to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
airsoft_b201

Modifying airsoft spring gun for 43cal paintballs

Hi,

I'm looking to use an airsoft spring-powered gun to shoot 43cal paintballs (11mm, ~0.7g). I have the means of machining some parts (barrel + hopper mechanism), but wouldn't want them to be too complicated. We also don't need much range and don't need the typical 300-400fps speeds. Likely ~100fps would be sufficient.

Some of my questions:

1. Would this be a reasonable modification and would there be enough power in a typical airsoft gun to propel a paintball of the above specs?

2. What are the strongest springs that can be put into a typical airsoft gun, and would that significantly increase the power?

3. How difficult would it be to manufacture a custom barrel (11mm diameter) and have that work with a typical airsoft upper gearbox? I.e. what's important to ensure the ball gets propelled correctly?

4. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing something similar, I.e. using a spring-powered gun for shooting paintballs?

I don't know much about airsoft or paintball to begin with, so if there's any more information that would be helpful to answer these questions, please let me know.

Here are some of the gearboxes I was looking at for reference:

If there are any other sites to be looking at for gearboxes, please let me know.

Thanks!

All of your links above are for guns that shoot 6mm bbs. The 8mm on the Lonex you are referring to is with regard to the gearbox bearings, not the bb size.

8mm bb airsoft guns are few and far between. Off the top of my head, there is the VFC M82 (discontinued), Marushin Mossberg 500, a couple of revolvers, Marushin M1 Garand. The brands Marushin, Maruzen, and Tanaka seem to really be the biggest ones that have 8mm guns, and while they aren't rare, they are less common brand and bb size.

Hi airborne101, thanks for the reply. We've also taken a look at 6mm paintballs (Hellfire 6mm paintballs), but it looks like they're discontinued?

Has anyone had any luck with similar 6mm paintballs shot using an airsoft gun?

Are there any other ways to use regular airsoft pellets covered in paint or lead or similar in order to leave a mark when they strike a surface?

Thanks!

6mm paintballs will never work. It has been tried 20 years ago.

The tolerances are too varying...6.1mm+/- .05mm, which means you can only use a few of them. 6mm paintballs are only for spring pistols with their bigger bore barrels. Plus the mechanical feed of systems are too rough for the bbs.

And the biggest issue is weight. Paint bbs are way to light at .14g max...accuracy is horrible.

The only marking bb that works is using regular bbs and inducing a powder residue onto them via slightly charged TiO2 particles. Like this:

Then it leaves the powder on the target.

Hi Guges,

After doing a bit more research it seems like you're right that the 6mm paintballs are extremely inconsistent and breakable. Have you ever tried the Game Face Verdict marker bb's, or heard anything about them? These are similar to the videos you linked and seem like they might be able to do the job. Would they leave a visible mark on a dark surface?

Thanks

Gameface bbs are a dead end product...they are terrible, feeds poorly and messes up your hop-up and is no longer made.

Yes it can leave powder on dark surfaces, but you may have to adjust the static levels of the powder to get it to impart itself on to the surface.

Edited by Guges Mk3