Sign in to follow this  
Buzzkill42

Setting up a We G39 bolt block with an NPAS for hot weather

So, I recently picked up a WE G39 with a little bit of wear on it. Overall the gun is solid and I am very happy with it. This is also my first GBBR so apart from my KWA Mark IV I know nothing about gas guns.

The nice thing about this gun is that I have two bolt blocks for it. I have cleaned it from stem to stern and got it all lubed up but I have yet been able to get it on a chrono to find out where each block shoots. I was told that one shoots around 500fps and one is about 400 fps but I don't know for sure.

As I live and play in and around the Bay Area I know I will be using it in a broad range of temperatures.

So, my question is: is there an optimal fps to shoot for in cool weather that equates to a good fps for hot weather? I would like to ballpark it in and then do any tuning when I get it out in the heat.

Firstly, it's just "bolt" or "bolt carrier group". You may get people confused using the term "block" which is used for other things e.g. gas block, rear sight block, etc.

Secondly, what exactly is a "good" fps?

Fair enough. I was using the term 'bolt block' as its what they call it on the WE site, but yes, 'bolt' makes more sense for the whole part. As for the FPS, the fields I play on limit to 400 fps. On field allows 350 inside buildings....but lets face it a G39 isn't going to do well around corners. So, I would like to set up one bolt to shoot under 400 fps on cool days and one bolt to shoot under 400 fps on hot days.

Don't see why it couldn't be used around corners; I've seen people use M14s and longer to good effect. It really depends on the skills of the person using it like don't poke the muzzle end of the rifle well into a room when clearing because it not only announces your presence to everyone else in the room, but it also conveys your relative firing position.

Anyway, between a hot and cool day (>30°C to <15°C) you won't normally see more than a 50fps difference so switching between pre-tuned bolts isn't really worth the trouble. What it does affect more is blowback and rate of fire but the G39 is one of the temperature-hardy GBBRs in the market. You're better off switching gas for that purpose like green gas/propane when hot and red gas/MAPP/nuprol. What you can do with your two bolts is set them up for field (>450fps) or CQB (<350fps). And use FG restrictor disks or DIY alternatives because RATech NPAS is garbage: inconsistent output and can walk out of setting.

Well, I used to run my SL9 out at Gamepod but once I picked up my MP5 I have found it to be too long. Even my G36 feels too long to move around in buildings.

But good to know on the gas. I have been trying to sort out the while gas vs heat thing via physics and it just wasn't working out. I normally run Puff Dino gas in my pistol and have been pretty happy with that. I have the RATech NPAS to install so basically that was my plan. I think I am over thinking the whole thing lol.