Ochronic

G&g M14 Takedown/gearbox Takedown!

Hi, Well this guide was mainly made for the guy who's buying my SOCOM16 and I had a lot of trouble the first time I took it apart, seeing as there are no other takedown guides for the G&G m14 series, so I decided to make it open to the public, so people won't have to go through the same trouble I had to.

There are a lot of rumors around that the G&G guns are not reliable and will crap out on you really fast, and etc. Well, there is some truth to these claims, but overall I've been relatively satisfied with my purchase. The only things really need replaced are the piston, and the bushings, (I have CA oiless bushings and a guarder piston).

Well, now to the takedown:

Here are the tools you need to take this gun apart:

-1 phillips screwdriver large

-1 phillips screwdriver small

-1 set of allen renches

-tube of lubricant

-1 set of tweesers

DSC01030.jpg

tools.

DSC01032.jpg

Heres a pic of the gun before takedown.

DSC01033.jpg

First, begin by removing the trigger unit from the gearbox/stock, pull the trigger guard out, and then lift the unit out.

DSC01034.jpg

Now you can slide the receiver/gearbox out of the stock. Simply lift it out of the stock, paying careful attention to the motor and wires at the rear.

DSC01035.jpg

Next, unlatch the selector switch lever from the selector switch, and set aside.

DSC01036.jpg

Now, carefully recoil the spring and rod back, remove and set aside.

DSC01038.jpg

Next, remove the bolt, simply slide out from the rings attached to the barrel, and set aside.

DSC01039.jpg

Almost to the gearbox! okay, remove the two small screws shown here that hold the receiver on the gearbox.

DSC01040.jpg

Now, turn the gun over, and push out the small pin shown in the pic out from this latch, set aside the spring, and unscrew the screw. (its that little latch laying on the reciever with the little spring sitting on top of it).

DSC01041.jpg

Remove these two screws that hold the barrel and hop up unit onto the receiver.

DSC01042.jpg

Pull the barrel/front section out from the receiver very carefully.

DSC01043.jpg

Now, with all the screws, and front section removed, you can slide off the receiver.

DSC01044.jpg

Slide off the top receiver cover.

DSC01045.jpg

Remove the screws from the gray matte colored piece of metal that holds the motor on.

DSC01046.jpg

It should now look like this, this parts a little frustrating, you have to work the motor off carefully, (I usually put a flathead screwdriver in to carefully pry it off on each side of the gearbox.

DSC01047.jpg

Here’s what it should look like when the motor is off.

DSC01048.jpg

Okay, now take off the various Allen wrench screws on the gearbox. (Any other type of screws, just leave em alone).

DSC01049.jpg

And now, I usually put a flathead screwdriver connected to the spring guide on the side of the gearbox to hold it in place, and then just slowly and carefully take off the gearbox cover, and voila there you are.

I would also like to add that when you are putting the gearbox back together, and wanting to test fire the gun before going through all the steps just to get the trigger back on, there’s a gray sliding thingamajigger (basically the trigger) and all you have to do is slide it forward to test fire.

I hope this guide was helpful in someway, I realize I’m not the best at giving directions, but at least there are pictures guiding you through the process. And it still’s better than having no guides on taking it apart like there where prior to this one.

Edited by Ochronic

Nice. I just orered a G&G M14 actualy. This'll definately come in handy. I'm a little alarmed at how little material actualy holds on the outer barrel though. It looks like it's just a 1/4'' peice of metal that gets screwed into the receiver, dosen't seem very solid for a gun thats over a meter long...

Nice. I just orered a G&G M14 actualy. This'll definately come in handy. I'm a little alarmed at how little material actualy holds on the outer barrel though. It looks like it's just a 1/4'' peice of metal that gets screwed into the receiver, dosen't seem very solid for a gun thats over a meter long...

Nothing to worry about with this gun externally, its built very strong, very solid, so don't worry about it mang.

Aww the bad memories of the alien shaped gearbox. I remeber doing that a couple of times I hate putting that bolt cover thing back on was a pain. Thats a good guide and it has everything you need to know on taking apart the gearbox, Could you add the hopup chamber dissasembly?

Aww the bad memories of the alien shaped gearbox. I remeber doing that a couple of times I hate putting that bolt cover thing back on was a pain. Thats a good guide and it has everything you need to know on taking apart the gearbox, Could you add the hopup chamber dissasembly?

My appologies, but it has already been packed up and put in my truck to be shipped tomorrow to the person who bought it, I haven't touched the hopup, and this guide was really focousing on the main points of stripping it and getting to the gearbox.

My appologies, but it has already been packed up and put in my truck to be shipped tomorrow to the person who bought it, I haven't touched the hopup, and this guide was really focousing on the main points of stripping it and getting to the gearbox.

Becuase I know its not as easy as some others, I have taken it apart before on mine and its was confusing at first but I think that if it needed to be done someone else could post it this topic should be pinned.

I would also like to add that if anyone has any questions concerining the dissasembly, or reasembly, or even the placement of the internals in the gearbox to just PM me, I will gladly help you.

Guest McHitman

O My GAWD!!! thank you so much. this is exatcly wyhat I've been looking for. *edit* oops, didn't see the gearbox part. once again, thanks a whole heckuva ton. do you think this same method works with the AGM version? also, how did you get the trigger gaurd off?

Edited by McHitman

O My GAWD!!! thank you so much. this is exatcly wyhat I've been looking for. *edit* oops, didn't see the gearbox part. once again, thanks a whole heckuva ton. do you think this same method works with the AGM version? also, how did you get the trigger gaurd off?

your very welcome!

I'm not sure about the other brands sorry, But how you get the trigger unit off is by pulling the trigger guard out from the stock, out of its little notch and it should just come off altogether.

Edited by Ochronic

Guest McHitman

Ok, thanks. woohoo, time to upgrade my M14 now that I know how! 450 FPS here I come!

Hey, On picture 5 from the top going down. That piece of metal that connects to the charging handel ? The rod that connects to the firing selector... Is there a spring behind that ?

yes its hard to explain, but theres a tiny spring that is on this little thing stickin out on the otherside of that view of the rod.

Guest Cam Keo

I.......love......you.

Seriously, thanks alot!

I can try my own upgrades now ;D

hehe no problem your welcome..

if its been so helpful to these people, im suprised it hasnt been pinned yet, I mean I realize the directions aren't the best, but atleast people can follow the pictures, which arent too bad. and it is really the only G&G m14 take down that I know of..but whatever

Sorry for doing this, but it won't let me edit it, I edited the pics so you can more easily see what I'm describing in the captions, I will redo my first post, with the new pics, if this is wrong, you can make it so this post doesn't count, Idc I'm just tryin to make this easier for people to understand.

m141.jpg

m142.jpg

m143.jpg

m144.jpg

m145.jpg

m146.jpg

m147.jpg

m148.jpg

m149.jpg

m1410.jpg

m1411.jpg

m1412.jpg

last 2 cuz it wouldnt fit (exceded pic posting limit)

my friend bought a g&g m14 a while ago, and it didn't work upon arrival. basically he was too lazy to send a $400 gun back (idk wtf he was thinking) but I ended up taking apart the gearbox because it was past warranty. the reason it didn't work was because the connectors had been reversed on the motor when it was assembled and the motor was trying to work against the anti-reverse lever. don't they usually test these things before they sell a gun? I wouldn't recommend g&g

my friend bought a g&g m14 a while ago, and it didn't work upon arrival. basically he was too lazy to send a $400 gun back (idk wtf he was thinking) but I ended up taking apart the gearbox because it was past warranty. the reason it didn't work was because the connectors had been reversed on the motor when it was assembled and the motor was trying to work against the anti-reverse lever. don't they usually test these things before they sell a gun? I wouldn't recommend g&g

Revival of a dead thread...but whatever. Looks like your buddy got a bad seed. That doesn't mean every M14 is dysfunctional....

hey I can't get the bolt catch thing out, and I cannot get the bolt out either, it won't go out. I am just wondering if you can give me a little more detail on how to get the bolt catch out and I am wondering if it is completly nessisary to get the bolt out.

FORGET IT I see the revised version of your guide.

Edited by Matt22

Hey there,

I have a UTG M14 and plan on doing a few upgrades of my own-- but there really aren't that many guides for it. Would this guide be similar at all, or will they be completely different? Thanks for your help!

Hunter

The UTG use a Marui style gearbox which is fundementally different from the G&G and CA gearboxes. I suggest finding a guide for the Marui ver.7 gearbox.

Sorry for necroposting!

Edited by M21sniper rifle

Dang, that's one heck of a guide you got there!

I've got an M14 (loooves it!!!) and I was gonna buy a new spring for it n' what not. To be honest, I'm scared to take it apart now. Lol. Good job, though. One of the better guides I've seen before.

Does the Cyma M14 take down the same, or no? I'm installing a new spring next week (when it gets here), and I'm planning on using this beast of a guide.

Oh, and does anyone know a guide where they show you how to put your gun back together?

That's the only thing I'd have slight trouble with, is reading this all backwards.

Edited by Fatboy

Guest OpSic66
Does the Cyma M14 take down the same, or no? I'm installing a new spring next week (when it gets here), and I'm planning on using this beast of a guide.

Oh, and does anyone know a guide where they show you how to put your gun back together?

That's the only thing I'd have slight trouble with, is reading this all backwards.

No it does not.

Teardown of the gun is Similar. Same thing with the trigger assembly. Pull the trigger guard down, and rearward at the same time. It'll swing open. Then pull straight down from the stock.

There may or may not be a set screw in the front gas block assembly that you will need to loosen so it will slide away from the stock. The bolt and barrel assembly will need to slide forward and upward to dislodge from the stock.

Teardown the of bolt and barrel assembly is pretty straight forward with similar hidden screws like the CA / G&G. With a screw hidden behind the bolt catch.

If you need, I can tear mine down quickly and upload pictures to my gearbox thread.

This thread is of a AGM M14 gearbox. (Which is a TM Clone of the M14, and much closer the the Cyma).

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/index.php?showtopic=108175

Edited by OpSic66

I would also like to add that if anyone has any questions concerining the dissasembly, or reasembly, or even the placement of the internals in the gearbox to just PM me, I will gladly help you.

I REALLY NEED HELP IN ASSEMBLING MY G&G M14!!!!! when I opened the gear box the pieces shot out and I don't know how to put them back together, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

hey I can't get the bolt catch thing out, and I cannot get the bolt out either, it won't go out. I am just wondering if you can give me a little more detail on how to get the bolt catch out and I am wondering if it is completly nessisary to get the bolt out.

FORGET IT I see the revised version of your guide.

matt, I had the same problem with my AGM m14...u have to use a small allen wrench and remove a screw that is inside the bold. it is located on the top of the bolt right beside where you would put your finger to pull the bolt back. mine was very hard to get loose at first but it will come loose. I hope this was helpful to you. I fyou need a pic just send me a message and il be happy to provide one

Guest OpSic66

For the CA and G&G a hopup guide would be redundant. it's the same hopup as an AUG.

Either way, once you seperate the lower reciever well from the upper, the entire barrel assembly is removable. Then it's only a clip holding the barrel and bucking into the hopup chamber.

Do the guns actually come with a field stripping guide to take the whole thing apart?

No, but you shouldn't need one because of this guide. :a-thumbsup:

And just a warning to anyone looking to open up their M14, the mechbox is not very easy to put back together, especially with a bigger spring. The spring like to push the piston/cylinder/cylinder head/tappet plate out of the mechbox, and you have to hold in the feeding nozzle at the same time, which falls out if you don't hold it, and the anti reversal latch is incredibly annoying and falls apart if you don't pay attention not to bump it.

Guest OpSic66
No, but you shouldn't need one because of this guide. :a-thumbsup:

And just a warning to anyone looking to open up their M14, the mechbox is not very easy to put back together, especially with a bigger spring. The spring like to push the piston/cylinder/cylinder head/tappet plate out of the mechbox, and you have to hold in the feeding nozzle at the same time, which falls out if you don't hold it, and the anti reversal latch is incredibly annoying and falls apart if you don't pay attention not to bump it.

A little bit of grease on the feed nozzle, along with positioning it's spring just right, Solves that problem. As for the main spring, Strong Fingers.