Sign in to follow this  
laughing cheese

Ammo Idea...

Ok, the reason I like airsoft is the guns. But, the reason I like paintball is that you know for certain that you got hit. Cheesy guns maybe if you want cool factor/realism, but their rounds actually let you know your hit (bright paint everywhere).

So, since the general concensus seems to be that airsoft paintballs suck, I was thinking: what about a hardened powder type ball?

It would have a shell of plastic, but the shell would be able to break and release the powder. Of course the powder would have to be semi hard in order to hold its shape. (I'm not thinking like baking powder or something; some type of "plasticized" powder--I don't know how to describe it.) Maybe the shell/powder could be biodegradeable somehow. (Of course biodegradeable technology would have to advance so maybe it wouldn't be...)

Seems worth investigating to me.

Seeing as that's faster than a .22- no that's not true. Technically possible with some guns, but nothing like that wuld be allowed at any field.

Unless you had a closeset shooting range for 200 feet, and you were playing at like 500 ft, otherwise yeah a 900fps gun will never be allowed.

Seeing as that's faster than a .22- no that's not true. Technically possible with some guns, but nothing like that wuld be allowed at any field.

Ah-ok. Thanks for clearing that up! (But please, lets stay on topic; I want replies about the idea-not the sniper thing-drat I shouldn't have posted that! Thannks, LC)

Edited by Laughing Cheese

Guest triggerhappy

There are airsoft painballs. They suck. Anyway, paintball and airsoft are two different things you just want airsoft to conform to your paintball needs. Airsoft is about trust so you don't need proof of a hit.

That sounds like a good idea, it would take some work, but it would be cool.

But the other thing that you have to remember is that airsoft has been based around the Honor code. For example the shooter sees that he/she hit the person. But maybe the person that go shot has lots of gear on and did not feel it. But the shooter insists that he/she shot the person. The honorable thing, for the person that got shot, to do is say "okay that's all good"

Maybe a little much, but that is how I believe it is. Currect me if I am wrong people.

Currect me if I am wrong people.

Currect is spelled Correct---- 'jus kiddin mate.

I'm totally withya mate. Its all 'bout trust. If ya got hit, ya better own up. Nobody likes a cheater.

There are airsoft painballs. They suck. Anyway, paintball and airsoft are two different things you just want airsoft to conform to your paintball needs. Airsoft is about trust so you don't need proof of a hit.

I'm not talking about "airsoft paintballs." I'm talking about powder balls. That would break on impact (of course). Sorta like paintballs I guess, but with powder.

I thought of powder because it seems like you could harden it enough to fire out of an AEG, but still keep it soft enough to break.

If you want to play the honor system, fine go ahead. Some of us have different preferences. Honor is great and all, but I like to know for sure that I've gotten a hit. So if you want to play honor, go for it. But some of us have different prefernces.

Me, I just like knowing I got a hit. Airsoft paintballs probably do suck. Powder seems the only alternative.

[/rant/sermon]:rolleyes:

You could just color die flour, but I don't see the reason why powder would be better than paint. It might be a little cleaner, but it's really not worth it.

I figured you might be able to harden powder enough so that you could put it in some sort of shell and sitll fire it from an AEG. I dunno; it just seemed like powder would be less messy than paint, maybe come off of gear easier, and would definitely let you know you got hit.

Yeah

you might be able to harden powder enough so that you could put it in some sort of shell and sitll fire it from an AEG. powder would be less messy than paint, maybe come off of gear easier, and would definitely let you know you got hit.

What He said. Its an absolute excelent idea mates. don't ya see it?

Guest triggerhappy
If you want to play the honor system, fine go ahead. Some of us have different preferences. Honor is great and all, but I like to know for sure that I've gotten a hit. So if you want to play honor, go for it. But some of us have different prefernces.

Me, I just like knowing I got a hit. Airsoft paintballs probably do suck. Powder seems the only alternative.

[/rant/sermon]:rolleyes:

But that's not airsoft, it's paintball with realistic guns. Paint/powder same affect.

But that's not airsoft, it's paintball with realistic guns. Paint/powder same affect.

Maybe, but I was thinking that since airsoft paintballs suck, then if hardened powder (+shell or something) could be used, it'd be less messy than paint, and could be used in airsoft guns. Powderball BBs for airsoft guns.

Those realistic paintball guns seem bulky, and their FAR more expensive than airsoft guns. These Powder ball BBs would give airsoft guns the ability to mark the target like paintball guns do, except less bulky, and in a more realistic firearm-the arisoft gun. It would still be cheaper than paintball. If Powderballs would work, you wouldn't have to worry (too much) about whether or not you got a hit.

I know airsoft is an honor game, but Powderball BBs would allow you to choose different methods of play: knowing you actually got hit/got a hit, vs. the good 'ole days of honor. Powderball BBs allow you to choose both.

PS: No offense meant by my earlier ranting ;).

OK, this sounds like an ok idea to me but I have two problems with it. First off, what about mesh masks, I like them because they can't fog but powder bbs would get s**t :boxed: all over your face. Secondly, it would raise the price of bbs alot and if you airsoft on a budget like me you definetly don't want that.

-Pickles

Umm....a .22 is 3200 feet per second max, no less than 2600...

ralph, lowest rifle round is about 1500 I think.

um hey u got a great idea here. But a couple of things, first someone actually ahs to design this. I reccomend you find an airosft company and tell them to approach 3m (they are one of the biggest chemical companies around. I live 10 min from headquarters.) But if someone gives them a contract big enough, they will build anything for you.

Next problem again is price, one of the big reasons people play airsoft is ammo prices.

Can someone actually try to make this happen?

Umm....a .22 is 3200 feet per second max, no less than 2600...

Hmmm

The standard velocity .22 Long Rifle takes a wax coated 40 grain RN lead bullet to a muzzle velocity of 1,138 fps.

Almost double that for your magic bullets, huh?

Anyways. I do think this is a good idea. However, the shell would have to be a magical consistancy. With a 6mm circumference, the surface area is 113.1mm^2, given that large surface area with a small volume of only around 37.7mm^3 that is a huge SA to Volume ratio and that equals a very solid structure. This is already easily proven by the paintballs provided to the consumers atm. However, given those basic calculations you know you need something that is immediatly rigid but once the substance has left the muzzle, it needs a magical change of rigidity to a more brittle constitution. Sometime akin to silly putty but backwards almost. I'll check around but by the very nature of the 6mm bb, there isnt much hope for cheap and reliable marking bbs.

And that, my friends, proves how Pre-Calculus and other such higher maths poison your brain into randomly proving mathematical things wrong in forums...

This will most likely not work.

For some of the courses I have been through we use compressed metal powder rounds (Frangible ammo). This ammo is made to break up on contact with a hard target, like a steel plate (pretty sparks at night). The problem with this ammo, and I'm sure it would be the same with airsoft, is that the force of firing the round is generally going to be much greater than the force of impact with anything other than a very hard relatively static targets. The frangible ammo acts like ball ammo on flesh and blood targets. Ballistically speaking, people and clothing are very elastic objects. A powder projectile could "puff" on impact with protective gear or equipment.

I guess you really just have to depend on the honor system.

FYI, .22long rifle rimfire is generally between 850-1450fps with a 40-30 grain projectile. A .25g BB only weighs about 3.8grains. You are looking at two orders of magnitude difference of projectile energy between a .22lr and an airsoft, and three orders (a thousand times more) between a 5.56x45mm round and an airsoft.

These guy just want people to think about these powder balls used in an airsoft AEG (basically a paintball ammo but with powder I don't know I think if it ever burst in the gun then all that powder would ruin your gun when it mixes with the silicon most use in there guns).... you do know they make some M16 look alike paintball gun. if you want a paintball that looks like a firarm then look in to that.