Sign in to follow this  
DrKatz

Dan Wesson 715 Airsoft Revolver (Full Power Version) Modification Help!

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Dan Wesson 715 (Full Power Version), but I want to lower the FPS to make it skirmishable. Here's a link to the ASG I bought: http://www.evike.com/products/58532/

Honestly, I could have bought the low power version (280-330 FPS), but I wanted something a little stronger for the fields. I'm hoping to lower the FPS on this full power version down to around 350-400 FPS. That way, I get the best of both worlds. Silver finish is nicer on this version too.

I am extremely new to airsoft, so if it involves replacing the spring, you'll have to give me directions like I'm a 5-year old. Any help is appreciated, I've heard you can use low power shells, but I fear that would lower the FPS to around 200-250, and the field I'm planning to go to has a max of 400, so I want to be as close to the max without going over.

Thanks all!

I was afraid this might be the case. Should I have purchased the low power version instead for a skirmishable ASG?

Given my situation, what would you suggest I do to make the gun skirmishable? (Ex: Low power shells, clip spring, double action (heard extended use in DA lowers FPS, etc)

Power down shells simply have an insert at the back of the shells to throttle air flow. Punch out to make full power, or drill to larger size for something in between (tunable).

Edit:

Shooting in DA has a lower fps because the hammer is physically brought back at a shorter distance which decreases how much it opens the valve. But guns are usually chronoed at their highest energy potential for safety reasons.

Edited by renegadecow

Thank you Renegadecow for the informative feedback. It seems the best option would be to buy the low power shells and tune the FPS to my liking.

From my understanding, the new DW ASG series are some of the best skirmishable revolvers on the market. In terms of accuracy, having an adjustable hop up, etc. Is this true? Or did I miss something, and there are better revolvers for the field out there?

The hammer spring is located and made differently from the older Win Guns and I can't say for sure how easy it is to downgrade or outright replace. Power down shells on the other hand, you just pop them in like you would a normal reload. Just don't keep the original shells on your person when playing so others can't accuse you of swapping shells mid game to cheat the chrono.

Would you suggest I invest in the TM eventually if I'm serious about using a revolver in CQB? 24 rounds sounds great. But aren't they around 240FPS?

Edit: I feel these accessories could help as well: http://www.evike.com/products/39183/

http://www.hotspotairsoft.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8920

Edited by DrKatz

Depends on the barrel length and if you're talking about the Python or Model 19. My 4" Combat Magnum was doing right around 230fps stock, but with a KM tight barrel and a harder valve o-ring is now doing a more respectable 280fps. Had I gotten a 6" it could be brought up to a little over 300fps, even more with Carom or Angs single shot shells, but you loose the 24 round capacity. The Pythons, on the other hand, shoot a bit harder straight out of the box, but the gas router is integral to the plastic side plate and can crack on green gas without reinforcement.

The 24rd magazine might be just what I need for the DW. Makes it more viable for skirmishes and hopefully would lower the FPS under 400. As long as it doesn't damage the gun of course. But it looks to be compatible. Thoughts?

Edit: I think these clips make it into an 8 shot with 8 shot magazines. So mehh, not as good as I hoped.

Edited by DrKatz

Makes sense. I'm just going to opt for the easy route as of now and pick up the reduced power shells, as well as a couple speed loaders. That way it's at least more effective for CQB.

I was planning on taking a scout role and assume ammo isn't much of an issue as long as I'm conservative.

Last weekend a gal with a Dan Wesson popped up and caught 3 people by surprise at ~45 feet. She was hiding in short Sumac and her boy friend was 30 yards in front of her. These three thought they had the drop on the guy. She unloaded the DW on them and missed them all. Blame it on bad trigger control, blame it on the .20g bbs...with any other pistol...she would have got all 3.

However, all three were promptly shot out by her boyfriend with a ML'd - G&P. Because they were distracted by the girl with the DW.

:sp_ike:

No idea...it was silver.

But, having a hop-up does not mean it is automatically good. Its a screw and collar design...the only thing going for it is that it's adjustable.

Here is a guy in EU with one. Adjustable version...accuracy is horrendous...18+ inches at 10 meters.

Edited by Guges Mk3

What would you suggest I purchase for a skirmishable revolver? Tokyo Marui, Tanaka, or a different DW Model?

I prefer revolver to 1911 or other handguns. Thoughts?

Edit: DW also makes a lower power 715 with about 300-330 FPS and hop up (adjustable). Not sure if it would be much better than the higher power version I have.

Edited by DrKatz

Haha! Shoots like my 2" Model 60 then. Blame those craptastic plastic tipped shells, a problem even with the older Win Guns. It holds the bbs with friction which it does so at irregular points so some shells will actually impart a spin on the bb even before it hits the hop up mound which messes with its trajectory. They made better shells like this one which has a more consistent o-ring for retention and pretty much copies Marushin's X-Cartridge, but needs modifying to fit (case length trim) the newer 715.

http://cdn1.evike.com/images/large/gt-70x6.jpg

Another option is to convert the plastic shells to hold multiple bbs for a snake shot/shotgun effect which compensates for its lack of accuracy. With the high power gun you still get decent power when loaded with 3-5 bbs.

As far as other revolver brands go:

Tanaka = best overall for skirmishing but new ones need modifying to shoot higher than .98J due to imposed Japanese restrictions.

Marui = best for CQB. No frills, light weight, high capacity.

Marushin = most realistic reloads but still good shooters (my personal favorite both for collecting and skirmishing)

These are just in general as there are exceptions to the cases in all brands. Didn't bother listing dead brands or brands too cheap to mention as they're not really worth considering.

Edited by renegadecow

This one was linked in the video you sent, and mentioned it was an improvement on the old Win Guns:

This one's by Booligan AirSoft, he mentions that the conditions were poor. But his accuracy rate was decent given the conditions:

Red Dot:

Seem like it's manageable. At least in hitting a human being.

Edit: According to the Red Dot test, 390FPS (high power), seems much more consistent than the low power.

Edited by DrKatz

Take any YouTube review with a grain of salt. Clean it then shoot it for yourself to see its actual potential for accuracy as well as finding out which shells work best for you. Use it long enough and you'll be able to gauge what is within its capacity of shooting and what isn't. Then there's always the prospect of upgrading it with a better barrel and even an r-hop.