swatti

Paint-quides for BLACK ALUMINIUM parts? - worn out look

Been watching ~2 hours of painting quides, any and all quides how to get that worn out look BUT they are seemingly all for khaki/darkearth/etc colors and I totaly hate those... "Kids play in the sandbox, real men don't" ^^

Issue is, how to treat SANDED ALUMINIUM PARTS, the bare metal that comes visible. Sanding & steelwire gives the natural worn look and hey, its a 20 dollar M4 body so no worries if it looks horrid or goes boo boo.

Sanding however does have one issue, it shines the surface and leaving the body out in the moisty/rainy backyard did very little to improve the looks. The other parts did catch a nice bit of rust but the alu-parts look "miss matching" and could use a darker tone

One other issue is also the aluminium factory-coating, in some parts if far stronger then regular paint and it wont "chip off" but simply starts to shine before I even get to the actual metal underneath.

Please don't paste any quides unless it specificly has BLACK parts being treated and that part being ALUMINIUM, like a M4 body is.

Im hoping you understood, my rallye-driver english lacks many specific terms.

You want the bare aluminum parts to oxidize for a more realistic look?

FYI aluminum is very resistant to surface oxidation. It gets a thin film, but is more or less transparent. If you want it to darken up naturally it has to be made of a low purity aluminum alloy or not made of aluminum at all like zinc and no real AR receivers are ever made in zinc. What Guges suggests will work in darkening aluminum from grey to black, but it will make your AR look realistically like a cheap china made airsoft M4 out of diecast zinc.

Well, I gave it the usual steel wire -treatment and it turned out quite decent.

SHOULD HAVE given it a steel grey base coating and black on top. Or vice versa but went with just black spray paint.

Problem is that the stock and front-end have quite a few steel parts, rusted and ugly while the receiver looks less natural wear.

Oh well, few more details and this AR genuinely stands out from the rest.

Problem is that the stock and front-end have quite a few steel parts, rusted and ugly while the receiver looks less natural wear.

Problem is that you're under the impression that ARs wear down gracefully like AKs. They don't which is why most people would rather go the crudded up with sand route.

2wmq2yq.jpg