Sign in to follow this  
calamitynine

Help choosing an AK 74 U

Hi eveyone.

Looking to pickup an AK 74 U

I'm currently in Canada, so note my limited options and price comparisons.

Ideally, I'm perfectly fine with the CYMA 045A.. but after black friday nobody has stock left. They were going for 250 on sale... which isn't exactly cheap, for an extra 100-175 dollars I can pick up one of the higher end offering.

so I started researching the higher end options and it's been really tough. I've been looking through american and russian youtube reviews and everyone has something to say about each individually but very few real comparisons.

at this time I can get the following locally

E&L, AKS74U, gen 2, $425
LCT, AK74U, $400
G&G, GK74U, $350

now.. everyone swears by LCT.. excellent externals, good (but nothing special) internals, lots of spare parts and compatibility.... BUT, from what I understand/read/listened:

E&L gen2s have the better externals, and one small but apparently notable component is that the slide lever is one piece, while it's welded on the LCT (and prone to bending/snapping)

and again, the gen2 specifically have higher quality internals and qc over their previous gen1 counterparts which were hit and miss

furthermore, one russian reviewer pointed out that taking apart the E&L is easier, as the LCT has hard to reach allen screws hidden deep inside/behind the top cover

G&G
everyone seems to **** on G&G for their latest innovations and proprietary parts, but the GK74U unit in particular doesn't have these parts. It uses a regular stick battery in the gas chamber and has no electric blow back feature.

it uses LCT externals and G&G internals. The internals are nothing special, but supposedly the QC on them is fantastic, shimmed out of the box, shoots straight, nice trigger feel, etc

another bonus for me, is that I'm planning on playing a lot of CQB, this gun apparently shoots soft out of the box, which means I save on changing the spring compared to the E&L and LCT (15 bucks is 15 bucks)

the only two issues I've read form users of this gun is that the fuse is in a ****** position and you really gotta get creative when putting the battery back in

and... well maybe not a negative but the magazine is somewhat proprietary, but in a good way (metal clips and no need for a spacer)

the only concern I have regarding the magazine is that I don't like hicaps and so will have to buy G&G mags if I want to switch it out (also no metal mags from g&g for this gun as far as I understand it)

I'm reaaaallly leaning towards the G&G, for it's the cheapest and yet delivers everything the rest do. And also because everyone that praises LCT seems to do it in a very enthusiastic manner while putting down the competition... I've been around long enough to know that when people talk like that.. they're biased.

There's only one in-depth review of the G&G by a redditor but it's on the carbine.

otherwise everyone clowns on G&G and doens't consider them that good, but from what I gather they're complaining about all the other, older models.

I'd love to hear more opinions or, preferably, technical facts from people so I can finally settle this and make my purchase

thank you

Edited by calamitynine

Spartan has a rebranded the E&L's Look for those.

With E&L on the market...LCT and G&G are not an option. And being only 40.00 USD more for one...CYMA isn't an option either...unless you don't worry about running over your AEG and then needing it to shoot.

good advice from the gugeman, if your ak's sights are wobbly just super glue them then break the glue off by popping the sight up and it wont wobble anymore. I called up AMS and they said they did that but with something thats really close to super glue instead.

Edit: Hey guges, would you reccomend flat hopping a normal aeg like what hes using or is that a terrible idea.

Edited by jroble95

wouldnt it wear out quickly? Or is that a myth because ive never seen a standard stock hopup ever wear out so if it wears out faster than something that takes like 5 years to wear out would it be a big deal for that extra 50+ ft of range? And if hes running at 400 fps like a gun with a used m120 should, how long would it take for it to be worn out using .28s?

Edited by jroble95

What is quickly to you? Will it last 200,000 rounds shooting a coarse bb? Probably not.

The primary issue is not the weight of the bb. Rather its the coarseness of the BB and then the condition can be exacerbated by the weight of the bb.

I shoot Azimuth. It's not High Polish...the slight coarseness lends itself to requiring "less" dialed in Hop (plus other benefits...think golf balls) to put a good spin on the bb. I just finished a complete tear down of my AEG after being in the rain (down pour) for 2 hours. Hop-up packing shows some abrasion marks on the inside...but not to the point of where it needs to be tossed. Shot count...about 60,000 over the last ~2.75 years.

thats what I thought would happen, and yes I knew that stuff. Its more like I diddnt know how long it would last with those specific conditions, I forgot to add bb brands to the "equation"

edit: Also, thoughts on cutting titanium barrels to certain lengths with water jet cutters? (this thing

) Edited by jroble95

I was asking if it was a viable option because my options are very limited as my friend's uncle owns one of those and im not sure if he has a wood cutter which would be more useful. I don't know anyone that can cut my stuff tbh.

Edited by jroble95

I have / had all three.

question....in your post you said that the G&G uses LCT externals.

well, mine didn't. maybe the newer ones do?

someone (looks at guges) fill me in on this?

based on the G&G I had, which had magnesium-based alloy body, I wouldn't recommend it.

it's prone to breakage in the trunnions (just like the CYMA / Dboys VFC-copy lineups).

I'd go with the LCT or the EL.

between them the build quality is virtually equal.

minor detail differences....you won't notice them unless youre a kalashninkov system historian.

BUT

if you are right and the G&G does comes with LCT externals...I'd pick the G&G.

neither the LCT nor the EL come with spectacular internals (they're pretty standard), so it'd make sense to save some money and get the same gun with different branding.

G&G do not use LCT externals.

Two different companies and the LCT boss is not liked by many. So, it would be very hard to JV on projects.

E&L IMHO is by far the best externals in durability. You can always make the internals nice after a purchase. You cannot make the externals nice after a purchase.

http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php?topic=35300.0