hey guys so I got a bit of a problem. my ak has almost perfect shimming with sound from the bevel and pinion from the gearbox. the bevel and pinion are meshing perfectly. but the problem is the bevel gear is rubbing on the bottom of the gb. it has about 1.5mm of play. should I add about another .1mm of shims on the bottom? because I'm trying to get the least amount of noise out of my gb. the reason I heard this sound is going from an 11.1v to 7.4v. I mean I'm going to use 9.6v nimh most of the time and I don't want the noise I'm hearing right now.

yes I did mean .15 haha. thank you :)

I tried doing it that way. but I got alot of noise due to the bevel not meshing very well with the pinion. keep in mind I have no holes to check my b-p meshing in my gearbox. so it was always hit and miss. when I did it. I can try it again but this time by doing very small incriments. but idk if it'll help that much. ill leave the spur and the sector alone as they only have about .1mm of play as they should and spin freely

EDIT: I also forgot to mention I have not epoxied the bushings. they do spin the the gearbox shell as the gears spin but not much. just half a centimeter during each cycle. should I epoxy the bushings to make sure I get the best results? or is it fine as is?

Edited by mrbeny127

Guest alberty

I usually at least superglue down my bushings if they are able to rotate within the bushing holes like that. My concern is that if you don't use some adhesive to secure them like that, then they may eventually bore out the hole, and also could create inaccuracies in getting the shimming just right if the bushings can shift vertically as well.

okay. I heard that red thread lock or epoxy is great for gluing them down. what do you think? I don't want to use superglue for fear of asphyxiation

Edited by mrbeny127

I don't know. it's just an irrational fear of mine. I mean I don't inhale fumes when I do use superglue. but I would rather use the thread lock or epoxy due to the longer lasting effects (what I heard) than super glue

Guest alberty

Sure, the right kind of threadlocker can work, if applied correctly. But I commonly see that more for bolts/screws rather than being a general adhesive, though it can be used as an adhesive in some way.

The reason why I have used superglue for bushings is because it's laying around the house and it dries quickly. You are right that many other adhesives are superior and will reduce or eliminate the chance of failing to hold, such as threadlocker, epoxy, etc. They need more care to be applied well and make sure you let them cure properly.

Sure, the right kind of threadlocker can work, if applied correctly. But I commonly see that more for bolts/screws rather than being a general adhesive, though it can be used as an adhesive in some way.

The reason why I have used superglue for bushings is because it's laying around the house and it dries quickly. You are right that many other adhesives are superior and will reduce or eliminate the chance of failing to hold, such as threadlocker, epoxy, etc. They need more care to be applied well and make sure you let them cure properly.

thank you. do I need a bushing press for my bushings? or can I just push them in?

You do not need a bushing press.

thanks bb ;)