LX Kid

WE 191 (1911 Clone) magazine problem. (Heeeelp!)

Hello everyone. 1st newbie post. About a year ago I bought a WE model 191, 1911 clone, and worked really great. After letting it sit in the box for about six months, with propane gas in mags, I now find they won't fit into the gun. They go about 1/2 way in and stop. They are the original silver mags. Did they expand? Is there a fix action? Those mags are "expensive" to replace. Thanks

Edited by LX Kid

I took the mags out to my shop and "delicately" squeezed the mags to where they would go into the pistol. I refilled the mags with Coleman gas stove propane and they once again expanded and were difficult to insert into the pistol. Will the mags only fill up to a certain psi and stop or is it possible to overfill them?

Would it be possible to just leave the mag in the pistol, fill with gas and top load the BB's? Maybe remove the left grip screws to access the BB loading spring.

Edited by LX Kid

Do you have a caliper?

Thanks for replying. Yes that was the first thing I did was to measure the length top to bottom and about half way down it was bulged a few thousandths. That is why I put them in a vice and squeezed the lower half. They did fit after that until I fueled them up with gas!

I'm considering a mod on the mag rather than replacing them. I'm thinking of a bottom feed for the BB's by drilling a hole of about 8mm which would let the spring and follower come out the bottom. I just would not remove the mag from the gun anymore because it swells up inside the mag well. I could then bottom fill, without removing the mag, (gas & BB's) place the follower and spring back and secure with a removable pin to hold everything back together.

Edited by LX Kid

Here's why I'm doing:

Drilled hole in bottom to remove follower and spring.

20170529_091119_resized_zpsoyomcmhw.jpg

Threaded hole 3/8x24 for a small bolt or cap screw. Painted the end. (Not shown)

20170529_092411_resized_zpsiol4o2xi.jpg

Edited by LX Kid

You got early mags that were badly made with the wrong alloys.

$80.00 for mags?

You looking in the wrong place. They sell them for 20-25.00 in most locales

http://www.evike.com/products/32156/#pagetabs <$24.00

http://www.evike.com/products/25346/ <$19.00

Now of the mag springs a leak in another location, you really can't work on it.

Squeezing it back was the right idea...what some people have done in your case has been re-tempering the mag-wall. Strip it down, squeeze, heat it and then quench it in water. One person says they have had luck with...other people just buy new mags.

As for leaving gas in the mags...I do it all the time...its actually not a bad thing for most mags.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Yup, guess I was looking in the wrong places! LoL (Air soft newbie knows nothing! LoL) I finished the magazine and it works great. "But" wouldn't you just know that now it slips in and out of the mag well after filling with gas! Anyway it works and I'll have to wait and see how long things go well with it.

20170529_115405_resized_zpsu6yziflk.jpg

20170529_115939_resized_zpsh9gwva2m.jpg

Another possible issue now would be if the cap screw backs out during play and gets lost, then you also lose the spring and the follower.

Well at almost 70 I don't play so well with others! LoL I just like plinking in the back yard. I had no Idea how powerful these air soft and CO2 BB pistols are. They are al lot of fun and the squirrels hate them. I guess I went off the deep end with these as I now have Umarex M712 and a Umarex MP-40 rifle but have not shot either one of them yet. They are both using CO2 cartridges and steel BB's.

• Upvote 1

I gave you links in my initial response.

Try Evike for the mags....or Google...

Thank you for the links. I did see plain black one for $18.50. Good links for me to check out for my future needs.

Well at almost 70 I don't play so well with others! LoL I just like plinking in the back yard.

Wow, I thought I was one of the old timers here at 52.

Same here, I don't play, just plink and they're an inexpensive alternative for wall hanger display weapons.

Edited by gunnerk19

YEP !!!! 79 and use airsoft pistols for drawing and Point Shooting practice in my yard and shop . I have very bad hand tremors , not so good balance .

If I try aiming the tremors kick in and I am all over the target. So I draw and shoot quickly before they kick in.

I did carry a 1911 and used several 1911 Airsofts to practice but changed over to Glock 19's and purchased several KWA/KWC Airsofts as well.

Gave my grandson a real 1911 and an Airsoft 1911 as well as a basic pistol training class. I still have a few 1911's but almost never shoot them ( both real & AirSoft )

Listen to Guges , he knows his stuff and a great guy to deal with and will go above board to help someone out.

Edited by ken grant
  • Upvote 1

Still wasting time, energy and brain cells trying to improve (ha) the magazine. I cross drilled the bottom of the mag to use a cotter pin to hold the spring after compressing. The rod compresses the spring and the tube keeps the spring from buckling. About ready to "bite the bullet" and give up on this little adventure. I'm just a tinkerer at heart though and enjoy wasting my time! LoL

20170531_122022_resized_zpsf8twwfop.jpg

Edited by LX Kid

The mod I've done on the mag just isn't going to work out so good. That small diameter spring for the follower is very fragile and is prone to kink. That's what the plastic tube is for to keep the spring from kinking when reinserting back into the mag. As is now it will go in and out of the mag well. It won't just "fall" out but with the gas depleted it will come out with a little tug.