jroble95

how long could an aeg last

lets say im going to use an all stock E&L ak, what could I do to prolong it's life. So far I heard that soft start and stop mosfets do a good job of protecting gearboxes and using a 7.4v battery does wonders for trigger contacts. Now what else would I need if my target area is a 10 year lifespan? And is it possible to have an aeg last 20 years without replacement parts if your using an all steel gun.

Edited by jroble95

A MOSFET will protect your trigger contacts regardless of your batteries voltage.

The best way to make your gun last is to follow the guides in this link. Do as many as you think pertinent to your situation.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/220266-miscellaneous-internal-tweaks-guide/

To cut a barrel. I have used a small conduit pipe cutter. You have to go slowly as to not crush the barrel, and after you cut it, you need to recrown the muzzle.

10 or 20 years lifespans PROBLEM FREE aren't realistic for airsoft guns. The quality just isn't there to make that happen. Parts will break or wear out. That being said the tune ups I linked above go a long way in preventing these problems. My main gun (and first one I purchased) and is without question my most well tuned gun has had a piston crack in half, and I have had that gun for 10 years. I consider this the only real catastrophic this gun has had, and everything else has been minor.

Think about the gearbox itself. In my opinion, the very fact that a motor can be completely perpendicular to the part that it's moving(the piston) and the fact that simply the pinion gear drives that entire machinery without fail(that's very little surface area to pull all that with), against such a strong spring, that is truly a feat of engineering to me. My point is, it's very impressive to me that this system works as well as it does, reliably, and at high rates of fire. It takes a lot to develop a system that does that.