to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Conradgr

Wondering if I can turn this build into a Dsg

The laws of physics definitely get very annoying when you go beyond 40 rps with an SSG setup. I did a 50 rps setup in my old AUG, quite similar to the one in the video. It was actually the ARL spring that was the biggest pain in my butt, it kept breaking because of the extremely high motor RPM. I also literally cracked the sector gear when I accidentally set the hop-up to maximum and had a compression jam. The piston, bearings and the other gears survived without a scratch, to my big surprise.

IMO a 50 rps DSG setup is easier to do than a 50 rps SSG setup. A 50 rps SSG gearbox feels like it's gonna explode any second when you run it, while a 50 rps DSG gearbox feels almost anti-climatic in comparison.

Here you can hear the ARL spring fail for the umpteenth time:

The laws of physics definitely get very annoying when you go beyond 40 rps with an SSG setup. I did a 50 rps setup in my old AUG, quite similar to the one in the video. It was actually the ARL spring that was the biggest pain in my butt, it kept breaking because of the extremely high motor RPM. I also literally cracked the sector gear when I accidentally set the hop-up to maximum and had a compression jam. The piston, bearings and the other gears survived without a scratch, to my big surprise.

IMO a 50 rps DSG setup is easier to do than a 50 rps SSG setup. A 50 rps SSG gearbox feels like it's gonna explode any second when you run it, while a 50 rps DSG gearbox feels almost anti-climatic in comparison.

Here you can hear the ARL spring fail for the umpteenth time:

sorry but im noob I dnt know what im listening for

You can hear the gears rotating about 1/4 of a cycle in reverse after each burst, this build really ate ARL springs. It was fun to do though, mostly did it for fun, eventually the brush leads on the motor burnt off from the extreme current.

Edited by Lefse

You can hear the gears rotating about 1/4 of a cycle in reverse after each burst, this build really ate ARL springs. It was fun to do though, mostly did it for fun, eventually the brush leads on the motor burnt off from the extreme current.

hey so I figured out the barrel im going to be using is 363mm can I run a dsg with that? And if not can I put a shorter inner barrel in a longer outer barrel without affecting preformance. Or should I just go SSG with speed motor. Edited by Conradgr

You can use a 363mm barrel, but the volume ratio will be very low. Using an inner barrel that's shorter than the outer barrel usually won't cause any issues.

in your opinion what is the best barrel length because I have this old jg bar 10 barrel thats like 400mm that I can cut to whatever length I want

Are you sure that barrel is AEG compatible? If it is then around 200mm should be quite optimal. I've got a 247mm tightbore in my DSG AK and it seems to give quite good compression efficiency.

k well I ended up getting shs 18:1 gears shs dsg shs pre lightened piston that I will still lighten more shs cylinder head and m160 spring so im wonder whats a good motor to go with this because I got this a&k gr300 off craigslist for 45$ but was missing motor. Ive been looking at high torques but cant seem to find their tpa, is the ics a good option because its the cheapest.

On 11.1v 22TPA will give you 40+rps (ZCI Torque $30), or 16TPA will give you 45+rps (ZCI balanced $30). At those speeds there should be no reason to lighten the piston any more than taking the bearing out and replacing it with a light plastic spacer.

idk its not that hard to do and it definitely doesnt hurt. Ill probably end up getting the shs high torque 16 tpa. Also how much compression loss are we talking with a 345mm barrel does it only effect fps or does it cause other issues.

ICS motors...not so good. That is why they are cheap.

what do you recommend then? Like around $50 Edited by Conradgr

Don't do what's not necessary. Although it's possible to lighten a piston and retain the strength required to do the job, it's only really needed for more extreme rates of fire. In fact a lighter piston is bad for efficiency, so you want the heaviest piston that's consistent with the cycle speed.

A typical DSG has enough cylinder compression to support a barrel about 200mm long. If the barrel is any longer then there is no air pressure to continue pushing the BB and it then becomes a piston in the bore with potentially negative pressure behind it actively slowing it down. With no air pressure to provide the air 'cushion' around the BB it will also be more influenced by the bore quality which might have an effect on accuracy.

SHS have recently had some quality control issues, which is why I suggested the ZCI 16TPA motor. If you feel like spending a bit more then the new ASG Boost 30k is excellent.

Don't do what's not necessary. Although it's possible to lighten a piston and retain the strength required to do the job, it's only really needed for more extreme rates of fire. In fact a lighter piston is bad for efficiency, so you want the heaviest piston that's consistent with the cycle speed.

A typical DSG has enough cylinder compression to support a barrel about 200mm long. If the barrel is any longer then there is no air pressure to continue pushing the BB and it then becomes a piston in the bore with potentially negative pressure behind it actively slowing it down. With no air pressure to provide the air 'cushion' around the BB it will also be more influenced by the bore quality which might have an effect on accuracy.

SHS have recently had some quality control issues, which is why I suggested the ZCI 16TPA motor. If you feel like spending a bit more then the new ASG Boost 30k is excellent.

alright thx ill order that. Ill have the build done in 2-3 weeks when all the stuff arrives, ill make sure to send a link to a vid of the finished project. Thanks all of you guys for your patience and helping me out it is very much appreciated.