• Commander
  2. 2. Your Combat Style:

• Regular
    • Fast Attack
    • Suppression
    • Marksman
    • Guerilla

Guest Sir Biscuit

Hello everyone, a few words before you look at the choices. There are too many combinations available to simply put into a poll, (60!) so they have been divided by role and combat type. The unfortunate drawback to this is that we cannot see the exact combinations. The other unfortunate drawback is that I’m allowed only two poll questions, so commander has been mixed with the other roles. Oh well. Please list your full role in a post after you vote, so we can have a better idea of what you are.

Commander: Responsible for directing movement and fire for the team as a whole, the commander is responsible for making sure all troops are operating at maximum efficiency. Do not fall for the common misconception, however, that the commander is an “HQ” unit that stays away from the main force in favor of plotting in some back tent. The commander usually fulfills a second role in addition to his main. This role can be just about anything other then recon. Think of them as “Squad Leaders” if it makes you more comfortable with their combat role.

As a commander, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the various roles and their uses. I think that there are actually many more roles then most people believe. Below I have assembled some of the various roles and their subgroups:

(Note that none of these groups use actually military terminology for their name! These are simply roles I see on the battlefield and have given names.)

Assault: The mainstay of any attacking force, assault is a vital role that can never be quite fully realized by any other class. It is the assault trooper’s job to attack enemy positions, as well as taking and holding strong points. I have divided it into three sub-groups:

CQB: Masters of movement, those who fall into this role are experts in getting into close quarters battles and winning. Those who fall into this role must be unafraid of taking large volumes of fire, possibly over extended periods of time; they must also be able to negotiate enemy ambushes and be able to respond quickly to any emerging threat. However, these troops usually lack ranged firepower, (short guns) and are virtually useless without Medium-Range Rifleman or Support. This is what I play in addition to my commander role.

Medium-Range Rifleman (MRR): The vast majority of players I see fall into this category. MRR’s are players who prize flexibility, but tend to remain at medium ranges where their guns can wreak the most havoc. This is not to say that MRR’s stay relatively immobile, quite the opposite, they are constantly moving to achieve the best possible firing angle. They are an invaluable resource to any team, especially when coupled with other specialty classes. Their weakness is that they may be overpowered at longer or shorter ranges by more specialized soldiers.

Long-Range Rifleman (LRR): If you want a position held, LRR’s are the class to use. These are players who prefer to find a position and pop off their targets with accurate rifle fire. This class is less about movement and more about holding a strong point. This is not to say they are simply turrets, LRR’s are constantly on the lookout for superior positions. They are brilliant at holding objectives and supporting their teammates, I always try to include at least one on any team I pick. Their weakness is that they need other troops to help them slow the enemy, as fast moving units easily overwhelm them.

Recon: Recon players are stealth troops, getting close to the enemy before launching vicious flank and rear attacks, as well as setting traps for the advancing foe. They also play an important scout role, finding enemy positions and reporting the locations of hostile units. They are divided into two classes:

Assault Recon: These are the troops you never saw coming. The people who fall into this class have a keen eye for hidden troops and can accurately guess enemy movements. They move into positions you never thought possible, to assault you in directions you never considered. How many times have you been taken out by someone who suddenly appeared at your flank, just when your main force engaged the enemy? How many times have you been holding that objective when someone appeared out of nowhere and killed you all? You know the kind of player I’m talking about. Their mission is simple: Get in a good position, hide, and attack when it’s least expected. This is a great player to have on any team, but it is a very rare person who has the right qualities to pull it off. Their weakness is primarily their own skill; any mistake and they are taken out. A secondary weakness is a coordinated enemy, a smart enemy may allow no opportunity for the assault recon to attack. This is what I play when not in my commander role.

Stealth Recon: This is what you think when you hear “recon”. These are the troops who sneak ahead of the main force, and concern themselves with planting traps and finding out what the enemy is up to. When not active with these duties, they fight a guerilla war, slowing, confusing, and eliminating the enemy at every turn. The stealth recon’s weakness is saturated fire, any amount of large fire will take out these lonely soldiers.

Sniper: A billion topics have been written on being a sniper, the foremost of which is here. I’m 99% sure you are not a sniper, so forget it.

We can further separate these categories by additional combat types:

Regular: Balanced in many aspects, these players spend about an equal amount of time training for all scenarios. These are your average, flexible Airsoft players.

Fast Attack: These players are fast. They move fast, scramble over cover fast, and even fire fast. They are all about the mobile assault, taking firepower directly into the heart of the enemy. (Though not necessarily from the front.) They follow orders immediately and without question, for time is always of the essence. They are excellent for harassment tactics as well as quick decisive strikes and ambushes.

Suppression: These players keep people down, afraid to move while other forces move into position. Contrary to popular belief, suppressors do not saturate an area with fire. They pick their shots carefully, pegging anything exposed, until the enemy crawls inside the mentality of “exposure equals death.” Not as movement oriented as others, they fill the critical role of providing safe lanes of movement for teammates.

Marksman: These are medium to long range players who favor the slow advance, checking and clearing each area before proceeding. They move slowly but regularly, mowing down enemies like an advancing tank. They work best in groups, as that allows their advance to continue at a constant rate. They are excellent at setting up fire zones and attacking enemy positions. They also exceed at holding objectives.

Guerilla: Recon’s and Snipers usually fall into this role, which centers around fighting an invisible war. These players may go through whole games with out firing a shot, instead taking down foes with traps and misdirection, leading them into ambushes. Not a common role, and not especially useful in small games (E.G. 4V4) they are nonetheless a worthwhile teammate. These players know a little bit of information goes a long way, and they provide the team with status reports field wide. The trade off is that they are generally not as effective in straight up combat.

I probably forgot something, but that’s pretty close to complete. I’m a Commander-CQB-Fast Attack, or an Assault Recon-Fast Attack when command is not required of me. What are you guys?

I am mainly recon (I do both recon roles, but I could only pick one), but I also handle CQB if necessary because I can stay calm under large volumes of fire. As far as my playing style goes I am flexible (regular), but I also can play guerilla style because of my speed. I particularly enjoyed this poll and I can't wait to see what the majority of people are.

Guest Leon Kennedy

Okay, we've had about 3 of these polls running already. Why the hell did you make another? Mines been open almost a year now, theres others been around for a month or so. Seriously, STOP.

commander/fast attack

Guest Sir Biscuit
Okay, we've had about 3 of these polls running already. Why the hell did you make another? Mines been open almost a year now, theres others been around for a month or so. Seriously, STOP.

If you really think it’s a problem, PM a mod and ask for some of them to be closed. I posted this one because I thought it was, honestly, better. More choices too get an exact role.

I also asked if people would like to see this in a separate poll, here. Yet no one objected, certainly not you. You’ve earned my respect on this forum and I would have listened to your opinion, but not now, and not with the unreasonable tone you’ve taken. Am I deserving of a direct attack?

You want these polls to STOP. PM a mod and ask him to close this poll. If you really believe this is a problem and you proceed with the mods, go with the knowledge that you have my full support. This is every ones forum, and you are more active on it then I. Do what you think is the best for us all.

If not, leave me be, and do not take that tone with me again. The only mistake I have made is perhaps my overzealousness in pursuing this role list. Honestly, it took a lot of thinking and typing.

I am sorry if I have created a problem. Once again, I will support any course of action you take.

I play the many roles that could be said to fall in a "sniper's" category. I work as a DM, a spotter, and a scout/sniper. I am usually either attached to a recon unit or a standard squad. As far as tactics goes, it all depends on the situation and the task at hand.

Im cqb/ fast attack. Also, I try to keep stealthy at arsoft too.(My dad was shooting at a bunch of people and I made my way around and nailed them in the side of their masks, and I also try to move quietly yet fast most of the time.)

Oh, since ive got my p90 ive also been using suppression quite a bit, now that I can carry alot more ammo.(We held a few people p in a little rectangular area and I started firing at one guy even when he was behind coer and eventually he poppe out and I shot him in the head)

Edited by camoman

at the out door places I play at, I pick a place that I think the enemy will have to come through. then I sit and wait, and let them get real close. when they get close very close I unleash death on them, then I hightail it out of there before they can start to fight back.

I usually follow my team leader and cover him. And if we are advancing I go in front of him and take the brunt of the enemy fire for him.

Guest Storm774
Hello everyone, a few words before you look at the choices. There are too many combinations available to simply put into a poll, (60!) so they have been divided by role and combat type. The unfortunate drawback to this is that we cannot see the exact combinations. The other unfortunate drawback is that I’m allowed only two poll questions, so commander has been mixed with the other roles. Oh well. Please list your full role in a post after you vote, so we can have a better idea of what you are.

======SNIP=====

I probably forgot something, but that’s pretty close to complete. I’m a Commander-CQB-Fast Attack, or an Assault Recon-Fast Attack when command is not required of me. What are you guys?

The role I play is a combination of all you've mentioned... My partner too.. We're a two man Ranger team.

I'm fast assault/CQB guy. I'd like to be where the action is. Unfortunately, I never should've brought my Steyr AUG. Being CQB rewards you with alot of kills but I could've done better if I had a better suited gun for the role. Now I'm saving to buy a CQB weapon.

I'm very strange but the best choices I could come up with were assault and guerilla. I was trying to decide between fast attack and guerilla because I like to rush in and stuff but stay hidden. Almost marksman ish except when people get close enough I rush instead of stay back, take a shot, and move =)

Even though I am the "commander" of my team ,I have the sniper/recon role also. Without a spotter "by choice" I am by far the sneakiest of the team and have the most power in my rifle .I usually make the plans for the attack from behind enemy lines .

It has taken me a little time but the style of play I like the best is recon assault. There is a little bit of commander in me as well. If I am at a respawn point and there are several others waiting to get back in the battle I have formed impromptu fire teams that I lead through the woods from an unexpected direction. Sometimes to devestating effect on the enemy and sometimes on my fire team. A lot of fun either way. A lot of adrenilin (sp?).

My role is quite mixed, a lot of times it depends on the situation. I'm always in charge though, no matter whether I'm an MRR-suppression guy or assault recon my teams listens to my command. We played with just about everybody as our commander, but since we play on my hunting grounds I know the turf and can navigate guys the best. Sometimes I sit back and guard the choke points and keep the enemy where I want them while my team radios enemy positions back to me and I move them around accordingly, but other times if I'm down several guys (we play that once you're hit you radio that you're hit but you can't call out enemy positions, you just have to lay down where you were hit) I'll move forward into a position where I can recon for myself and usually run an ambush manuever. The nice thing is that from hunting I learned how to very quiet so I'm a hard target even for snipers if I'm on recon.

Hmm... I went with commander first b/c I tend to take control when my one team member isn't around (he's not around a lot b/c he's in the naval academy), but when he's around I tend to share the squad leader role (act as co-op leaders) or just let him run the show. He knows things I often don't even think of.

Second style, even though I find it to be "dirty" when it's used against me, I never mind using guerilla tactics. Otherwise, a tactic I often employ with my team is to play defensive myself and keep someone pinned down behind a tree or rock pile or something while I allow one or two others to flank from sides or from behind depending on where the enemy is at on the field. Basically, I have better range than most anybody on my team, so I keep the enemy behind cover while he often can't reach me and allow my team to close in on him and surround him.

Stealth Recon and Guerrilla. I am a squad leader in the army, IRL, so I also lead our three man recon patrol in games. We mostly do all kinds of sick trips to enemy flanks or rear, observe and radio our intel forward to the team leader. we also take prisoners if the game rules allow us to. In rare cases we do little hit and run assaults against "soft" targets, like lonely players... I love my style to play, even though it is way too much running around in wet forest or lying flat in a marsh.

Stealth Recon

Guerrilla

I am a bit too impatient to call myself a sniper. But I am as quiet as possible and really good at not being seen. Normally I run way ahead of everyone else, find a good place to wait, then start taking people out from the middle so its not completely obvious which direction the shot came from. I padded the end of my piston on my m324 quite a bit so that it can barely be heard from 20ft away. I use black pellets so I don't have to worry about them being seen by anyone who's not expecting it. And I relay info to whichever one of my friends happens to be on my team that round with the walkie-talkies I just found in my closet a few months ago ^_^

Edited by Jackel12

I think you should have put an option called "Flank 'n Spank". I just get on a small group's side or rear and light them up, but im sure to get a couple others to take better advantage of the flanking. I'm mostly an assault/recon- Guerilla, because I sneak around and radio in positions to get them surrounded, then bag em.