X_Havoc_X

BTC Spectre Mk.II Help

So I installed a BTC Spectre Mk.II in my high speed (~32rps) build M4 and I was using a FireFox 30c 11.1v LiPo. Although, I am having the problem of the motor getting very warm after a few shots and bursts of full auto. I don't think this is normal and would anyone know what is wrong? If so what would I need to get, a new motor (currently using SHS High Torque) or a 30-60c high discharge LiPo or is it something else?

SHS motors are rather power hungry, so they heat up quite a bit. You neglect to tell us what the MAH of the batteries are which makes it impossible to tell if they provide sufficient current. Firefox isn't a particularly great brand of lipos.

Also internally, what does your gun have? Knowing all this may help us determine if it is a motor, battery, or build issue. Right now, we don't have a whole lot to go on diagnostically, other that motor.

Thanks for the reply... I have Turnigy 1000mah LiPo's, however they are only 15-25c. The Firefox battery was a PEQ that I only used for testing and it was 1300mah. Currently the internals of my gearbox are as follows:
1. G&P O Ring Aluminum Nozzle
2. SHS Tappet Plate
SHS Dual O Ring Cylinder Head, teflon taped, 70D 3/16" Sorbo and neo pad added
3. SHS Ported Cylinder
4. Element Ported Aluminum Ball Bearing Piston Head
5. SHS Piston, Swiss Cheesed, Short Stroked 2 teeth
6. SHS M110 Spring
7. Element Ball Bearing Spring Guide
8. SHS 13:1 Gears, Sector has a delayer chip and Swiss cheesed 2 teeth
9. SHS 8mm Steel Bushings
10. SHS High Torque Motor
Gearbox is Radius'd, and the gears are shimmed to spin freely with gearbox screwed together, very little up and down movement and not scraping on each other.

Let me know if any other info is needed. Thanks again!

It's most likely your motor. Change that out and you should be fine. You can always go with a larger battery, but a 39 amp discharge capacity that your firefox has should be sufficient for your gun, provided you change the motor.

What Motor would you recommend to get to keep my high speed? I always read High Torque is better than high speed motors. I live in Canada so some parts may not be as easy to find. Also, the Firefox was just a test battery, the normal batteries I run like I said were the Turnigy 15-25c 1000mah buffer tube batteries, so in that case guessing I have to get a higher discharge buffer battery as well?

That set up should draw around 22A which shouldn't be enough to really heat up A SHS HT unless you have a lemon motor. I have similar set ups that run fine. You can expect more heating if you fire a lot of semi auto, but on full auto it should run like a champ unless there is a lot of internal resistance in the gearbox. You say the gears run free, but check your motor height and whether the piston moves free in the gearbox. SHS have had some QC issues lately and I've had two pistons that are a tight fit on the rails. Although if you're pushing 30+ rps with no pre engagement, I expect they'd piston fit is OK.

The Turnigy buffer tube batteries are not up to the job of running that set up. Like I said, it should be drawing around 22A continuous, but the start up current when you first pull the trigger is probably around 3 times that, so a 30/60C 1300mah would be a better choice if you want the batteries to survive as you won't be over stressing them.

Are you running with AB turned on?

Edited by Hangtight

Stick with 16TPA. Starting inexpensive and working up (but cheap doesn't mean bad, and I've used all of these successfully...) ZCI high speed /balanced motor, the new ASG Boost 30K, ASG Ultimate CNC 30K.

Before you splash on a new motor get one of those cheap RC power meters and check the current draw.

https://www.PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO EBAY SITES. COPY AND PASTE AD DETAILS HERE - THEIR ADS GO AWAY AFTER 90 DAYS/sch/I.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.XRC+watt+meter.TRS0&_nkw=RC+watt+meter&_sacat=0

If it's only pulling 21-22A and still getting hot then lemon motor. If it's pulling way more then lemon motor /mechanical resistance.

Plus these meters are a good way to fine tune the motor height, and check that you're not over stressing the batteries.

Do you use the active braking on the Spectre?

Edited by Hangtight

I use minimum braking on my BTC as if I don't my piston completes a cycle and still comes back some. The battery I was testing with was a 30c lipo btw. Although I had the exact same setup and nothing different with a FireStorm System mosfet installed and the motor didn't heat up as quickly as my BTC is making it. Any other ideas? Was also looking at the Modify MPI 22TPA Motor if it's any good.

You keep refering to C like its a magical number for the battery. It's not. The number tells you very little without combining it with the MAH. When you refer to a battey, you need to refer to BOTH C and MAH.

For example:

40C 1000mah battery 40*1.0=40amp discharge capability

20C 2000mah battery 20*2.0=40amp discharge capability

both of those battery will perform very similarly.

10C 5000mah battery 10*5.0=50amp discharge capability

50C 750mah battery 50*0.75=37amp discharge capability

the 10C 5000mah pack is bettery because it can supply more amps if needed.

If you want to attempt to push the ROF higher with the Tienly motor then you are probably going to need to move to a heavier spring and a more severe short stroke to avoid PME. On your current set up the Tienly 35k will increase overspin, increase the draw on the batteries and increase the stress on the gearbox.

It would be best to diagnose the problem rather than just buying new parts and hoping it goes away.

Hey everyone,
Finally got my new motor grip from RedWolf and when testing with my FireFox 1300mah 30C battery on the app, shooting semi with my active braking turned off completely, it seems to show it pulling 15-20A and the odd spike to 20-25A. It doesn't seem like the motor grip is getting as hot anymore. Is this a typical current draw for my setup?

Thanks again for everyone's help, it really did help. Sorry about all the questions, just don't have the money right now to send it to a tech 6 hours away.