Sign in to follow this  
Karrottop009

DMR Role

So, the search function produced zero results for threads on DMR role guns. Here's a description for what I'm looking for:

1) 420-450 fps for large field play

a) 40-50 yd targets should not be an issue

2) Semi-auto only for regulations

3) Reliable performance with minimal modification

a) If modification is required, would prefer that the gearbox to have sufficient AEM support

4) I'm not so concerned on price if the gun really is a quality build

For background, my friends and I have discovered an outdoor play field that has a 500 fps limit with .20g in a bolt action. This rules out my primary L96 at 515, however semi-auto rifles are allowed up to 450 fps. I prefer the role of only needing to shoot once to hit my target, so decent accuracy is key.

Guest alberty

The forum has historically had hundreds of threads with people asking for help with DMR role AEG builds. Take some time to look through existing topics in the AEGs or Upgrades & Modifications threads.

The search function does not provide results from "DMR" as a search term due to a minimum character count setting, common on many other forums as well.

For your requirement of:

a) If modification is required, would prefer that the gearbox to have sufficient AEM support

You do need a good amount of modification to your AEG to really outperform other guns on the field. At minimum you could install just a good bucking, nub, and inner barrel, but you want your gearbox to also be a consistent factor and be reliable and quick to cycle over with each pull of the trigger.

Let me rephrase that requirement then, I'd rather not have to replace over 75% of the stock gun's internals. The only parts that are still factory on the CQB gun I last got we're the gearbox, hopup housing, cylinder, tappet, and nozzle. Everything else broke before I could ever hit a field.

Hopup components are easy to swap out, I'm fine with that. I'd rather not replace all the internals on an already pricy gun. I might as well build the gun from scratch at that point...

Did some youtube browsing, the A&K SR-25 based guns are hovering at 390fps with .2g out the box. The G&G was hovering at 380fps. JG SR-25 chrono'd at 420fps on same chrono as the A&K. Accuracy at 150ft seems decently close at approximately 6-9" spread.

I know G&G assembles their gearboxes with full metal everything down to the bearings. I have not yet found a common pattern to A&K and JG guns. Can one expect similar build quality from these two manufacturers, or do they simply have a higher output? The final decision would come down to whether or not the slightly weaker G&G to be a better long term invesment. I'd hate to buy a cheaper gun and find out the piston teeth aren't metal or the gears are cheap pig metal that aren't meant for the stronger spring.

In mean time, I'm going to dig up tear downs of the guns if I can. If anyone knows from experience, would be convenient to know.

Guest alberty

Red flag on the A&K and JG SR-25's, they have full auto capability. This is no bueno at the local field. Going to keep searching for other alternatives to compare.

It's possible, and common, to modify those AEGs to shoot semi-auto only.

This would make your life easier as compared to seeking semi-only AEGs only.

Only other semi auto auto rifle I've found is the Echo 1 Red Star CSR, which they rate at 410-420fps. However many youtubers are chrono'ing the gun at 500+fps with .20g. So still not an option.

Change the spring, simple...you are not permanently stuck with the stock FPS of an AEG.

Edited by alberty

I'm curious if it's possible to obtain a gun that requires little modification, don't know why I have to repeat that. Why buy $200-$400 worth of assembled parts if everyone believes the parts are useless? If it is a better option to build from scratch like a gaming computer, I'd like to know.

This is the reason of this thread: To find out if there are any guns on the market actually worth buying for a DMR.

With regard to just changing the spring in the Echo 1, yes that is an option.

The reason I'm looking for out the box SA, is any gun with full auto option on selector switch is deemed a full auto gun at this field.

Guest alberty

I'm curious if it's possible to obtain a gun that requires little modification, don't know why I have to repeat that. Why buy $200-$400 worth of assembled parts if everyone believes the parts are useless? If it is a better option to build from scratch like a gaming computer, I'd like to know.

This is the reason of this thread: To find out if there are any guns on the market actually worth buying for a DMR.

With regard to just changing the spring in the Echo 1, yes that is an option.

The reason I'm looking for out the box SA, is any gun with full auto option on selector switch is deemed a full auto gun at this field.

Hm, just having that on the selector? What if you prove to them that full-auto has been blocked in some permanent way? For example, creating a physical stop to the selector switch, or cutting the selector plate, etc...

If not, that's pretty bad, that means you'll only get like 3 AEGs or a bolt-action as your choice for a "DMR".

If you are seeking a buy-something-upgraded, then fork over the money for an Umbrella Armory custom I guess, and ask them to have it altered for semi-only.

All these regular factory guns can be effectively outperformed by a well-upgraded gun, in terms of being upgraded by a tech after it was purchased. Not many, or any, truly "DMR effective" stock models when compared to what worked-on guns do.

People are telling you that from experience, and not some kind of speculation.

Edited by alberty

I am not a regular at their field yet, so they told me that any guns I consider bringing must follow their general public rules.

So, you would argue towards building from scratch parts over upgrading a base gun? Or do you see one of the remaining options as only in need of simple tweaks like some Teflon sealing and hopup alternatives?

Why buy $200-$400 worth of assembled parts if everyone believes the parts are useless? If it is a better option to build from scratch like a gaming computer, I'd like to know.

Because a better hop rubber, better barrel, appropriate spring is cheaper to replace than building a gun from absolute scratch. This is very different from building a gaming PC because in those the overall performance is linked to every component. You can't just replace one or two parts and expect drastic results. On a rifle, you can tell the difference between one that's been r-hopped and one that hasn't and the only difference is a piece of rubber glued on the barrel. If you want an out of the box DMR, it will have to be custom made for you.

Well, if anyone wanted to know, I tried out the G&G GR-25 Top Tech model. It was dead accurate, but it chrono'd 508 fps consistently, 80 fps over what it was supposed to (360-420). I didn't feel like voiding the one year warranty swapping the spring. The Evike tech team wouldn't use warranty to change the spring, so I returned the gun. Oh and the mid cap that came with the gun was awful. The hi-cap they sell worked great though. That's all I can say about that ordeal.

So, the search function produced zero results for threads on DMR role guns. Here's a description for what I'm looking for:

1) 420-450 fps for large field play

a) 40-50 yd targets should not be an issue

2) Semi-auto only for regulations

4) I'm not so concerned on price if the gun really is a quality build

For background, my friends and I have discovered an outdoor play field that has a 500 fps limit with .20g in a bolt action. This rules out my primary L96 at 515, however semi-auto rifles are allowed up to 450 fps. I prefer the role of only needing to shoot once to hit my target, so decent accuracy is key.

the gun I own is 470 fps with a 6.01 460 with a 6.02 and 450 witha 6.03, I'd reccomend getting a 6.03x455-500mm barrel for this:

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/10139-440-fps-ak74-cm048-airsoft-aeg-rifle-real-wood-cyma-cm048-vpower.aspx

the best deal I could find was this: http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/10131-cyma-m14-socom-airsoft-aeg-rifle-cyma-cm032a-black-vpower.aspx which should be 450 with a 6.03 aswell but I'd reccomend the 6.02x433mm raptors barrels which are pretty dope

I do like the ak platform because they have one of the best stock gearboxes for an aeg and can be accurate if you put some teflon on the right length barrel, http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=21224

adjust the frontal sights with the pushing button thing and when your bbs go perfectly down the picture just get a wrench and screw the thing so the flatter end of the thing below the pin is facing you and your ready to go.

You can stain the wood a dope âss color if you wanted to, I went for apocalypse ak look and I wore it down and stained it a dark brown/grey and it blends in forests well because it doesnt have contrast at a distance. I run mine at 460 because nobody at my field is within limits because the chrono is a paintball chrono so everything registers at 320, even the 550 with .32s bolt actions are 320 on it lol.

If I were you, I'd avoid m4s at all costs because their awful internally, if you want a non ak thats reliable go for a g36 because they have ak internals. Enough with my opinionated garbage, just look for cyma aks on airsoft gi or ams. And make sure it has an m120 too lol.don't forget to get some goldenball .25s, their pretty nice for the price imo

Edited by jimbibblo

If I were you, I'd avoid m4s at all costs because their awful internally, if you want a non ak thats reliable go for a g36 because they have ak internals. Enough with my opinionated garbage, just look for cyma aks on airsoft gi or ams. And make sure it has an m120 too lol.don't forget to get some goldenball .25s, their pretty nice for the price imo

Sadly...this is not "all" true. There are many "M4's" that are built very well.

Making generalizations on limited direct experience is not a good thing to do in Airsoft...or life.

Sadly...this is not "all" true. There are many "M4's" that are built very well.

Making generalizations on limited direct experience is not a good thing to do in Airsoft...or life.

oh, of course there are good m4s, but their generally pricey, you have alot more options with aks. Nothing I say is completely true, its only going to be generally true and I do have direct experience with both platforms. your going to have some problems with low budget ars more often than with low budget aks. Of course not all of them, this isn't Stalinist Russia. Now I do agree that I forgot to add generally to every 5 words, but thats kind of a given, you can point to an example and I can point to an example and we can do that forever or we can generalize. Personal experience is what makes someone's views. And in my experience(I've been playing for over a year so it seems like im mostly up to date on things) I find that aks are GENERALLY better built to be dmrs for the price, now you could blow 400$ on at ar and thats ok too, but you can get a better deal on an ak.

Now the problem I'm seeing is the generalization that m4s are better suited to be dmrs is that nobody does their research, and the echo of people saying its modular and easily upgradable is faux factual. Sure you can be used to a platform, that doesnt make it any better than the other though.

So instead of saying I cant make generalizations, why don't you disprove me on a factual basis.

I want to say that m4s are better because I really don't want to keep telling people bullshît on aks if im really that catastrophically wrong.

Oh and thanks for assuming I have very limited direct experience, thats not insulting or condescending at all.

Edited by jimbibblo

Let me rephrase that requirement then, I'd rather not have to replace over 75% of the stock gun's internals. The only parts that are still factory on the CQB gun I last got we're the gearbox, hopup housing, cylinder, tappet, and nozzle. Everything else broke before I could ever hit a field.

Hopup components are easy to swap out, I'm fine with that. I'd rather not replace all the internals on an already pricy gun. I might as well build the gun from scratch at that point...

A quiet echo breezes through the air, you can almost make out a whisper of "cyma vpower ak ak ak"

Edited by jimbibblo