spitfiresim

Just noticed my ICS M4 doesn't have a fuse...

So I have been upgrading and playing around with my ICS M4 and after inspection of the lower (which I purchased separately used) I noticed it has no fuse... The last guy was running it with an 18v 3600 mah large type battery, replaced the wiring, upgraded the connector to deans and.. no fuse, there is no mosfet either. So... do I need a fuse really? I see them in most stock airsoft guns but I don't keep pushing on my gun when it has issues and I run a 9.6v NiMh. I am considering just getting a mosfet to boost trigger response and performance or something like that ( still learning about mosfets). But it don't really want to drop a fuse on the end of my wiring or replace it just because I don't have one. Thanks

A fuse is cheap fire insurance, in a worst case scenario it can save your face from melting. I run PTC resettable fuses in my guns, they are compact, have low resistance, and are self-resetting. The most common configuration is 2-3 10-15A fuses in parallel. The reason for wiring several smaller fuses in parallel is to keep the trip time low so that it trips faster at the rated amperage so that it offers optimal protection.

Your gun (and your face) will most likely be fine without a fuse, but fuses are cheap and doesn't affect performance much. I run fuses in pretty much all of my AEG's (no room for it in my UMP), and I seem to get at least as high ROF as others with similar setups without fuses.

Do you need one, no. Should you run one, yes. The question is what you value more, protection of your gun and potentially body & other property, or the cost of a fuse and time to wire it.

If this were my personal gun, I probably wouldn't bother with the fuse if I was running a Nimh (at least until I had another reason to fuss with the wire). If I were running a lipo, then I would install a fuse without question. I run fuses in all of my guns.