Sign in to follow this  
tmfreak

Tightbores In A Nutshell

Tightbores?! Whats that?

A tightbore is an upgrade from the stock inner barrel.

Their inner diameter is much much smaller which doesnt allow the bb to bounce around alot as in stock inner barrels which give the shooter tighter grouping at various ranges.

A stock inner barrel diameter (or ID) would be considered a 6.08 mm width. A little bigger than the bb. If your barrel was too tight, you would get jams very frequently.

So how does a tightbore help?

Tightbores are made with a smaller barrel ID which puts a smaller squeeze between the barrel and the bb itself. This allows the bb to travel down the barrel in a more efficient manner and also improves your groupings, You may also get a small f.p.s. increase due to the smaller space which doesnt let at as much air go past the bb while it is traveling down the barrel.

Whats so bad about getting a 6.03?

They might just be too tight. More of the higher grade bbs may stop jams but if you use cheap ammo, you will have jams every other shot.

Tightbores also need freuqent cleaning because of their higher tolerances. A piece of dirt in a stock barrel wont affect bb flight as much as in a tightbore, where it may jam or damage your barrel over time.

There are also special "twisted" or "rifled" barrels made. The twisting is much like that of real firearms but doesnt serve the same prupose as it does in airsoft. The tiwsting actually routes the air around the bb for a more stable flight than putting one big ball of air behind the bb itself. These barrel can be more expensive but will give your gun a much needed upgrade.

Whats so bad about getting a 6.03?

They might just be too tight. More of the higher grade bbs may stop jams but if you use cheap ammo, you will have jams every other shot.

Tightbores also need freuqent cleaning because of their higher tolerances. A piece of dirt in a stock barrel wont affect bb flight as much as in a tightbore, where it may jam or damage your barrel over time.

I would have to disagree with this. BB's are generally about 5.98mm (depending on brand) and a 6.03 barrel is really about the average bore people get. There are barrels that are 6.01 that don't jam as long as you keep it clean. Really any peice of dirt that got into your barrel will most likely be bigger than .05mm so if that does happen it will jam either way.

So that I was trying to say but got on a bit of a rant is that 6.03 isn't very tight compared to stuff people can easily buy. Also that 6.03 bore shouldn't be a concern. But good job on the rest of the article.

If it was edited for more information, id recommend a pin.

maybe have links to/record some groupings changes with tightbores, a list of the different manufactureres with their ups and downs, and an installation guide and I think it would warrant a pin.

Another aspect of tighbores that needs to be addressed is the variety of materials that different brands are made from. For example KM barrels are Nickle plated with a teflon coating. Some brands are stainless steel, some are a brass alloy. And this causes some brands to have a longer break-in period than others. Some are stronger than others, some bend easier than others. All of these factors could determine the right tightbore.

Good grief people, how many times do I have to say it? 6.01 (Dees in particular) have NO JAMMING ISSUES. If you use cheap BBs in your $300+ weapon, why should you expect anything other than poor performance?

Exactly. I've used a Prometheus 6.03 in my MP5 for months now without a single problem...I've put Excel and TSDtactical BB's through it with no problems at all.

I was running a KM barrel in my MP5 with no problems and now have a Dees 6.01 in there and with this build its very smooth with no jamming and actual accuracy over the KM. Thanks again Dwayne for an excellent barrel and Im running it with a M150 setup doing right around 500fps. I use TM,KSC and PHX bbs and at 20ft this MP5 will rip a huge hole right through the side of a spray paint can.

Ah, you guys have a very good point. SAdly though, I cannot edit the post.. :a-blushing:

There is some time limit, IIRC a day and a half or so, where you can edit a post. Work on it in a word document and post that to get feedback.