Say10

Local field joule limit seems a bit high

My local field has decided to use joules instead of fps at chrono to combat joule creep. But I think that the limit of 3.64 joules is somewhat high considering that would be 427 fps w/ a .43.

My question is, how safe or unsafe is that? Kind that are shooting that hard have an MED of 100ft but I still feel like it could be a problem. This isn't a renegade field either. It's a well regulated field with insurance and waivers, the whole nine yards. I've just heard most places won't do more than 550 fps w/ a .20 for a BASR which is only 2.81 joules. Thoughts?

WAY to high...does this field have an upgrade store...I think they are trying to drum up upgrade and repair services for all the wrecked guns that will occur with trying to push that speed.

Plus...some eye protection is not rated for that much energy.

Yeah I thought that it was a bit insane, typical South Carolina. Trying to prove how macho you are by being stupid. And they do have a store. I just saw that on their chrono and didn't think much of it because it was reading 427fps on a BASR but when I got up there I saw it was with a .43 and I got concerned

Nothing above 2 joules, 2.8 for snipers. 550 with .20g is the limit at my field and that is for the snipers with 100 foot. We had a few accidents where people got shot too close by a sniper and it hurt. With those limits you will probably see some bb's breaking the skin and bleeders, make sure to protect your face completely, full frontal face and ears at least. I honestly wouldn't go on a field like that without a paintball mask and clothing and a long sleeve shirt, gloves, etc.

Most fields I have been too have similar rules. I've never heard of a field going above 600fps with .20g, some do have a lower sniper MER as low as 60 feet.

Edited by Shutaro

They've even going for years and the regulars wear button down Hawaiian shirts and khakis, goggles and maybe gloves if it's cold. I swear I'm not making this up, If you want look up esque airsoft community, or airsoft organization of South Carolina on FB. And no they aren't trolling me

As far as insurance, I think a 285 FPS on a paintball will result in excess of 10 joules. Although not apples to oranges on the welt scale, the insurability issue with a 6 joule airsoft BB; is probably moot for the insurance adjuster.