

And if it's going to be primarily for film work I would recommend this, although almost everyone on this forum will poopoo it because it's a WE.

http://www.evike.com/products/30158/

Full metal, uses either gas or CO2 (separate mag required), but no markings on it at all.

Edited by gunnerk19

Now the question is, do I go with the green gas version for the note realistic magazine, or the co2 version for the better blowback?

Blowback is felt and even then the difference in GG vs CO2 is marginal.

I'm not quite sure what you meant there. Mind rewording that for me?

The "extra" blowback you feel from CO2 over a GG/propane pistol is not necessarily seen. If I were you I would go with a green gas pistol, because it's cheaper than CO2, the mags are more realistic, and there are way more options as far as guns go.

Good for you. Unfortunately, the same is not true for the vast majority of CO2 powerd pistols. Mind revealing what model you have and how much you've shot it because it doesn't count when it's been sitting on a shelf or in a holster most of its life.

If you're running on a budget consisting of free return trips to the snack bar, sure, you can live without dubbing over the sound. But even small studios are able to do that easily now. As far as filming is concerned, they still have to fake everything post edit.

Elite force 1911 tac.

I've probably put at least 150,000 shots through it over the years, I've never needed to replace it. The only thing I had to was rebend the leaf spring. It was easy and took me 5 min to do. Haven't needed to do it for a year and the thing is fine.

Elite force 1911 tac.

I've probably put at least 150,000 shots through it over the years, I've never needed to replace it. The only thing I had to was rebend the leaf spring. It was easy and took me 5 min to do. Haven't needed to do it for a year and the thing is fine.

150,000?!? That's like 50 bags of bbs and 2,500 powerlets or spending $2,000 on a $100 gun. Even people who use pistols as primaries barely chew through 10,000 rounds a year. Only way to get that high a usage count is if you use it as a support weapon.

Edited by renegadecow

150,000?!? That's like 50 bags of bbs and 2,500 powerlets or spending $2,000 on a $100 gun. Even people who use pistols as primaries barely chew through 10,000 rounds a year. Only way to get that high a usage count is if you use it as a support weapon.

I play cqb, a lot. Every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I also have 10 mags for the gun, which I have to normally refill each one twice (in game), and we do about 30 games in a day. Of coarse I don't always use my handgun as a primary but I do it a lot, at least 15 of the 30 games I use the hand gun. That's not including all of the times I dry fire the gun at home, or shoot it outside.

My mags are also extended, except for one (the one that came with the gun).

Why shoot that much out of a $100 gun? Because it's good I like it, and I don't need to replace it, it works fine.

No my field gun on the other hand is getting close to 500,000 rounds. It gets 45rps and it's easy to use a couple of bags of bbs in a day.

Btw I like to lay on the trigger a lot, I tend to shoot excessively.

Edited by MrGearbox

That wouldn't be the same pistol you mention here would it?http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/292344-elite-force-1911-tac/

Yeah. I only started wondering how much I've actually used it untill I the reliablility was questioned. Before I just made very rough estimates. I did get that spring cuz it stared to get worn out, but that will happen to any gun it time. I'll try to dig up some Airsoft atlanta stuff to see if I still have the reciept lol.

Not calling you out, but just pointing to how making rough estimates can get easily muddled with embellishments through time and that never really helps in representing the longevity of any given gun. You've gone from 2.5 years to 4 and 30k rounds to 150k. The best way to make round estimates in my experience would be simply counting how many bags of bbs you've had to buy unless of course you share the same ammo with multiple guns. In my case I usually use .25g for pistols and .30g for rifles/carbines making it easier to track.

That is a KWC SIG X5...CO2. It is surprisingly a decent KWC CO2 product.