Sign in to follow this  
Automobilie

Tactile switch hair trigger mod

Since I usually have MOSFETs in my guns I've been wanting to try different trigger mechanisms. Having a bunch of tactile switches from an old VCR, and that they fit into the contact housing easily I decided to solder them in and tweak the trigger engagement to get a much shorter trigger pull while minimizing double firing on semi.

Here's the album http://imgur.com/a/AIMrZ

Basically, the trigger on my Spectre was soggy and would frequently double fire on semi. At first, widening the contacts worked, but the trigger felt worse. I've always wanted to try using a micro-switch or tactile switch in place of springy contact tabs. Since the RDP has a MOSFET it could the current and a light duty switch could be adjusted and used. By using a switch and adjusting contact points you can get a trigger that engages quickly and sharply. A micro switch should have better lifespan, so I'm curious how well this switch will hold up in the long run.

The double firing is still there, but much much better. The slop in the gearbox shell and trolley are a bit too much to adjust it out all the way. I have thought about moving wires around and adding a set screw so that the trigger contacts could be adjusted right to the point it stops double firing.

Here's a video of the result https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNYvoOLbNfA&feature=youtu.be

That means buying an entire new gearbox shell, wiring harness, and then refitting every part to work with it if it'll work with the body. This was a $0.50 switch and mostly an experiment to see what was needed to make it work.