LightHeaded

Total Newbie Question

Hi all,

I'm a total FNG at these airsoft guns and I have been searching for the info I'm looking for and have not been able to find it yet. Everytime I see anything about the guns mentioned, it is normally in regards to velocity. With velocity factored in, what I the approximate effective range of these guns, and what type of precision are they capable of? For instance, are they able to hold a 4" groups at 25 yards? More, less?

I have a solid understanding of ballistics, and realize that these small super low mass BB's probably don't cary much energy downrange, but do they behave more like a golfball in flight than a bullet?

Thanks.

So is that meaning that hitting a 10x15" man sized target at 50 yards is going to be 100% accurate?

Say best case scenario in respect to BB's and guns, what is the maximum range airsoft guns are effective to? Is the flight time of the projectile very long out to these ranges?

The main reason I ask is that I played some paintball with a few buddies maybe five or ten years back. I thought the range was decent, but found the lack of precise flight of the balls to be very annoying. So someone that I would have had easy with miles geat I would have to fire a bunch of balls at to hit.

I really like the idea of airsoft and am hoping the guns are better ballistically than paintball. Both are much cheaper and appear to hurt MUCH less than simunitions (which I swear I will never play again, unless asked to....), so I guess I'll have to make a compromise somewhere. Just trying to collect info as to where.

Thanks

So is that meaning that hitting a 10x15" man sized target at 50 yards is going to be 100% accurate?

Say best case scenario in respect to BB's and guns, what is the maximum range airsoft guns are effective to? Is the flight time of the projectile very long out to these ranges?

The main reason I ask is that I played some paintball with a few buddies maybe five or ten years back. I thought the range was decent, but found the lack of precise flight of the balls to be very annoying. So someone that I would have had easy with miles geat I would have to fire a bunch of balls at to hit.

I really like the idea of airsoft and am hoping the guns are better ballistically than paintball. Both are much cheaper and appear to hurt MUCH less than simunitions (which I swear I will never play again, unless asked to....), so I guess I'll have to make a compromise somewhere. Just trying to collect info as to where.

Thanks

Well a standard Tokyo Marui AEG (Automatic Electric Gun) shoots from 265 FPS to 285 FPS and have an approximate range of 120 ft. But any high end AEG can be upgraded just a bit to say 325 FPS or alot to 400 FPS (400 is pretty much the standard limit for automatic rifles at fields but can be upgraded further if desired) For a Sniper rifle (being semi-auto or bolt action) one could upgrade it to 500 FPS (now look at 285 FPS shooting 120 ft then look at 500 FPS and guesstamate how far it would shoot. I'm sure you can find someone on this forum to tell you) Giving the sniper the ability to shoot at a farther distance. So yes airsoft (if upgraded) can shoot better than paintball (someone currect me if I am wrong) I really hope this helps, if you have any more questions you can PM me or just post on the topic, I will turn on Email notifications so I will know if someone replies. Good day

Guest TriChrome

The BB will generaly go exactly where you're aiming at to about 40-45 yards with a stock gun. Because of hop-up (which puts a backspin on the BB so they go further), the Bb doesn't exactly go in a perfectly straight line. The almost go straight, then just the littliest bit up, then hit their target. I think they're much more accurate than a paintball gun.

They are definantly more accurate. By that I mean 'real' airsoft guns. Not Neon Fires or CYMA guns, but even UTG guns are as accurate if not more accurate than paintball guns. Now, pistols, are another story, those tend to be a bit less accurate if they are blow backs (operate just like real handguns and uses the energy source used to propell the bb to also blowback the slide, thus placing a new round in the chamber and charging the waepon) because the blow back motion moves your hand, and since the gun is in your hand your hand will also move, obviously.

I think any aeg that is not upgraded (besides the crappy ones) are more accurate than paintball out of the box.

Thanks all,

I'll probably be asking about picking up a gun before too long. I'm deployed overseas and have a few weeks till I get back to the US, so I've been doing some reading up and browsing.

I am thinking about picking up one of the Tokyo Mauri guns, either the M16A2/M4 Clones, or one of the fixed stock MP5's types. So I'll probably be asking about this later as well. And good places to find upgraded internals. I've done a fair amount of work on mechanical devices and electronics, and these look pretty easy to work on from what I have seen.

The FPS is really jus the muzzle velocity. Like for example, if on the box of a gun- it reads "240 FPS" Thats how fast the BB exits the muzzle. Also- the BB weight factors in. A gun with 240 FPS would shoot about 80-100 feet. All depending on your BB weight.

Its a fun sport mate.