Sign in to follow this  
ross_jsy

Tippman vs P*

Hey guys

First off, apologies, I am sure this topic has been done to death, but there is nothing like first hand feedback as apposed to trawling through old threads.

I haven't played airsoft in years as I live on a small island and the field closed down. However it has recently opened up again so I have dragged my old gun out the attic and put it back together (I had stripped it before putting it away out of boredom).

My current primary is an ICS m4 Anniversary Edition (was quite shocked when I realised it was 10 years old!) and was quite modified internally and shoots at about 450fps and has many 10's of thousands of rounds through it. While I like it, it's getting long in the tooth.

I always wanted a classic airsoft gun, but the price and rarity put me off. But now it seems that style has come back in fashion. The game has changed a lot since I last played.

So I've been doing some research and liked the look of the Fusion Engine and thought I would build it into my ICS body, but I have also seen Tippman's which look like they come ready to rock and for less than it will cost me to build an FE powered gun.

What would you guys do and why? I really like the idea of a bit of recoil from the Tippman, but at the same time the customisability of the FE appeals to me and it looks like a stunning bit of kit. If I got the Tippman it would mean I can keep the ICS as an AEG as a backup though. Tough call!

Thanks in advance

Ross

What about Wolverine Airsoft's Inferno and Hydra SMP? Super versatile, easy to change with their blutooth FCU, more cost effective than a P*, and whole lot simpler as SMP stands for Singe Moving Part. Idk anything about the tippman but when I go HPA, it will be SMP.

The jack is more air efficient, cheaper, and the FCU is a lot newer. A Polarstar FE has about 20-35 rps that you an choose, and the jack has 1-99 rps (not that you can easily get to 99 rps) The jack is also only part of the gearbox, so you can give your gun a custom trigger or anything else you want to put in your GB.

Guest alberty

Is your ICS M4 a split gearbox model? If so, then I don't think a Fusion Engine works in that without modification. Not 100% sure, but it is known that the ICS split gearbox has its own design and is not the same as a regular TM-style body.

The jack is more air efficient, cheaper, and the FCU is a lot newer. A Polarstar FE has about 20-35 rps that you an choose, and the jack has 1-99 rps (not that you can easily get to 99 rps) The jack is also only part of the gearbox, so you can give your gun a custom trigger or anything else you want to put in your GB.

You can get the Fusion Engine to like 70-80 rps, it's been done before. I am not sure where you are getting info that it can only go to 35 rps. It can also go down to a very slow RPS like 10.

Example: https://youtu.be/zbyi51Xeq6U and

The FE and JACK have the same FCU actually...just different firmware, since the JACK system is different than the FE. For example, JACK has one solenoid while the FE has two solenoids.

That's why the JACK has a direct rate of fire number setting, while the FE's rate of fire number setting works differently. It's not an equal comparison because they're different systems.

Regarding trigger...both the FE and JACK can use a custom trigger. They both use AEG triggers...

Edited by alberty

The FE can be used in an ICS, it just requires some light modification of the receiver. Take a look here:

http://www.bingoairsoftworks.com/ics-m4-split-gear-box-polarstar-fusion-engine-conversion/

And the Jack should work, P* uploaded a video showing one in place of the top gearbox and it looked really tidy.

Thanks for the info, I am being swayed toward the Jack now. Seems like you don't get a whole lot more with the FE

Guest alberty

The FE can be used in an ICS, it just requires some light modification of the receiver. Take a look here:

http://www.bingoairsoftworks.com/ics-m4-split-gear-box-polarstar-fusion-engine-conversion/

And the Jack should work, P* uploaded a video showing one in place of the top gearbox and it looked really tidy.

Thanks for the info, I am being swayed toward the Jack now. Seems like you don't get a whole lot more with the FE

The FE offers a few more options than the JACK does:

- poppet customization ability

- wide range of air nozzle bore selection

- wide range of air nozzle selection for different models (though JACK selection is catching up)

- full shell, good for builds that don't already have an existing gearbox shell available

If I recall correctly, a popular air efficient combo use a low-flow poppet and wide-bore air nozzle.

I personally own a Tippmann, and this is a no BS answer. If you want to walk out into the rain or snow or whatever, you can cause there is no worry about electronics or an FCU, you can adjust the RPS, Velocity, and Hop Up. The only complaint I have with the gun is the hop up, as I'm sure with most people do as well, it isn't the most well designed hop up. Therefore, because of the recoil of the gun, it is very inconsistent when firing either on semi or full auto. But, there is a mod you can do to, not stop, but make the gun a bite more consistent, that mod is the spring hop up mod.

This is the mod where you can take the spring out of a speed loader and put it into the hole at the top of the upper receiver where you can retrieve the Tippmann designed nub. I have done this mod to my Tippmann and it works okay. Also, definitely get a different inner barrel because the stock Tippmann barrels are absolute junk. For now I have a stock VFC barrel in my Tippmann, I will be getting either a Prometheus outer barrel or a Madbull Black Python barrel, both of which are great barrels, its just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

If anyone can help me make my Tippmann more consistent, please let me in on the secret....

Hope I was helpful,

-Robbie

Guest alberty

I personally own a Tippmann, and this is a no BS answer. If you want to walk out into the rain or snow or whatever, you can cause there is no worry about electronics or an FCU, you can adjust the RPS, Velocity, and Hop Up. The only complaint I have with the gun is the hop up, as I'm sure with most people do as well, it isn't the most well designed hop up. Therefore, because of the recoil of the gun, it is very inconsistent when firing either on semi or full auto. But, there is a mod you can do to, not stop, but make the gun a bite more consistent, that mod is the spring hop up mod.

This is the mod where you can take the spring out of a speed loader and put it into the hole at the top of the upper receiver where you can retrieve the Tippmann designed nub. I have done this mod to my Tippmann and it works okay. Also, definitely get a different inner barrel because the stock Tippmann barrels are absolute junk. For now I have a stock VFC barrel in my Tippmann, I will be getting either a Prometheus outer barrel or a Madbull Black Python barrel, both of which are great barrels, its just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

If anyone can help me make my Tippmann more consistent, please let me in on the secret....

Hope I was helpful,

-Robbie

Have you checked out more information on the "TDC" mod for the older Tippmann M4 batch?

Edited by alberty

Guest alberty

Nope, where can I find this TDC mode?

Oops I meant the word "mod" for modification. I think in newer batches, people said something was improved but I don't recall what, was likely related to accuracy/hop things.

Oops I meant the word "mod" for modification. I think in newer batches, people said something was improved but I don't recall what, was likely related to accuracy/hop things.

I wonder if there is a way to modthe old batch to make the hop up like the new batch, cause the old batch's accuracy isn't the best. Granted I don't have an inner barrel nor the the gun flat hopped yet. I would also like to put in a high velocity kit in the thing as well. I would imagine that would raise the joules up a bit, or is there other ways to raise the joules your gun is shooting? I'm not sure how many joules my gun is shooting, I chronoed the gun a while back and it was at 380fps with .28's sooo..... yeah.

The only real difference between the older batch and newer batch Tippmanns is a very slight difference in the diameter of the hop nub hole in the upper receiver to increase the tolerance of the nub movement. The TDC mod (top dead center) can be applied to any tippmann, old or new. Also, there are a couple people making 3d printed nubs that are much tighter to allow less inconsistency. I have been running a tippmann for a couple years now and absolutely love it. Like previously mentioned, there is nothing electronic on it, so it can run in any weather. It is internally regulated, no no need for any external regulator, just a remote line. It can run on hpa or co2 and can use any aeg inner barrel. The tippmann m4 facebook page is an amazing font of knowledge on maintaining/upgrading/modding the tippy. The forward recoil is a little different, but it is still recoil...