Staabie

Questionable M4 aeg rof

Hi,

Built my first custom aeg--yay awesome. Shoots fine and all with great trigger response but from what I've been reading, I don't think I'm quite getting the rof I should be with my setup. Just wondering if anyone thinks it's awfully too slow for what parts I have so I can determine if I should open it back up and troubleshoot.

24rps

340fps

(I believe) m110 guarder spring with two coils cut. Honestly don't remember what spring it was

SHS HT motor

13:1 super shooter gears

11.1v 20c 1000mAh Lipo

8mm lonex ball bearings

Try it with a battery that's capable of a higher discharge. The one you're using will be maxed out.

But be aware that if you do, it's likely to destroy itself. You'll hit over 30rps without too much trouble, and on that spring it will likely suffer pre engagement and smash the sector gear and/or the piston.

Edited by Hangtight

Unless the piston is really heavy he should be safe up to at least 35 rps, a Guarder SP110 is equivalent to an ~M120 spring FYI. I agree on the battery, that battery is grossly under powered, it can handle a 20A continous discharge at best. I recommend a li-po that can handle at least twice that.

Thanks for quick replies guys.

I'm new to forums and all so I hope I'm doing this right but I'm looking at new batteries right now. Should I be looking at something like a 40C constant or would ones that say 35cinstant~70burst with high mAh. As for the pre-engagement, how would I counter this if it became a problem? Something like a Swiss cheesed piston? I have one of those on hand.

That may have been the case if the spring hadn't had two coils cut. But seeing as it's shooting 340fps I'd be a little concerned.

True, but should still be safe to 35ish with a really light piston, the cylinder is probably ported, so that helps a bit too. Might be wise to get a fresh SP110 and short stroke a couple teeth instead to be on the safe side I guess.

Thanks for quick replies guys.

I'm new to forums and all so I hope I'm doing this right but I'm looking at new batteries right now. Should I be looking at something like a 40C constant or would ones that say 35cinstant~70burst with high mAh. As for the pre-engagement, how would I counter this if it became a problem? Something like a Swiss cheesed piston? I have one of those on hand.

An 11.1V li-po with 25C or more and 1500mAh or more would get the job done. My main batteries are Gens Ace li-po's with 11.1V 25C 2500mAh, they can run any setup.

For anyone that may still be checking in on this, I ended up getting a 2200mAh 11.1v Gens Ace lipo. Very nice battery, will definitely be getting more of those. As for the gearbox, I did see an improved rof but not significant. It might be my poor soldering work or shimming. Never said I was an expert at these things. I did also encounter pre-engagement because there is slight wear down in the middle of my pistons metal tooth rack. Bought a fresh m120 to mitigate that since I was looking to increase fps anyways and will be installing cleaner 16 gauge wires that arent torn up from my past mistakes. Wish me luck :)

You probably got a "lemon" motor, SHS seems to have issues with QC again lately... I'm phasing out SHS/DA motors these days, they're too inconsistent, I've fallen in love with the glorious TM EG1000 armature, it makes for a beastly motor in a strong neo magnet can. If you don't wanna source a TM armature you could always get an ASG motor, they recently released a promising "Economy line" that should give ACM brands some serious competition.

You probably got a "lemon" motor, SHS seems to have issues with QC again lately... I'm phasing out SHS/DA motors these days, they're too inconsistent, I've fallen in love with the glorious TM EG1000 armature, it makes for a beastly motor in a strong neo magnet can. If you don't wanna source a TM armature you could always get an ASG motor, they recently released a promising "Economy line" that should give ACM brands some serious competition.

Ah if I got a lemon that would be upsetting. Wasn't planning on investing in a new motor. If those TM EG1000 armatures are good enough I wouldn't mind taking that out and putting it with my SHS can if that's a sound idea.

Edited by Staabie

I'm running a TM EG1000 armature in an SHS neo can in my ICS MP5, it's pulling a Guarder SP120 spring on 13:1 ratio gears on a high output 11.1V li-po doing a brisk 32rps and 1.45 joules. It barely heats up at all and has a very snappy trigger response.

Edited by Lefse