to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Sebashbag

How do I shim a hop up arm?

So I've heard that shimming a hop up arm will result in an improved horizontal grouping and prevents bbs from curving to either the right or left side. I noticed that my AK's hop up arm is a little loose, as are most stock hop up arms I would assume, and I was wondering if I'd be able to shim it to prevent most movement, which causes some shots to curve right at past like 150 feet. I've already taped my 6.03 inner barrel and installed G&G Green bucking, which has helped a lot with my effective range, but I still sometimes get shots veering right at around 150-170 feet..although the groupings are still pretty good. So, I was hoping that some of you would know about shimming a hop up arm, and how to do it. Do you just add in regular shims, like the ones used for gears, or do you have to do something else? I'd appreciate any info or advice, and thanks for reading this.

Edited by Sebashbag

I believer you are using your terminology wrong.

Physically you cannot shim a hop-up arm. If you really do have an arm that is "shimable", I would thrown it away...it is far too loose.

Improving horizontal grouping requires you to center the barrel in the hop-up to allow your arm to come down directly over the bb.

If your bb is flying right AND left. You have a dirty barrel. Clean it with a solvent and NOT oil.

"shim a hopup arm" refers to side to side play. Arm to housing clearance can be adjust with shim material. The material can be paper, tin foil, thin metal sheet, foil tape. Guges is correct if you have a large amount of play, time for new hopup.

Centering the barrel, making sure the mount is level to the hopup. This can be check by turning hopup on full, looking down the barrel from the muzz;e end. If slightly off level there is usually enough play in the retaining clip to allow the barrel to twist to level out the mount. Start with a clean barrel and bucking, assemble slowly and carefully, adjust as needed.