Sign in to follow this  
Jaeger6

Anyone here ever made an airsoft mortar?

I'm currently a fabrication welder, and seeing as how I also have access to a college professor that's made air cannons that launch t-shirts half a mile, I thought I'd give it a shot. My projectiles will be 2" nerf vortex rockets (the whistlers). The material will be aluminum What would you guys add? Ultimately ID like to run it on a 68 cu in 4500psi hpa tank, and have a form of sight. I've thought about using a lensatic compass as the direction sight (aluminum is not magnetic) as well as a curved bubble level for the elevation. My target max range is 200 meters. So far I've referenced zuik on YouTube with his howitzer videos, and not much else.

I've had under my command a mortar team that used a PVC mortar they borrowed. It ran off a bicycle pump, and could fire 150 yards. It worked wonderfully for fixing troops in defensive positions and generally demoralizing an enemy, so long as they knew the mortars were dropping on them. They didn't use Whistler rockets and they were white, so I didn't bother much when people didn't call the hits. They just didn't know. Ultimately, indirect fires can be devastating if used properly.

The guys from GI Tactical (Airsoft GI East in Chesterfield VA) made some. PVC pipe with a screw in the bottom. Used a basic gas grenade, dropped it down the tube, bb shower comes out. Supposed to have had some decent range, though not a half mile...