to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
PyroStrike

Multiple Objective Games

So, has anyone had anything like this happen?

You've been briefed. 1) Find the bomb 2) Get the bomb to the armoury 3) Blow it to kindom come.

The whistle blows and it's game on. You rush into the maze-like skirmish site.

3 respawns later, you finally find the armoury. But no sign of the bomb.

So you search, picking off OPFOR as you can. But still no sign of the bomb or your team moving it.

Then bam, end of game, armoury destroyed. 1 hour of play, and not one bit of involvment with the

objective.

Admitadly, knowing the layout is a huge benefit. But sometimes the martials move objectives to random

places, meaning only a lucky few actually get in on the mission action. I've always though that having

a lot of small objectives (like find as many virus test tubes as possible out of the 100 dotted around

the site) would allow more people in on the action as well as encourage players to move around more and

not just get into a stand off over THE objective point.

Anyone ever seen this done? and how did it work out?

Edited by PyroStrike

Communicate. When even one person on the team finds the objective, within 5 minutes, everyone on the team should know about it. Whatever system you use, runners, radios, echo, or whatever, it needs to be quick in getting the message out to all team members.

Also, OODA. On all levels (personal, unit, and team). I know we have a lot of success splitting the team into two or three units and then aggressive pushing. Watch how the enemy responds to each push as this might give clues where the objectives he is trying to defend are.

A smart enemy may try to do things to draw you off target, so don't get bogged down. Speed is of the essence. If you become pinned, or can no longer advance, sometimes it makes sense to retreat and try a different avenue of attack. Other times, you may want to call for reinforcements and try to push through. But in the opening stages, simply try to cover ground. Once you have traveled through most of the field, even if you didn't find the objective, then use process of elimination -- it's somewhere where you weren't able to go or haven't gone yet.

All fair points shutaro. However ive found on open skirmish days tha communication isn't peoples strong point. You get groups who move well together, but the 70% of walk ons just run around pretty cluelessly. Far cry from milsim organisation.

Either way, how does the idea of multiple objectives sound as a game dynamic. Allows for smalled groups to act by themselves to acomplish a goal. Could also allow both teams to be on the offensive as opposed to having attack and defend?

Pyro, for airsoft, I think it goes against KISS. For daily battle, you should be able to explain the objective(s) of the game in one or two sentences. Simple objectives can allow for a lot of complexity, for instance we did a series of games the other day where monopoly money was scattered across the field and the team to collect the most money and bring it back to their base won. The simple rule, if you were carrying money and were hit, you drop the money before heading back to respawn.

When I was in paintball around the turn of the century, we did complex scenarios, our favorite was israelis versus palestinians where the terrorists would compete among themselves for different objectives such as bombing a school bus, poisoning a well, wiping out a village, and assassinating a member of the knesset. Every objective had a time window, and if the terrorists couldn't achieve it within that window, the IDF got the points instead. As well, they also had to work together to gain capabilities by controlling key buildings like the 'bomb factory', 'sam site', etc. -- to restock their explosives (necessary to complete certain objectives) or to protect against airstrikes from the IAF and a tunnel network to receive ordinance from egypt. But these scenarios would be hard to run in airsoft b'cos we would have no way of scoring -- unlike paintball where we could use different colors of paint (fill) to know which side had taken out a HVT (or if a human shield had been taken out by IDF fire). It also required a specialized group of friends were were willing to put on these scenarios, as well as a certain mindset for players who were trying to score points as a team rather than glory hounds trying to score individual kills for nothing more than their own satisfaction. As a paintballer these were some of my most memorable moments, the infighting among the three terrorist teams was legendary, temporary alliances and betrayal were the norm. Our final time playing this scenario, the IDF rolled over all of us b'cos of failure to cooperate at all... my main point is that, with such complex objectives, they have to be balanced to give each team an even chance of winning, which can be extremely difficult if the meta has changed or if there's a lot of new players who you'll have no way of knowing how they will behave. In our final game, despite the complex objectives and team dynamic, it ended up as a rather simple defeat and no real chance at achieving all those multiple objectives.

KISS is so much easier to balance, go back to my example of scattering money throughout the field. As long as the starting positions are roughly equal, and the distribution of money is even, then it should be a good game. When you have something like test tubes with a viral agent, then the game has to be balanced between the good guys who are trying to clean up the virus and the bad guys who are trying to spread it, depending on how the logistics are worked out (ie. can the decontamination / disposal lab be captured by the bad guys?) one side or another might have an inherent advantage if, say, the bad guys only have to break the test tubes while the good guys have to bring them back to a facility to dispose of them safely, and/or hold the lab long enough after a certain number of samples have been retrieved to develop a vaccine to the virus.

As for 'open skirmish days' and the lack of communication, what we've always tried to do is set an example of aggression and include the walk ons in our units of regulars even if we don't know who they are. If we have enough regulars in our group, the walk-ons tend to follow the example that we set, even if they are just bringing up the rear or providing suppressive fire it opens up all the front and mid roles for us regulars.

Edited by Shutaro

Woah. Ok, I think we have a lack of clarity :p

I just used test tubes to put a name to the 'thing' to collect. Essentially, it would be an identical game to collecting monopoly money (is there a name for this sort of mission? Recovery maybe) Simple rule, but a more analogue objective than a success/fail one. I've seen people just give up on trying to win a game when the martials call 5 minutes because they don't see it as possible, don't see that happening in a recovery mission.

Still keeps with KISS to make it attack vs defend or attack vs attack.

Totally agree that needing to spend half an hour explaining the different styles and types of objective is a big nooooooo. Unless the brief is 'capture as many domination points as you can' and each point has the instructions on how to capture it at the point like 'spin handle to your team colour' and 'crack the code'.

Nice idea with the paintball. Assume that was pretty much the whole day on one mission?

The paintball games were single day scenarios. We tried airsoft back then but the people doing airsoft (locally) were not that kind to my group.

The 'test tubes' thing sounds fine then, when you said virus test tubes I assumed it would be something asymmetric.

When we do those 'spin the handle' or 'raise your color flag' types of games, those can be pretty fun b'cos we put the objective in the middle of the field with no cover at all. So if you go for the objective, you basically have to sacrifice yourself, you will get a couple of seconds turning the wheel before you get shot and sent back to respawn. We also do a lot of center flag games and those can be pretty fun with two teams that are playing aggressively. If you can sacrifice yourself to move the flag even a few feet, it can be a good trade.

A lot of us today are former paintball players so our games tend to be pretty aggressive. If it comes down to 5 minutes in something like a center flag game that seems like a stalemate, giving up is the last thing we are going to do. I've seen things like an all-out flag blitz where one team sends all its nearby players to rush the flag at once. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's a sure way to end a stalemate for better or worse.

Here, I think the key is that if the game is going to be 30 minutes or less, finding the objective shouldn't be part of the game. Unless one side has a big numerical advantage. We've done 'attack/defend' games where the defenders are defending a flag that is hidden somewhere in the woods, but are also outnumbered two to one. The only advantage the defenders get is that they can set up anywhere on the field to begin with, while the attackers all start in one place. These can be great games, but only if the attackers are going to push aggressively and use their numerical advantage.

Edited by Shutaro