1homer18

Cylinder to barrel question

hey guys, I've got a quick question to ask; can a 363mm barrel take a type o cylinder? I took my gun to a tech to fit in a 140 spring, and they said using this cylinder got the job done without the spring, but as we all know, this can cause compression issues. I'd like to know if this is what is causing range issues on my gun.

(G&g cm16-L)

A bit over kill but it will work.

The wave impulse begins much quicker with a Type 0. So the bb will leave the barrel before the complete pressure wave hits.

You could replicate the same FPS with a Type 2 and a M130 in this case.

And a M140 spring? Kiss your mechbox good bye.

Why in do you want a M140?

Edited by Guges Mk3

I was using that spring to compensate for my fps issue on my gun, I was shooting 280 fps with the stock spring in the cm, I wanted an fps over 400 to dmr, the techs said the job was done with the cylinder. And what do you mean by overkill? Also, can this affect compression to the point where range is around 90-110 feet?

In simple terms: Overkill - To much pressure for your short barrel. It's physics...

Also the new cylinder may not be suited for the Stock cylinder and piston head and thus compression will suffer.

In detailed terms:

I suspect your "tech" is a bit lacking in the cylinder to spring to FPS game. A Stock set-up with a M125 would get you over 400 with far less stress. And with good tuning you can do it with a M120

In your case since you have a type 0 and mega spring. This is developing the Large Impulse Pressure Wave. In a short barrel that does not work very well. Notice that no MP5K's are hitting 400fps, ever?

If your CM is the Blow back model. You will definitely DESTROY your mechbox in rather short order. NEVER run a spring higher than a M120 on a CM blow back model. Any experienced tech will know this.

However, if yours has no blow back model it will be okay for a little while.

And as I look into your information more....the tech definitely is rather inexperienced. The Cylinder is a PIECE of the solution to get your AEG over 400. But, your AEG is a complete system and needs to be treated and tuned as a WHOLE system. And not just slapping in cylinder and spring. It's not a video game gun where piece x instantly adds performance value 45. Putting in a bigger spring will also require you to compensate for the increased needs of pulling and releasing that spring.

By switching out the Type 0 and reinstalling your stock cylinder. You will net a good ~160fps boost, provided you have perfect compression and you are still using the M140 spring. I know of no field that will allow a DMR to hit over 450fps with .20g though and you will be in the ~462 range with stock cylinder, .20g bbs on a M140 spring.

Now if you short stroke the AEG you can knock it down to 450 range easy...but then you would never Need a Type 0 Cylinder.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Thank you for the in depth reply, I appreciate it. Now the spring in the gun is actually an m110 and fires at 360, I had to settle for that because I didn't want to mess with the gun any further. I only took the weapon to the tech because the 140 was too hard to install, the tech instead told me that all he could do was change the cylinder and put a 110. everything in the weapon was installed by me. The mechbox window is radiused, I've got a Sorbo, I have a g&g polycarbonate piston and a lonex POM ball bearing piston head too. And my gun is non-blowback and aoe is corrected. Sorry I should've mentioned this earlier. With this being said, do you think there is a compression issue lowering the range? Or could that be a different thing?

You may want to buy some heavy bbs and test a type 0 cylinder, you may get good results with a joule creep build. The heavy bbs will help you with the extra range and accuracy. Some of my best dmr's are joule creeping.

Edited by MrGearbox

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna be getting some .25 soon. I'd just like to know if the type zero can cause low compression in a 363. I see what you mean by joule creep, I honk that's a good idea. Do you think flat hopping could fix my range problem? I had a theory that maybe my lonex soft bucking might be the problem. I checked it for damage and there isn't any noticeable damage, my hopup is stock, I was thinking about getting a prowin, a lonex purple, and a firefly flat nub. What do you think?