IanK

Need help with LiPo batteries

I was thinking of upgrading my AEG to an 11.1V LiPo, but I don't know how to hook it up. The battery is this:

https://www.airrattle.com/11-1v-1000Mah-20C-Lithium-Polymer-Stick-Battery-p/tenergy-31598.htm

and I have no experience with LiPo batteries. What all do I need for this and how do I go about hooking it up? The gun is a King Arms AEG SVD.

Guest alberty

If you look online on the internet on websites and videos, you can find plenty of beginner guide's to using lipo batteries. Some good guides may be found from RC users too, as they are using lipo batteries a lot today.

Batteries from hobby King are cheaper and better.

You need a specific lipo battery charger. Do not get a dumb charger. You NEED a smart charger.

You would then hook them up to your gun using the same connectors as any other tamiya connector.

I was thinking of upgrading my AEG to an 11.1V LiPo, but I don't know how to hook it up. The battery is this:

https://www.airrattle.com/11-1v-1000Mah-20C-Lithium-Polymer-Stick-Battery-p/tenergy-31598.htm

and I have no experience with LiPo batteries. What all do I need for this and how do I go about hooking it up? The gun is a King Arms AEG SVD.

What an icky battery.

Running LiPo's isn't rocket science, it's actually very simple, and there are only a few key things you will need to know when using them over NiMh or NiCad.

1: Use a LiPo charger, don't EVER use a NiMh charger or a charger that charges through the plug you connect it to the airsoft gun with - doing so will destroy the battery.

2: Running a LiPo without a mosfet will char your trigger contacts - this is the same effect as running your gun on a large 9.6v or higher battery, only the charring is quicker.

3: Don't use that tiny battery - it's too small and too low amperage, use something like this. It has a bit more capacity and discharge, both of which are important.

4: When using your gun, if/when you hear your gun slowing down at all - you need to stop using the battery immediately - draining it further will damage it.

The battery I linked comes in Tamiya, assuming you have not changed the connector on your SVD, you can just plug it in and go.

As for chargers, you can get away with a basic balance charger, but I personally use an iMax B6AC charger and won't ever look back. This is the one I bought. It'll cost a bit to have it shipped from their international warehouse but to be honest I don't foresee ever needing a better charger than this because it charges everything I use, from my small NiMh packs to my 4000Mah 11.1v LiPo.

Edited by Jerichow

Running LiPo's isn't rocket science, it's actually very simple, and there are only a few key things you will need to know when using them over NiMh or NiCad.

2: Running a LiPo without a mosfet will char your trigger contacts - this is the same effect as running your gun on a large 9.6v or higher battery, only the charring is quicker.

3: Don't use that tiny battery - it's too small and too low amperage, use something like this. It has a bit more capacity and discharge, both of which are important.

As for chargers, you can get away with a basic balance charger, but I personally use an iMax B6AC charger and won't ever look back. This is the one I bought. It'll cost a bit to have it shipped from their international warehouse but to be honest I don't foresee ever needing a better charger than this because it charges everything I use, from my small NiMh packs to my 4000Mah 11.1v LiPo.

Point 2 is incorrect in concept. a 2S lipo will not char your contacts. It is similar in running a 7 cell NIMH due to the voltage range being similar.

The battery is pictured is essentially the same as the one you pictured. Albeit discharge capacity is a fair bit lower for the Tenergy unit and twice as expensive.

Edited by Guges Mk3

True, he was going with an 11.1v LiPo so I was basing it off of that assumption, but yes you're right, a 7.4v won't char contacts.

That's why I linked the one I did, it's very similar in dimensions, but it's got better capacity and discharge, while being half the cost. He could *effectively* have 2400Mah of capacity in the two batteries he could buy for the price of the single 1000Mah Tenergy.

1: Use a LiPo charger, don't EVER use a NiMh charger or a charger that charges through the plug you connect it to the airsoft gun with - doing so will destroy the battery.

4: When using your gun, if/when you hear your gun slowing down at all - you need to stop using the battery immediately - draining it further will damage it.

The battery I linked comes in Tamiya, assuming you have not changed the connector on your SVD, you can just plug it in and go.

Computer chargers charge through the main contact, the balancing contact is meant for balancing the cells, hence the name balancing contact. The balancing contact and it's wires are too thin to handle the charging currents that a high quality li-po battery can be charged at safely.

A 2 cell li-po battery can char the contacts, as can a 7 cell ni-mh battery, depending on the specs of the battery and the current drain of the motor. Run 30+ amps through those feeble trigger contacts even at relatively low voltage can cause quite a bit of damage. The arcing is typically reduced at lower voltage, but can still occur at high currents.

I definitely agree with going with a Turnigy Nanotech over an overpriced Tenergy li-po, my Turnigy Nanotech's have served me well for several seasons now.

Point 2 is incorrect in concept. a 2S lipo will not char your contacts. It is similar in running a 7 cell NIMH due to the voltage range being similar.

It's all about the volts

Edited by MrGearbox