Sign in to follow this  
FAR1OUT1OPS

"Military" gear

So I'm going to sound like a jerk for this I'm sure but how do you guys decide what is considered a "military" loadout? Between different branches special forces or whatever else? Only reason I ask is because I have been around military for the last three years and alot of what you guys say is what we use is far from it....

Understand that there's a very wide demographic for those that enjoy airsoft from teenagers who consider video games as a legitimate resource for loadout and equipment information to active and retired military personnel who use airsoft as a training supplement or just a means to lose stress. The answer will be different depending on who you ask and even those lines can differ among those who participate stricter milsim games.

• Upvote 1

I think there is a lot of people out there that get confused between "military/law enforcment" equipment and actually being "Milsim". Personally I don't do either because I can't understand how killing myself in 40+ lbs of gear is considered fun, I would rather have things that are light, and easy to move in. (be it "Military" equipment or not)

Guest alberty

I think there is a lot of people out there that get confused between "military/law enforcment" equipment and actually being "Milsim". Personally I don't do either because I can't understand how killing myself in 40+ lbs of gear is considered fun, I would rather have things that are light, and easy to move in. (be it "Military" equipment or not)

What's "being 'Milsim' " if it's not involving the use of military/law enforcement equipment? Just wondering.

MilSim is Military Simulation. If you want to have a load out similar to an actual soldier's look at a picture of some one from the branch or special forces that you wish to emulate, or even find some technical manuals depicting the intended use of a certain system, and mimic it to the best of your ability and budget. Same for LEO loadouts. But a Military load out, as I was taught in boot camp, will typically consist of 5 things; Water, Coms, First Aide or Blow out Kit, Ammunition, and lastly Mission essential gear which would include your armor, helmet, tools, goggles, secondary weapons, tertiary weapons, ammunition for said weapons, weapon attachments, other such gear, and anything special needed to complete the mission. Anything extra is dead weight. LEOs, I would think, would carry even less as their tasks, again I would think, are a little less varied and follow a much shorter time line. Special forces units would typically follow a mantra of, if it works it isn't stupid, and would therefore stray from the conventional guidelines and do more what suits them particularly. In any military load out, special forces or otherwise, you are likely to see a lot of electrical tape taping down straps and stuff to make the gear more quiet. But the most important thing to consider when making a military load out is that MISSION DRIVES THE GEAR YOU USE AND HOW YOU USE IT. If your engagement distances, in the military not the airsoft field, are going to be longer than 100 yards consistently, than you are going to have a guy on your team with a DMR and you are going to keep as much stuff off of the front of your gear so you could get into the prone easier and present the smallest target possible. If you are going to be kicking in doors or doing a lot of close quarters stuff, you may loose the DMR and you'd definitely have a guy with a shotty for breaching. You'd carry more ammunition based on the expected duration of the exercise. You'd keep your ammunition in front because you can reload faster with it in that position and you'd pack a dump pouch so you could retain your mags. You might even keep your pistol, First Aide, and pistol mags on a drop leg so that you could carry more rifle ammo on your vest. You'd also be more likely to whear a flack vest and more PPE, like knee pads and elbow pads, over a lighter plate carrier.

Edited by Ikilljoy