Sign in to follow this  
Say10

Back pain

I haven't played a game in about 2 1/2 months thanks to work, and today I got the chance to do a pickup game with some of my team and a few casuals. I ran my full gear which consists of a battle belt and a plate carrier. Between that I have a pistol, 2 pistol mags, 8 plastic m4 mags, a speed loader, a hydration carrier (it stayed empty), a radio, and a spare battery. That's not really a heavy load in my opinion because my backpack for school this past year weighed more.

No the carrier isn't too tight, everything is fairly evenly distributed weightwise, and the carrier isn't being supported by my shoulders

However I noticed about 10 minutes in today that it hurt my mid back pretty bad. It was constant and got worse at a slow rate. I didn't have this problem before when I would play about once or twice every other weekend. Is there something I am doing wrong or am I just really that out of shape?

Your school bag may weigh more but backpacks are meant to support heavy loads better plus there's a huge difference in the activities involved between walking around campus and ducking and weaving behind cover. If the pain is a mild throbbing that progresses that's very likely strain: you're over working muscles in ways they're not accustomed to. Do regular back exerceises, plain and simple.

You are likely out of shape and or for whatever reason you weren't warmed up. I had crazy problems before I started taking better care of myself.

Consider running at least 3 times a week in addition to lifting twice a week. You can do both on the same day if you like. You don't need a gym per se though it can help. Bodyweight exercises like pullups, pushups, and squats are great no matter your training level.

It will take some time and doing but it is worth every bit of perceived discomfort.

Edited by SecondWind

You may have injured you back early on in a minor way and continued movement under weight and pressure furthered the injury. Or you could have atrophied from lack of using those muscles for those months. It happens quicker than you would think. Hitting the gym and doing some running are excellent suggestions and will do a lot to prevent injury. But if it hurts in the same place and way, stop for a while and let it heal. I have actual back problems, and something I do though it is not recommended, is that I take a recommended dose of ibuprofen (Advil) a half hour before I do something strenuous. It is an anti-inflammatory, so if somethings not right before hand, or gets injured during the event, the damage is reduced because of a lack of ensuing inflammation. This indirectly helps it hurt less as well. Just keep in mind that Ibuprofen builds up in you liver and can be bad for you.

One trick to keep in mind is a simple core exercise. Throughout your day clench your ab muscles and hold them that way. Also, stand/sit strait. Its a habit I've had to adopt as 10+ years of sword-fighting has taken its toll on me. It will take some time to get solid results but its helped me immensely with my back pain.

~D

Edited by Akdust