to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Hey y'all, I'm new here and would really appreciate some help. So I got this boneyard gun and I've been tinkering with it. It shot right out of the box but with low fps, so I took apart the gearbox and found that the O ring on the piston head was too small. So I changed it, put back together and shot it but it was worse. Turns out, that O ring was too big and was creating too much friction. Took it apart again, fixed that, did a compression test (and it was good), and put it back together. This time the motor would just click. So I took apart again and messed with it, not finding anything, and put it back together. Same problem. So I removed the gearbox, stuck the motor in and pulled the trigger. This time I noticed that the piston just budges a little like the gears can't move it. I'm getting a little annoyed with it and debating whether or not to just get a new gearbox. Any ideas? 

Edited by Stealth19

Bad shimming...is it shimmed too tight?
DId you do a shim test?

Shim test involves just the gears only in a buttoned up gear box.  You stick your finger in through the cylinder hole and give it a spin.  If you get about 2 rotations...your good.

• Like 1

Hey, thx for the reply! I did the shim test like you said and it was good. So I put the gun back together and tried again. This time it's making a kinda whirring sound that pulses twice. I'm starting to feel defeated and wondering if I should just get a new gearbox. Is there anything else I should try first, or just get the gearbox?

Here is another thing...the Modern Airsoft Industry has devolved.

Nothing is made "TM Compatible" any more.  There are no standards, minimal QC and definitely fleece the "new user" is the norm.  Nothing is slap togther simple or "you can just buy a part to fix/replace that...".  Those that do say something like that is not very "experienced" in the matter of "fixing" airsoft.

So, with that let's address your next set of symptoms.

I have never heard anyone describe a whirring sound that pulses twice.  Please provide more detail.  Does it pulse twice and then stop?  Where is the noise originating from?  Motor?  MOSFET (is there a mosfet)?

Have you testing piston compatibility?  I.e...is it to fat for the mechbox?

Edited by Guges Mk3

I don't really know how else to describe it... it sounds almost like the gears are engaging and giving up 🤔. It's weird. But yes, it pulses twice and stops. The motor does vibrate a lot, but it's pretty loud and hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from. And there is no MOSFET that I know of. 

The piston seems fine.

Idk... let me know whether or not to just get a gearbox...

Getting another gearbox is your call.

But, on Airsoft Society another user is trying to make a Lonex shell fit in a VFC....it's not going so well.  Circle back to my comment about Airsoft devolving...

Video can help...how about posting some videos.

Ok...

I did separate the receivers and took a closer look. I took a vid, but the forum won't allow me to upload  it, smh.

Basically what's happening is the piston is moving back and forth, but pretty slow. I mean, slower than it should at least. And I still don't really know how to describe the sound. I guess it's closer to a grinding that whirring, idk. It's weird. I guess I'll just get the gearbox...