Bretbert

Airsofter Trying Paintball

Hey, so I am an avid airsofter with a full loadout and everything, I'm also in a marching band as a tuba and baritone player. The brass section is going paintballing in a couple months and I at first wasn't going to go but now I think I might. But is there anything I should know, and how will my airsoft gear be able to be used in paintball. Will my chest rig be useless, will the paint stain my BDU's? What should I wear? How much more does it hurt? What about face protection? Thank you to any airsofters or paintballers alike who could give any information to me and anyone else in my situation.

The paint will not stain your BDU's or gear. It washes out with laundry detergent and water. If you use M4 mags, I think a double stack M4 pouch can hold a pod of paintballs. Paintball requires a full facemask, unlike airsoft where you are usually allowed just full seal goggles over the age of 18. The field will rent you the required mask.

If you are only used to airsoft, paintball can hurt a good deal more. Paint generally doesn't stain, but it has been known to happen. You need a full, one-piece face mask that covers your ears, etc. If you don't have one, fields typically rent them out, shouldn't be a problem esp. if most in your group don't have them.

Other than a few rare cases, there's nothing like a hop-up in paintball, so you need to account for the trajectory of the balls at longer ranges. Paint can be expensive, and games generally have no respawn.

Did you go play? How did you like it?

I am a paintballer getting into airsoft, and I always find it interesting to see the opinions of those who have tried both.

Did you go play? How did you like it?

I am a paintballer getting into airsoft, and I always find it interesting to see the opinions of those who have tried both.

Really depends on the people you play with, the community of players where you play is everything. Far more important than the activity, it can make a good experience (or a bad one). However the fundamentals favor airsoft, you get a lot more 'trigger time' b'cos games are generally respawn with objectives versus single elimination, and ammo is an order of magnitude less expensive. So while I have fond memories of paintball, I love airsoft and that's what I enjoy most now.

When I was in paintball, we did pump leagues, 210 tournaments, and other types of play designed to cut costs. But airsoft my group can honestly play however we like and cost has never really been a factor. Modern paintball does have great capabilities, you have things like first strike rounds which can easily outrange the best airsoft ammo, but due to cost they're really only rich kids toys.

Edited by Shutaro