Sign in to follow this  
Doc

CQB Hallway And Formation Tactics

First, a little about me so you know where I am coming from.

I am 23 years old, Certified EMT-Basic, Firefighter, and Trained SWAT Medic.

I currently have 60+ hours in Tactical SWAT Medicine Training. I have attended Multiple classes dealing with SWAT and CQB.

I am drawing up this guide for you, to take as you see fit.

This is not a "how you have to do it" guide. It is simply how I was trained and what I was taught, and what works for us. Take it how you want it, and feel free to ask questions or add your input.

First of all, remember, CQB is Close Quarters. It is very fast and high stress. If you stop.... you die. Period.

I am going to start off by just going over some of the basics, with basic illustrations. You have to crawl before you can walk.

The Fatal funnel is referred to as the area just inside the door, that you must get clear of ASAP!!

Use of the double Penetration method gives the operators the split second advantage over the offender.

funnel.jpg

Imagine you are the offender, in a room, holding a shotgun and waiting for someone to come in. All of a sudden the door flies open, and 2 heavily armed officers rush in and sweep around you. You will be stunned, and if you do happen to get a round off, mostly likely you will miss.

This is what keeps us alive and healthy.

I will add more to this, if this becomes popular.

I apologize for these illustrations, they were done with MS paint while I am here at work.

Next up, is the Description of the Double Deep Penetration

Once you make your entry, you will proceed to the back wall, making sure you check the corners, behind the door, anywhere an enemy may be lurking. Your primary goal is to make it to the back of the room. While you are clearing and you reach the back wall, make you a quick turn around, making sure NOT to muzzle your partner and check the opposite wall... remember, when making entry, GET CLEAR OF THE FUNNEL!!!!!!!!!! Move fast, and don't sweep with your weapon, keep it trained forward, and use your head to sweep side to side.

entry1.jpg

Here are the basics of clearing a Large Building. This just covers one hall.

hallway.jpg

Once the team reaches the end, you will send either a left or right side up, to secure the door at the end of the hallway, then you reform your stack, and make your exit from the hall.

Hallway Tactics.

intersec.jpg

Again, this is just something to base your skills off of.

Edited by Sir Biscuit
  • Upvote 2

Question:

What do you physically do to be in a "stack". I know that it's a line of people ready to head in a door/hallway/etc, but is there some certain special position you have to be in? Or do you just basically stand there

Question:

What do you physically do to be in a "stack". I know that it's a line of people ready to head in a door/hallway/etc, but is there some certain special position you have to be in? Or do you just basically stand there

when you are in a stack if can be a line but you don't just stand there in a line, everyone has a job to do, I.e. pulling security. trail guy has rear security while the guys in the middle have security to the sides they are looking for every possible threat. but being that you are paying attention to threats near by, you have to multitask and payattention when you are going to enter the room. you don't want a man entering a room by himself.

thanks that is indeed good stuff,

it will help me in the abandon radar base later this summer

also can you pm me with more info if possable.

thanks

-Rykardo

In a stack what types of units should be in order starting from the point man? like rifleman, support, shotgun?

Rule of thumb, support usually has the rear. If someone gets up behind you, the point is to get as many bullets downrange is as quick a time as possible while your team takes up positions. Shotty usually takes point, or breacher, if you have the rounds, which is usually the third guy in a team of four. It's really a matter of unit SOP or just where you end up on the move.

The Ranger Handbook

Adobe Acrobat file...

Edited by Avandir

Question regarding the double penetration:

What if you have multiple offenders in the room and not just one?

I'd say you are screwed.

Fanning out into the separate directions by the fire team makes a quick surround of the room, disabling any other defenders through the same shock and force that enabled you to surprise the single man trying to defend the fatal funnel(tunnel). Theoretically anyway. There are always scenarios of victory and failure for both sides.

That's also why the good lord gave us flash bangs.

all of the stuff I've done is real steel goofing around at ranges with killhouses in utah- so I don't have any kind of legit experience outside of that and a pile of youtube videos.

BUT! when two frogmen kick a door, the first guy through has a sector- he's looking from his right shoulder to the back wall-

---he is never looking left---

the second guy is moving directly forward out of the 'funnel' (we just call 'em doorways in the dirtbag civilian world) and covering his left shoulder and all the way in to meet the field of fire of his buddy-

it takes a whole bakery of trust because righty might go into a room with one promqueen on the left and nothing but a refrigerator in his quadrant- and it's going to be lefty's job to tag the queen before she gets either of them- but if righty gooes in and tags her, then lefty barges in and they both get waxed by indiana jones as he climbs out of the ice box. plus, if your team mate steps in ahead of you and covers your section, he's standing between you and the open section, obstructing that LOF. so when you're first through you have two big jobs-

1) get the heck out of the doorway

2) cover your sector and communicate

but the number two man has three jobs.

1) get the heck out of the door way

2) cover your sector and communicate

3) do it fast before #1 gets hit.

but yeah, large room entry is a historical nightmare- most operators die against doorframes.

:quote: that's also why the good lord gave us flashbangs :/quote:

^I love this.

Well...

Since Vic un-necroposted this, I thought I might add my .02 cents. I've done this for a living. The ugly fact is, the Bad Guy only (typically) has one place they need to focus - that door. The entry team has to focus any place in the room that a Bad Guy might fit, AND then if they find someone, determine if that person is just a person, or a Bad Guy.

So, to put it mildly, first person in runs the highest risk of becoming a pink mist. No real way around it. You can pop a window, or toss in a couple of diversion devices, but all a Bad Guy has to do is point at the door and lay on the trigger when it starts moving.

Kind of an old post hope no one minds me adding my two cents. I'm a combat engineer in a sapper company so my primary job is breaching within an infantry squad. Before I say to much I'm going off of training alone I have never deployed and done this for real.

The point man in a stack on the door is usually the man with the most experience because he has .5 seconds to decide whether all four men go into the room or just two. While hes making that split second decision he also has to focus on the room, he will always take the path of least resistance, as stated earlier that's usually the way he's facing. the second man should be literally on top of him with his weapon getting in the room the same time as the point man and going the opposite direction. 3rd and fourth man in the room again go opposite directions of the person in front of them fourth man immediately takes up rear security after the shooting stops.

'

This is not something you can grab those two dudes over there and explain quick then execute it perfectly. without people shooting back at us and using nothing but blanks and dummy targets in the open it takes days (the "s" means many) of constant training with the same guys rotating through all positions in the stack to just become mediocre at this. By the way, yes the point man is probably dead unless you have a way to concuss the enemy before entering be it demolition or some form of grenade.

I learned all of the above in SWAT school many, many years ago. I perform about 250 house clearings per year as part of my duties. I have moved to a Limited Penetration entry instead of the flood. One of the main reasons is that it is usually only 2 of us, and many times I am clearing at least part of the house alone.

It is more "slicing the pie" and clearing the room from the hallway than running headlong into the aforementioned (Shawn1Actual) bad guy hosing the door way.

Not saying you are wrong by any means. We're talking about two entirely different worlds here. Assuming SWAT teams still have the over all objective of arrest before eliminate its the opposite of myself where if we know the bad guy is there we're trained to shoot first ask questions later.

Needless to say I surrender to your real world experience. I have yet to apply any of my training.

For those that would like a brief video lesson in limited penetration entry

Edited by jamesnater

This video is actually pretty close to what we were taught in paintball 10+ years ago (for the "really close up" stuff). But the difference was, most paintball games were simple elimination, so it did come down to percentages and geometry. Airsoft is a completely different game, at least around here, most games have respawn, and hence some objective other than simple elimination.

Also any of these 'tactics' can be countered, if you know they are coming. So it's important to be unpredictable... for example, despite his experience, I doubt the shooter in Dallas expected to facing a bomb disposal robot armed with an explosive.

Ugh... somebody please get that guy some rubber ducks. I know they brass check the weapons but that flagging is unnerving as hell. Rule #1 is always treat a firearms as if it were loaded. No exceptions. None. Never. OK, maybe if there's a chamber flag. But they're not using them. Not in any of their videos. And before someone says, "But he was in the IDF!" when they train with real weapons and no bullets, the IDF uses a blaze orange plastic stick that goes the full length of the barrel, blocking a round from being chambered. They probably didn't do that when this guy was in, but they do it now. I'll give you three guesses why, but you should only need one.