MrCheeto

Getting back to the hobby after 8 years hiatus. Krytac?

I haven't touched an airsoft gun in over 8-years. I seem to have dropped out just as soon as Echo 1 hit the scene. In fact, if anybody that I know is still playing, I may have somebody recognize me.

Suddenly I have a lot of time off of work and idle hands. I've thought about how I would get back into the hobby and just start tuning a real fun plinker. I don't play, I just like target shooting and tuning.

I went into a local shop and they immediately recommended this new "Krytac" company. I was super impressed at how quickly things have taken off. MOSFET's, LiPo's, reliable hi-caps, the world done got itself in one big hurry.

So tell me if I'm crazy and post disclaimers for what might essentially be a "noob".

My plan:

Purchase Krytac gearbox and motor (ferite magnets)

Upgrade to 120 spring for FPS

Upgrade to 6.01mm tightbore 360-ish length (M4-ish size)

Drop this into some entry-level AR body, like a JG/Echo 1 (my favorite when they came out)

Questions:

Does the Krytec have any pre-cocking function?

Does it have any motor braking function?

Does it have a LiPo monitor?

Should I install an inline fuse?

There is such thing as having too short or too long a barrel. With a 6.01mm bore and clocking about 380-400fps range, what sort of barrel would I get the best range/grouping with? I liked the Trident MK2 size but didn't like that it was handicapped for CQB. I would aim more for the CRB gearbox configuration, but overall accuracy and range would dictate the length I go for. Which barrel length will do it?

If I went with a better rare-earth motor, could I pull off throwing a 12.8v 6000mah LiFe battery into it? Don't think too long about how it would fit, I treat my AEG's like toys, they don't have to look realistic, so I don't fear having the battery exposed or externally mounted. I was thinking of this antigravity, it's smaller than a 3.5" hard drive.

IMG_1425.jpg

Thanks everybody, I'm glad to get back into it and rip. Just help me not look like an old divorced dude going out to the club for the first time in 28-years and wearing his finest polyester leisure suit...

tightbores no longer needed for accuracy. I would never drop into another gun. they are the best stock aeg's out there. fps is not needed with these guns and is not recommended (at least by me) only thing you need for fps is maple leaf bucking, and for accuracy, the maple leaf nub. they have rare earth motors. for questions, doesn't need it, doesn't need it, doesn't have it, can buy one on ebay for $6.00 and nope. theyre not handicapped, fps no longer means range. maple leaf bucking will get you about 200 ft consistently. ALOT has changed my friend. ALOT.

I have learned that much.

The FPS is not for accuracy, it's for the delay between launching and landing.

How easy is it to tell when the LiPo has had enough without damaging it?

Anybody against the 12.8v battery?

I meant range but I can understand. it's using about an m100 spring. I think an m110 should get it up to 400. since they have great seal. and the lipo is very hard to tell since they keep their discharge rate. just buy a lipo alarm, keep it on the battery. and I think space would be a pretty big issue on the krytac with a 12.8v. I don't think they were meant to run that high of a battery. these things go 20 rps easy on a 7.4v lipo (from my experience) and have exceptional trigger response. I think that's a suitable battery. but if you want to run a 12.8v, I'm against it, but it's your choice ;).

Guest alberty

Are you getting the stock Krytac motor along with the gearbox? The stock Krytac motor is a neo magnet motor, though not as strong as some other aftermarket choices.

Krytac gearboxes already come with an in-line fuse, it's a blade fuse near the connector.

They come with an M120 spring from factory usually.

Its integrated MOSFET from factory is a basic type, I think 3034. It may help increase the life of the trigger contacts by reducing or eliminating arcing. It does not provide more advanced functions like precocking or active braking.

You would need to install a different MOSFET/electronic system to get those functions.

~~

Regarding your battery options, I don't think that MOSFET and motor will last long with anything above an 11.1v lipo battery. You should also be concerned about possible piston stripping from the increased speed of using such a high voltage battery in a stock gearbox.

Edited by alberty

I think space would be a pretty big issue on the krytac with a 12.8v. I don't think they were meant to run that high of a battery. these things go 20 rps easy on a 7.4v lipo (from my experience) and have exceptional trigger response. I think that's a suitable battery. but if you want to run a 12.8v, I'm against it, but it's your choice ;).

OK. I tried it in the store with a 7.4v and it really rips nuts. I just wanted to push the limit as I do. Again, aesthetics and realism move to the back of the bus, or get off, why are you on this ride any way, we don't even make a stop in that part of town.

Are you getting the stock Krytac motor along with the gearbox? The stock Krytac motor is a neo magnet motor, though not as strong as some other aftermarket choices.

Thanks for jumping in. I was thinking I may as well get the whole SHE-BANG because she bangs so well. For about $250, that's a HOT starting point, so yes. The only thing I think I would do is re-shim the gears, get a ported piston, and if the spring is under 120 I'd upgrade that. I don't see why not, it's practically free energy. Those gears could munch through stale fries from McD's, and those are known to be considered weapons in some states.

I don't need the pre-cocking, I just wouldn't rest unless I knew. I don't want braking....I just don't.

What sort of performance have you peoples gotten with different barrel lengths and diameters? I would think a tighter bore would allow less leakage past the BB and therefore more energy behind it, up to the point that the barrel is too long and thus it has to push air out of its way on the way out. So.....anybody have any actual numbers? I guess I'd be pumping out something like .30's or .32.

Things have come a long way but my old M16 could shatter glass bottles at 50 feet and drop cats out of trees. I've saved a lot of troubled kitties out there. Who knows where that thing is now. It's probably been recked and chewed to pieces, or painted all sorts of fruity colors, you know, like black or something.

Edited by MrCheeto

Guest alberty

I thought Krytac gearboxes already had ported cylinders, the common M4 porting. If you're not going to a 455mm or longer inner barrel, you can probably keep the ported cylinder it has in there.

Yes, a tightbore barrel can increase your FPS due to the smaller bore. But nowadays, after much debate and research, there are many techs who don't bother with them and instead just focus on the higher end inner barrels, for the accuracy/consistency improvements.

Yes, you can't keep increasing your inner barrel length past a certain point, you'll hit diminishing returns and limitation of the regular gearbox cylinder volume. Some people have quoted that at max you could go for about 455mm-500mm with a non-ported cylinder.

The stock shimming is okay. I think the spur gear has a spring-loaded thing for self-shimming.

Edited by alberty

Piston porting is irrelevant for your setup. Don't waste your time with it.

Also its not the barrel length with the issue of pushing air. It the the gap between bore and bb. Think of a syringe and how that works that is why tight bores and bbs that are big bore are not to be used together. You want to maintain a gap roughly .08mm...anything more and you induce barrel turbulence with bad bbs and that will diminish bb accuracy.

M110 is 375fps range. M120 is 400 fps range...all things being equal.

Thanks, I am picking up a KWA M9 GBB. I do not nor have I ever liked fake recoil weight-slingers though. When I plink with a pistol it's to replace range-time. When I plink with the AEG it's to hone a skill. I enjoy being able to reach out and touch stuff without killing my neighbors and wildlife. Sometimes I get coyotes too and it's fun to watch them run and holler after taking a burst of 20rnds to the :censored2:.

• Downvote 1

Guest alberty

Thanks, I am picking up a KWA M9 GBB. I do not nor have I ever liked fake recoil weight-slingers though. When I plink with a pistol it's to replace range-time. When I plink with the AEG it's to hone a skill. I enjoy being able to reach out and touch stuff without killing my neighbors and wildlife. Sometimes I get coyotes too and it's fun to watch them run and holler after taking a burst of 20rnds to the :censored2:.

It's an old rule, but please refrain from talking about using airsoft replicas for that last part, on this forum. Thank you.

Edited by alberty
  • Upvote 1

Illegal immigration is a real issue in my part of the US. The coyotes bring extreme violence and corruption with them. Yes we can build that wall!

what youre describing is what laws specify as animal cruelty. if you want them off youre land, there are plenty more ways to get rid of coyotes. grab a shotgun, go coyote hunting. at least it'd be justified. we do it all the time in Tennessee.

Look, we can agree that the cartel are animals, but to throw them under the curtain of animal rights is unreasonable. It's practically every week that people are found in our town with hands, limbs, heads missing or vice-versa. Some days you get a torso, some days you get a head, once there was just two hands tied around the person's....private member and nothing else. I have no problem with where these people are from or their culture or even that they might be looking for a better life, it's the ruthless violence that kinda makes me uneasy.

I'm curious to know how many cartel caravans cross into Tennessee...

Edited by MrCheeto

With a bb gun...versus someone that potentially has a real gun. Or a blade and comes over and adds you to the statistics that is building in your comunity.

It is better if you call 911 versus taking actions that can get you hurt or worse yet mistakenly hurt someone else.

Edited by Guges Mk3

I fully intend to hurt everybody, no worries dude!

that's the mindset that gets a lot of men killed or put in an institution....

Krytac CRB Alpha series

m120 spring

6.03mm barrel

upgraded hop-up

What barrel and hop-up will simply blow my geezer mind?

Does this sound like something that would achieve 400fps and consistently smack a tin cooking tray from 200'?

For you young snipper whappers, take a look at what I'm talkin' bout boiiiii! You kids just don't know!

Maple Leaf, stock barrel that is cleaned.

Done.

Nothing more needed other than a 2S lipo..all else is stupid.

I'm putting a new video of my build up soon ;) check it out. it sounds about 28-30 rps now.

My point is that I want less delay between trigger-pull and landing the hit. I hate watching a BB soar as it slows down more and more over a 200' travel. I think it takes nearly 3 seconds to land a BB on a 100' target with .32's. That's just a rough guess from YEARS AND YEARS ago, but I never liked counting seconds. A little more muzzle energy should help cut that down so I'm going for a MINIMUM of 400fps.

That being the goal, wouldn't 6.03 cause less turbulence and leakage?

Which hop-up housing would you pair with that bucking? Can it be dropped into a stock Krytac housing?

Also, with the stock springs the Alpha CRB is maxing out at 310fps. The Trident CRB maxes out at 385fps, with the only differences (I'm told) being the motor and spring. I believe the Trident has a m110. I gotta break 400fps or else I'm just going to sell my Xbox and get a job.

Guest alberty

My point is that I want less delay between trigger-pull and landing the hit. I hate watching a BB soar as it slows down more and more over a 200' travel. I think it takes nearly 3 seconds to land a BB on a 100' target with .32's. That's just a rough guess from YEARS AND YEARS ago, but I never liked counting seconds. A little more muzzle energy should help cut that down so I'm going for a MINIMUM of 400fps.

That being the goal, wouldn't 6.03 cause less turbulence and leakage?

Which hop-up housing would you pair with that bucking? Can it be dropped into a stock Krytac housing?

Also, with the stock springs the Alpha CRB is maxing out at 310fps. The Trident CRB maxes out at 385fps, with the only differences (I'm told) being the motor and spring. I believe the Trident has a m110. I gotta break 400fps or else I'm just going to sell my Xbox and get a job.

One of those new Krytac releases is for the other locations in which they have a lower energy limit for airsoft replicas, such as Japan.

Regardless, it's a quick-change spring system, so you could easily drop in another spring.

Edited by alberty

sell your xbox anyways. lol. I did it for my gun ;)

Alberty, the Alpha series is the absolute bare minimum AEG they offer. They have aluminum receivers, but they aren't the more boxy billet style used in the upper ranges. They seem to also advertise that the motor is lower-teir and the spring is softer.

Upper-ranges also get:

Custom grip

Custom trigger design

Standard keymod rail system

Matched barrel length to rail length

Larger rubber butt stop (maybe for better battery capacity?)

The difference is $70, that means you can get in for under $300 after tax!

Besides, I'm just going to strip everything off and jack it up anyway, so why go for premium features I'm just going to toss? Whichever gun I get I am going to upgrade the spring to break 400fps.

mrbeny, post a video already.

Question

What unique M4/M16 uppers are out there that fit the V2 system with a matching lower? I like the slabside M16 (pre-A1, absolute first issue Colt) and I wouldn't mind something that lacked any of the following: charging handle, forward assist, brass deflector, dust-cover.

As I said, I treat my airsoft guns as toys and NONE of these replicated "features" serve any purpose in this hobby, so if I can't find one that's more plain or unique, I'll just mod it and delete them.