Shutaro

Aggression? (or lack thereof)

I'm curious how you guys respond when you are on a team that is playing under-aggressive. How do you motivate them to ramp up their aggression and go on the offensive or apply pressure on the enemy when they should be?

Likewise for an aggressive tactic, like an all-out charge into enemy fire that will certainly get at least some of you sent back to respawn? How do you motivate everyone to get up and charge, even multiple times, when it just has to be done?

I played my first real 'big game' a few weeks ago and we always did well when we were aggressive enough. Even if that meant sacrificing half our numbers in an all-out charge into the woods that had failed twice before (the charge was completely wiped out before we could break into the woods).

The thing is, when we were playing the 'evil' side, everyone was in character and you would just raise a sword above your head and yell something like 'for the horde!' and everyone would just rush right in. So it we barely even needed to motivate people, if anything, we had problems with people being too eager to charge and not enough to stay back and provide cover fire or defend if the charge failed. Then when we were playing the 'good' side, people played far too conservatively, like they valued their own lives too much or something like that. We still won, but it was a much slower advance, even with our leaders doing the best to motivate everyone else into being aggressive and pressing forward.

I've always tried to lead by example. A lot of games I attend, I see a lot of players crowding behind cover, not moving, and getting pinned down. I try to make it to the next set of cover. Usually I play with 1-4 other friends and we work together. Because we work together, we are usually able to get a few of us to the next set of cover. Once players see someone else "made it", I think they become more motivated to try and make it themselves. No one wants to be "first"

Our leaders always lead by example. Well, almost always, at least.

We once had a guy who called himself 'the general' who tried to order people around, this was when we were looking for new members for the team. He bragged about being a commander and made the claim that no team that had followed his orders had ever lost a single game. So the team decided to humor him for a game.

He went into the match doing his thing, like some crazy formation, 'you two stand in front of me so I don't get hit... you watch my left flank, you watch right, and you, guard my back! Oh, you over there, stand by me and when one of the front guys falls, you take his place!' He marched people forward in this crazy formation, no cover or anything; when the enemy was spotted he ordered two guys to 'run straight at the enemy and distract them, while I sneak around and get the kill.' Most of us just kinda looked at him funny, it was an awkward silence that ended with the guy who he had told to guard his back shooting him in (in the back). I remember laughing so hard then, he tried to argue but we told him friendly fire counts and dead men don't talk, I was like 'Dude, sorry the general gig didn't work out, go back to respawn and fight on.' but the guy ended up stomping off the field, got in his truck and drove off, never saw him at the field since then.

I talk to players and build rapport with them on the field and at staging. Then during play, I will be towards the front in covered/concealed positions and encourage people to join me there because I am getting all the kills.

Everyone wants to slay opfor so when you tell them you have a good spot and they see you are not getting hit they will join you fast.

I normally start yellin at my team if I push up then learn that I'm the only person on my team in a 200ft radius.

This one time I had a team completely 10 y/o and stuff and I made a plan where they would distract a team by shooting at them for a long time (it was hardcore). I them came around and took out the whole team while they were battling to 10 y/o's. Sometimes you can use an "non" aggressive team to your advantage. You just need to give them some good cover and a simple job.

It usually depends on the game at hand and who I'm playing with. Age group and experience really plays a big part in how I interact with the people.

Typically I try to rally the younger players that might not be as familiar with the game, field, or scenario we're playing currently. A lot of times I come across a group of players hiding behind cover taking pot shots at what they *think* is the enemy, and I have to inform them that the enemy forces have fallen back and that they're 'x' feet back from the front lines. Usually this is enough to persuade them to advance towards the front lines, other times I tell a group of them to follow me and I will lead them to a better area where they will actually be useful in the fight.

It also helps to point out to the passive players where things are, like where the enemy forces are, where the objective to defend/take is at, and where the rest of our team is at. Clarity goes a long way in adding confidence to a player, which will let them naturally play more aggressive even if they're defending a point.

On the other hand if I see players getting too aggressive, that's harder, especially if we're attacking. Usually I have to wait until they're out and walking back to the spawn point, and explain that we have too few people going that direction to back him up and if he wants to go Hulk-Mode on the enemy, there's another point where our guys are pushing up that he can put his aggression to better use. If we're defending, it's best to explain where the best choke points on the field are, and explain that if we just hunker down and don't let them past those points, we will win the game. At that point, if they still want to go all CallOfDuty-KDA-is-everything mode, that's on them, I'm not covering them when they go too aggressive for kills.

I don't play as a team team. I usually go with a handful of guys and we roll as a unit. If people follow, great, if not, more kills for us. So, find some guys to run with, and you won't have this problem. Plus, we always laugh at the guy who yells, "MOVE FORWARD!!" and nobody budgets.

Plus, we always laugh at the guy who yells, "MOVE FORWARD!!" and nobody budgets.

That's me :D

Honestly though it really gets on my nerves when the area is completely clear of opposing players and my whole team is still sitting in the spawn. And then enemy players show up and my teammates end up friendly-firing me in the back :/

Lol!! Thing is, you're absolutely right in pushing up, just everyone behind you doesn't quite understand why it's necessary to push or don't have the balls to do it. Way I see it, you get to respawn, so who cares!! If you're able to push far enough up, you can die, have them hold the line and after respawn run back up. It works, you just need a couple of guys willing to do it.