Sign in to follow this  
legoclone09

TM USP AEP upgrades

Hello guys! I'm planning on getting a Marui AEP, specifically the USP model, and I would like some upgrade advice, like a better spring and a motor. I already can get stuff for a LiPo mod for $7 on HobbyKing. The AEPs typically shoot around 200-220 FPS and I would like it to shoot a little harder, maybe the 290-300 FPS range. I watched a video on an upgraded TM USP with a better motor and spring and it shot around 270 FPS. Could someone help me find a motor and spring that would fit? If spring ratings are still 90 m/s for M90s and 100 m/s for M100s on AEPs, could you link me a spring that would fit and preferably is M90, and a motor that can handle it. Thanks in advance!

Guest alberty

AEPs have tiny everything, including their motor and spring, and you can't stress it too much or you might break something.

Have you found the USP AEP specific upgrade parts?

TM AEP have pretty much non-existent part support. No one really makes "upgrade" parts for them.

You will have to improvise your own spring...but you are not going to get that thing to shoot 300fps.

Your short a lot of air pressure.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Guest alberty

I've found a motor someone used to upgrade the FPS to 270, but I haven't found any springs. I might be able to get a custom spring, though.

Motor to 270 FPS? That doesn't make sense, the motor does not change the velocity of your gun.

If you do put in such a strong spring trying to get 300 FPS with 0.20g BBs...again be aware that the rest of the internals may not handle it well, whether it be breakage or difficulty to cycle well.

Have you considered other parts needed for reinforcement or longer reliability after upgrading? Like I think you may need to inspect your bushings and spring guide if you change these.

Edited by alberty

Doesn't it just share the majority of its parts with the G18C and M93R? At least, that's what the parts labels say and they're not all that had to find. That being said, 300fps is just about impossible for such a tiny gearbox. The MP7/MAC10/VZ61 can reach that because they have larger displacement pistons to supply more air down the barrel. Even 270fps will be pushing it and would advise you to do it first on a CYMA gearbox should it catastrophically fail.

Sorry for the very late reply (also chose to get a Glock instead since it was cheaper, and felt 'right' for full-auto) but yes, all the internal upgrade parts are compatible with all the AEPs. I actually got mine and have a Laylax piston, piston head, and 6.01 barrel, as well as better shimming and AoE correction. I was told that adding an upgrade spring like this: http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Nine-Ball-Power-Spring-for-Tokyo-Marui-AEP-Guns-p/58498.htm would decrease the lifetime, but by how much?

Opps misread your question.

No, bearings will not pro-long the life if you increase the spring tension.

Another factor as on how it decreases life it is not quantifiable.

This isn't a video game where performance values are "programmed" in. This is real life and these things are a working system.

Asking for specifics is unrealistic when it comes to changing an item from stock condition.

Plus, the upgrade parts for AEP's are not readily available. These are not AEG's where the items are made in tens of thousands of units a year.

AEP are made in qty about a few thousands per year if at all even 1000 units per model.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Ah, I was mainly wondering if the bearings would make it degrade slower since the bearings reduce stress on the gearbox shell (I've heard). But if I get bearings and the upgrade spring would it probably have a lower lifetime than it would have without the spring and bearings?

Ah, I was mainly wondering if the bearings would make it degrade slower since the bearings reduce stress on the gearbox shell (I've heard).

Whoever told you this?

Stop listening to them.

That is like saying will I wear my tires out less when I do burn outs if I put on different shocks?

It's all about the stress...increase it. Pistol dies faster. Decrease it...pistol lasts longer.

ROF...ever so slightly...1 rps more...maybe.

FPS...NO...no way is it possible to increase air pressure out the nozzle by reducing friction at the spindle of the gear.

Again...I use a car as an example.

You have a car that has a top speed of 120 MPH due to the output of the motor. By repacking the bearing in your wheels with new grease...how does this increase top speed?

Learn the system know how it all works before you try an "upgrade"...otherwise you will just waste money on things that do not do what you want.

Edited by Guges Mk3
  • Downvote 1

Slightly is being generous...considering you are dealing with an AEP.

Look...you don't even own this pistol yet. Just buy and PLAY. Then TUNE it to your play style.

Why are you even considering modifying an item before you have used it and became familiar with it.

Edited by Guges Mk3
  • Downvote 1

Actually Airsoft Extreme has quite a few upgrade parts, and there is a local one by me, so they can get them for me. They have a few of the Laylax parts, here: http://www.airsoftextreme.com/collections/internal-parts/mp7+aeg

Edited by legoclone09

Many of the parts are compatible between the AEP gearbox and the SMG gearbox, the spring, spring guide, piston head, bearings/bushings, and cylinder head. That's all I know is compatible off the top of my head. I also know the motors are the same but shaft length is different, SMG gearbox motor is longer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot bucking is compatible and the barrel, but length is different.

Edited by legoclone09

If the motor has a longer shaft it is Not the same.

Piston is also different.

You will do what every "other" player has done. Your learning method will can get expensive...

What I meant by motor is the same is that it is the same actual motor, just with a different shaft, which makes it different also. (I'm confusing)

And yes, I did not mention the pistons were the same because I knew they were different. And I don't plan on upgrading for a bit, going to field mine tommorow and see how it is before upgrading.

I fielded it yesterday and it was nice, but I might get an upgarde spring. It was really accurate with the hopup adjusted out to around 100-125 feet, but it was averaging out to around 225 FPS, and the Nineball or Eagle6 springs or whatever I'd like might get it to 270? Somewhere around there, probably. Since they increase the velocity slightly, (not trying to sound like a newb here) will it increase range? I know FPS isn't everything but the hopup can only do so much.

Edited by legoclone09

Range will increase slightly.

Perhaps 10 feet.

Now if you shoot .25g you will get a bump in range to about ~30 feet, but your FPS will be lower.

However, you do realize. GBB already have you out ranged and have a better fire response.

And with the new valve technology...they can even play in the cold.

Edited by Guges Mk3

I've already got a 7.4 LiPo in my gun and my trigger response has been excellent, as good as my primary which also runs a 7.4. Also, should I get the Nineball spring, DeepFire spring, or the Eagle6 spring? I know the DeepFire is the weakest, is the Eagle6 the strongest?

Edited by legoclone09

I've already got a 7.4 LiPo in my gun and my trigger response has been excellent, as good as my primary which also runs a 7.4. Also, should I get the Nineball spring, DeepFire spring, or the Eagle6 spring? I know the DeepFire is the weakest, is the Eagle6 the strongest?

That you need to answer yourself based on the Spring Rating.

if you blew 50 bucks on a burst wizard to use as a mosfet and got an 11.1 30c in an aep like a cyma glock would it work well and not explode sending shrapnel into your brain? So far I see more people doing that than using the stock 7.2v NiMHs on youtube. Also any tips on converting a TM from AAA power to NiMh power? It has an input of 6v so it could be very easy finding a 5 cell nimh but ive spent hours trying to wire the damn thing to it with no success, is there a better way?

Edited by jimbibblo
  • Downvote 1

There used to be a ton of Nine Ball parts around. Airsoft Atlanta still has a few but its getting slim pickings. I 10+ years the only thing that has broken has been the anti-reverse latch on my USP. I have waited and now they are a PITA to find.. :(

Most of the parts I have found are all from over seas. Mostly I just upgraded to a Lipo and use them as is. I have a complete upgrade kit for one that I never installed. I would have to check and see whats in it now since I have forgotten.

I wanted to reply to this thread as I just upgraded a TM USP AEP that I purchased used a month or two back. Stock as I received it, it was shooting 220fps on .20g bbs. Did the LiPo upgrade to a 7.4v pack. After a lot of searching I found that Eagle 6 Airsoft has lots of upgrades available for the TM AEPs and in stock.

I purchased the Eagle6 Spring, the Firefly Soft HopUp and the Laylax (Nineball) Cylinder, Hard Piston, Piston Head, Spring Guide and Ball Bearing Set. All of this stuff together with shipping was probably as much as the gun itself.

Watching and following a YouTube video specifically on the TM USP AEP I broke the gun down and installed all the parts. Lubed the gears and parts back up and re-assembled. Without doing anything else the gun now chronos consistently at 273-275fps with 0.20g bbs. 0.25g bbs come in around 240+ fps.

I can tell things are working harder now as the LiPo pack is definitely warming up more after a round of shooting. I'd say I am still getting about 4-500 rounds (mix of semi and auto) on the 300mAh lipo.

ctnertandairsoft -

question for ya, did you touch the motor at all?

the thread linked below tells you that any 370-type hobby motor + modified APR 6410A pinion should work as a replacement.

so technically you can source yourself a torque-y 370 type motor to make the system work "not as harder"

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/221472-replacement-aep-pinion-gears-and-motors/