to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
drewish1991

How Cold Is To Cold?

Guest MrToad823

on januray, 21-07 I played in temps from about 15-25 degreesF. it was really cold but we got used to it. there was just 1 MAJOR problem. everyones batteries died within 30min and they were charged full. my friend put his gun in his house for 10 min and then shot it and it worked perfect, but it did not work in the cold. and everyone had high-end guns.

Guest sktairsof7

Spring- Nothing really internally affected, exept if its really cold (below freezing), then it could make certain bulild materials.

Gas- Guns are non effective. Low temp= gas screwing up.

Electric- Nothing battery effected ( I think) but all the metal gets weaker. Gearboxes can crack, causing huge problems.

Edit- Ah mr toad you beat me 2 it. Really battieries are effected by cold?

Edited by sktairsof7

Guest JerryAgent

I have played in weather around freezing temp, I encountered no problems. Just make sure you have gloves. Getting shot in the fingernail when its cold is one of the most painful things to happen to you.

Cold molecularly slows down the vibration of molecules within metals. Metals, obviousely with metallic bonds, are like a sandwich of electrons between protons. According to Louis deBroglie, even mechboxes with metallic bonds have wavelength-like patterns of movement. So, cold weather should take away the moelcular movement and lengthen the wavelengths. Everyone knows heat is not temperature; it's the transfer of energy from one matter to another, so the loss of heat from the gearbox to the colder air would take away the moleular vibration, therefore making the metallic bonds more "solid," or in layman's terms: brittle. Now, that only would apply in something like -10 degrees Celcius, so I've just pontificated for nothing.

Also, cadmium, element #48, is a metal, and in its ionized state, is 2+ charged. That's why it's used for batteries because it is cheap and can release two electrons. Something like gallium, #31 is +3 charged, but is more expensive. So, returning to the definition of heat, the loss of molecular movement (deBroglie) would slow down the molecules. The ionization energy and electronegativity of cadmium and nickel would decrease, so really, you aren't losing charge and draining the battery faster in cold air, but the elements simply "refuse" to give up their electrons in colder temperatures; in other words, the electron affinity decreases. That was a little more useful than the previous paragraph.

Same thing with greases, and white lithium grease. It's petroleum based, an oil, and oils can gel up in cold weather. Atomized greases can resist cold weather, but they work better in warm weather. White lithium grease gets hard because it is oil based. Fill a jar up with canola oil and stick it in the fridge for a day or outside in winter; it gets a bit thick. Same with greases; the molecules slow down and it changes to a hgel rather than a grease.

My 2 cents; my standard for these "cold" topics.

Edited by New Guy on the Block

Okay I played in about 5-10 degree farenheit wheather. The things to think about:

1) You won't get a gas gun working and if you do it'll be terrible.

2) Your battery will not last as long.

3) Don't unload or semi auto (Use short bursts) it will make you battery last longer.

4) Once again don't unload because your gearbox is more brittle and have a higher chance of cracking.

a guns effectiveness in cold temperatures is affected by what type of gun you've got.

Obviously, gas guns are alot less effective in colder weather because the gas inside the magazine is too cold to expand and therefore to weak to fire the gun. AEG's have their problems also. Your gearbox should be fine as long as you aren't playing in temperatures below 0. When the temperature drops to below freezing however, your gun's battery life will be cut very short (eg. a 1200 mah battery might only last 300 shots)

spring guns, are ok depending on the make. Cheap spring guns made out of ABS plastic are prone to cracking because the plastic gets very weak very quickly in the cold.

These are all just based on my observations. Other people might have had different luck.

Edited for spelling

Edited by assaultmonkey

Okay I played in about 5-10 degree farenheit wheather. The things to think about:

1) You won't get a gas gun working and if you do it'll be terrible.

2) Your battery will not last as long.

3) Don't unload or semi auto (Use short bursts) it will make you battery last longer.

4) Once again don't unload because your gearbox is more brittle and have a higher chance of cracking.

Pimp has the idea. Leave the gas guns at home. Bring extra batteries. Short controled bursts from those Ver2 gearboxes, they like to crack right near the top by the cylinder. I believe these tips are good for anytime where is is below 32F degrees. Better to be safe than sorry. Pray for peace, prepare for war. So on and so forth.

Guest Specter4216

Place a Hot Hand Packet into the stock of your gun next to your battery that will keep it from losing power, But I am not fully 100% that it will work I just thought of it haha.

:a-famerican:

I've tried to keep my gas mags in my pocket instead of my rig when it is cold out. They still seem to crap out after a few shots.

They heating element in the stock makes me think that you could wrap a electric heated sock around your battery to keep it warm. Ghetto improv on the battlefield, whether it be in your stock or foregrip.

I've tried to keep my gas mags in my pocket instead of my rig when it is cold out. They still seem to crap out after a few shots.

They heating element in the stock makes me think that you could wrap a electric heated sock around your battery to keep it warm. Ghetto improv on the battlefield, whether it be in your stock or foregrip.

but don't those sock warmers run on batteries?

anyway so to help answer my original question im thinking 20 degrees and up is generally safe to play assuming the gun isn't to heavily upgraded?

For VSR series users, as well as other sniper rifles, I have seen thermal sleeves for .22 hunting rifles, so you might want to check those out. For AEG users, place thermal hand warmers on your gun, then wrap it in a long strip of cloth.

Guest wiljoebob808
anyway so to help answer my original question im thinking 20 degrees and up is generally safe to play assuming the gun isn't to heavily upgraded?

Yes, but your parts will wear faster. And, your gun is pretty upgraded... An M120 isn't a small upgrade.

Yea your batterys will probobly be the weakest part of your gun in the cold. Me and my friends were playing last night, and all of our batteries died within 20 mins. Im trying to figure out ways to keep them warm inside the gun.

Oh and when I was playing when peoples batteries ran out they would just stick their hand warmer in their foregrip and it would last a little longer. As for people with batteries in their stock (like me) I don't know if there is enough space to fit one.