to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Guest Sharpshot

Don't Know What A Fad Is?

Guest Sharpshot

I have heard numerous stories coming out of the Moderators on this Funny Stuff forum. They say they didnt think it was a good idea but, Admin wanted it. If there are too many heated arguments in this area, it is sure to be shut down. So please, read this thread to keep this forum alive.

A FAD, or Flaming Article of Doom, is a thread that gradually escalates into a heated argument which leads to bad representation of the forum and the imminent closing of the FAD thread. To keep this area alive, we must stick to things that wont give people a reason to get out of hand and stray from the original topic.

Things that usually escalate into FADs are topics like

• Racial jokes
  • Cultural jokes
  • Brand jokes (I.e. CYMA sucks, anyone who doesnt own at least a dozen Mauris isnt a hardcore airsofter etc...)
  • Anything that will make people angry which, in turn, gets the thread closed
For an excellent example of a FAD that got closed, read this

Another good way to keep the Mods from closing any thread in general, STAY ON TOPIC. The Best Sniper Weapon Ever just went because it strayed off topic for about a page and a half.

I think this should be pinned to educate the posters and to keep our Funny Stuff thread safe. If you want, put a link to here in your Sig to educate the masses and keep all of Airsoft Forum FAD free.

Edited by Sharpshot

The 'Funny Stuff' forum has been around for a long time, actually since the boards launch in (2003). It has seen its fair share of controversy and debate but never really presented any real problems. It has been deemed "The closest thing to an off topic forum ASF will ever get".

Anyway, GREAT IDEA... I think this thread defiantly merits a pin.

Guest microgta

Yea great idea and good work. But I don't think the Funny Stuff section will ever be shut down. Like Domskidan said its been around a long time. Even if it did get closed Admin will reopen it. He's the webmaster and what he says goes.

You bring up a valid point though, that part of the forum has been experiencing some tension as of late, and something needs to be done about it. I just think if people respect one another opinions everything will be fine, but from your example thread I think we can all agree its just not going to happen.

I don't know about the whole thin ice thing, but something defiantly needs to be done.

Guest Sharpshot

A tighter control by the Moderators on this area would help. But, the Mods do have other things that are more important on ASF, like the actual airsoft related topics, to worry about.

Prehapes(SP?) we should be recruiting new Mods.

We already have held a discussion about recruiting new mods and most of them did not feel they were necessary at this time. However we are keeping an eye out for potential mods in the future, and bombarding my inbox with PM's about it will not help you much. If your interested, my advice would be to just be your self, help out new members and prove to us that you are worthy of being a good mod by example and when the time comes then you can show your interest, but that time is not now.

Guest bonham21cent

Great job, Sharpshot, my fellow........ "Funny Stuff Section Police". We should totally mod this thread and keep it FAD free!

Guest Sharpshot
Great job, Sharpshot, my fellow........ "Funny Stuff Section Police". We should totally mod this thread and keep it FAD free!

Oh yeah :a-cool:

Check out those sweet FAD Police Aviators.

Prehapes(SP?) we should be recruiting new Mods.

yeah like someone who has no opinion with the racist thing. So they don't take sides. When someone is being racist about anything at all, their post gets deleted or the thread is closed. Closing the thread though stops everything in the thread and brings the funny stuff forum closer to bye-byeness.

Guest Return of the Searching

haha, sharpshot, where ever did you get this idea. lol, I should have had it copywrited and made people pay 50 cents every time they said it rofl :a-jester:

Edited by Return of the Searching

Guest Sharpshot
yeah like someone who has no opinion with the racist thing. So they don't take sides. When someone is being racist about anything at all, their post gets deleted or the thread is closed. Closing the thread though stops everything in the thread and brings the funny stuff forum closer to bye-byeness.

Exactly, I should have had my Military Joke thread closed as soon as callme.nasty made his little comment.

With a few minor changes, I think this could be a sitewide pin. All I would have to do is change the list of examples for the different areas.

Edited by Sharpshot

Guest bonham21cent
haha, sharpshot, where ever did you get this idea. lol, I should have had it copywrited and made people pay 50 cents every time they said it rofl :a-jester:

Well, it really all started with callme.nasty and the French Jokes thread. He made a comment (and not trying to start anything, just telling what he said) "I hate black people. Is that funny?" which kind of sparked a HUGE racial argument and a debate on what should be considered racism. Then I made my thread which is also posted here (there's a link in my sig right now) and he made a post about F.A.D.s.

PS Sharpshot, I put your link in my sig. Put mine in yours!!!!! Together, we can save the Funny Stuff section from the impending doom that is F.A.D.s!!!

Edited by bonham21cent

I think Sharpshot would make a great "Funny Stuff" moderator. He's un opinionated, and can keep a thread under control.

**edit** Telling stories is the best way to ruin a thread, I don't think that anyone's said anything about that yet.

Edited by rhodekill_96

Guest Sharpshot
I think Sharpshot would make a great "Funny Stuff" moderator. He's un opinionated, and can keep a thread under control.

**edit** Telling stories is the best way to ruin a thread, I don't think that anyone's said anything about that yet.

Good idea. I will add telling stories to my list in my original post

Guest bonham21cent

Uhh... How do stories ruin threads? Just wondering, but I like a lot of the interesting stories. You may be thinking of different stories that I am, but I'm just wondering.

Guest Sharpshot

I don't know. Now that I really am thinking about it, it doesnt make any sense. For now I am taking it back off the list. If anyone can come up with a good reason why stories ruin threads, I will put it back up.

Guest Return of the Searching
Well, it really all started with callme.nasty and the French Jokes thread. He made a comment (and not trying to start anything, just telling what he said) "I hate black people. Is that funny?" which kind of sparked a HUGE racial argument and a debate on what should be considered racism. Then I made my thread which is also posted here (there's a link in my sig right now) and he made a post about F.A.D.s.

PS Sharpshot, I put your link in my sig. Put mine in yours!!!!! Together, we can save the Funny Stuff section from the impending doom that is F.A.D.s!!!

lol, im just talking abou the F.A.D. part. look at the other pinned topic, what this section is for. :a-grin:

Read this. It didn't become a FAD, but got extremely off topic, after page 2.example

Sorry about that, -=Bloodred=-

Guest Sharpshot
Read this. It didn't become a FAD, but got extremely off topic, after page 2.example

Sorry about that, -=Bloodred=-

OK, now that I see some proof, it has earned its spot back on my list.

• Telling stories (ex. the one above in rhodekill_96s post) Stories that rant on and on make Mods and admin angry :ranting: