Enterprenure

Do you even need a sidearm?

I have owned many gas blowback pistols in the past, but I am getting into airsoft again and I have to buy all new gear. I play outdoor mainly now, and I have an aeg and all of the most necessary items, and I am now searching for the smaller items that I may need. I am looking around for pistols, but I'm not sure if I actually need one. I feel like it takes longer to take out a sidearm than reload an M4, and the mags for gas guns can be extremely troublesome, and can break way quicker than a simple aeg midcap mag. Also, sidearms are pretty heavy and gbb's of course take a lot of maintenance. I definitely like pistols because they are really fun and look nice though. I feel like I am just looking at the negative side of pistols, but I think it might help if I get insight from you guys on the real usefulness of a pistol, and if how it can enhance my survivability in matches.

Honestly, in outdoor play, I have never found that I needed a pistol. I have never pulled it. Indoor/building games, yes, as well as pistol only matches. But if you are talking outdoor milsim type games, then no, I don't think you really need one.

In the grand scheme of things, no. Though they have innumerable uses in this hobby, it boils down to being just fun.

But from your comments, sidearms are backups. Of course it's easier to reload your primary than pull out a handgun, in most cases at least, but why would you want to pull it out in the first place? It's there if and when your primary goes down where reloading it is no longer an option.

Guest alberty

Every time I have played outdoor or even in an indoor long-time MilSim game, I've rarely or never seriously used my GBB pistol that I carry with me as a sidearm. So, in my case, which is common, it's really just a sidearm/backup.

If your main gun is reliable, you can reload effectively, and you have enough magazines or don't waste ammo, you may never have a serious need to draw your sidearm.

If you really don't find yourself using one, you don't need to carry one if you decide on that.

Here some reasons why I think some people may carry one for their airsoft games:

- Simulation of what a real combatant may carry

- Backup in case your main gun stops working or you run out of ammo/magazines

- Backup in case a teammate quickly needs a substitute gun

- Handing to a rescued character (example: you play a game in which you rescue a POW)

- Sidearm if your main gun is not good for quick close encounters, such as a bolt-action sniper rifle

- If your field has strict rules about MED, in which you cannot use your main gun when someone is close (example: you have a high FPS "DMR" and then enemies get too close for you to shoot them with the DMR), then you may use your sidearm that has a lower, allowed FPS rating.

Edited by alberty

for outdoor use. Its not a quite a "need" its more-so a good thing to have one in cause ammo is exausted on your primariy (midcaps, or Ares LMG for instance).

I've used mine, mostly for pistols only games indoors/ or smaller speed ball fields. In accual bigger games. its mostly only used if my LMG's go down. or need to help clear bunkers. a Mg42 isn't exactly easy to man handle in confined spaces. (working on build a more modern plate form, but all signs point to 240b. as the CA/ca pattern rotary hop-up and past experinces have never been that great.

That being said. I love my TM (Guarder) Desert Eagle to Death, however if going to a serious game. Ill run my Hk3 XDM. as its lighter. and mags accually fit 9mm pouches, where as the DE mags, only fit on there own pouches :x.

• Upvote 1

It will also depend on where you play and the rules there. As everyone says, 'need' is relative. I carried mine with me at one location for seven games before I ever even drew it.....and then I used all four of the mags I had for it in an intense close range pistol fight. Some places only allow you to engage inside with a sidearm only and as some have said, some places have pistol/gbb games only.

So its all about how you want to roll

Need is quite the relative term, I play exclusively field games as there is no indoor fields in my state. Despite that I still carry and have effectively used my sidearm on multiple occasions. I run an WE open bolt m16 as my primary and as such its a real pain to bring to bear at close range. As such using my pistol is a great supplement to that.

Also on occasion I have "baited" other players in close, leaving myself seemingly unaware of a player "sneaking" up on me and when they pause to say bang, I shoot them. The pistol gives me a second angle of attack, so while I may be looking down field I have the option to engage someone on a "flank".

To note, our "bang bang" rule is a courtesy and is only binding if the player submits. So if I call bang on a person they can either accept the hit or attempt to fire back in which case I will need to pull that trigger. Most players submit, I find it fun to quick draw on the more experienced folks.

~D

Today I ran a AEG p90 and a GBB m9 in my hip holster for several rounds of what ya'll would call speedsoft.
Go figure, the one round I thought "yeah, I'm sick of this extera weight" and left the pistol in my backpack the hopup on my p90 fouled up and jammed, and I had to leave the match. :( I could have kept playing if I carried my pistol. To be honest for this to be a good reason your primary has to have significant problems.

On the other hand, if you are able to carry the pistol in a comfortable way that doesn't foul up your mobility (I f**** hate leg holsters) its a great fashion item. Everyone on the field though I was an expert (lol) and wanted to defer tactical decisions to me (I did not accept because I'm not really that good at the game). So if you want, it can be a badge of "I'm serious about this sport" and can give you a sort of weight of authority.