Sign in to follow this  
cardz

Pros And Cons Of The Acu?

So, after browsing around here for a while I can see that digital camouflage is very popular. That doesn't surprise me since many armed forces around the world are using it, including the US military. I have a full ACU uniform including trousers, coat, patrol cap, boonie hat, desert boots, a PASGT helmet cover, and a MOLLE vest. I even have some of that Camo Form stuff in ACU camo. The US Army's ACU uniform was obviously designed with some consideration of soldier comfort. The built in knee and elbow pads on the trousers and coat are great, even with the simple, one size fits all foam pads I have. The velcro cuffs and collar on the ACU coat are easy to adjust and look snazzy, too. If I had to wear an ACU uniform every day I wouldn't complain. Its actually quite comfortable to work and lounge around in.

One thing that bothers me a little about the ACU is the color of the digital camouflage itself. Its been said many places that the "universal" ARPAT camouflage isn't really that good especially in woodland environments where it is too light. And, it is only marginally good in urban and desert/dusty environments where it is currently being used the most. Even though there is criticism I highly doubt the US Army is going to change their uniform any time soon. And, while I personally like the colors of the ACU I wonder if the ARPAT camo scheme is really more of a hindrance than a help in actual or simulated combat.

So, for the record I think the physical design of the ACU is great. It is functional and comfortable. The hook and loop patch system has some disadvantages for actual soldiers in the field but its a neat way to make the uniform more universal and easy to modify. It seems the catch phrase for the military these days is "modular" since both their uniforms and their weapons (M-16 weapon system) are easy to modify and customize for different roles. In that regard, and because I like the subdued gray and tan colors, I really like the ACU.

And yet, I am also considering getting a new ACU based on a different digital camo scheme like woodland MARPAT. The environment where I would most likely play Airsoft probably doesn't conceal ARPAT very well. Its too light, which is the common criticism of the ARPAT color scheme in general. Since its the physical design of the ACU that I really like the most, I don't have a problem getting a different color camouglage even if it isn't digital.

What are your thoughts on the ACU?

-Matt C.-

most people hate it, I really like it. I think it's effective for most of the environments the united states military finds itself in in this day and age - and with the bits and pieces of a proper loadout + indeginous mud, it breaks up your sillouette nicely.

I have no problem with it.

Guest supportfire92

well ACU....hm.....

from soldiers I have talked to it's WAY better than the DCU's mainly because it's lightweight......

as far as the pattern goes...well....it's NOT the UNIVERSAL pattern the Army was looking for.....but considering that at least 50% of the combat in Iraq is close quarters and camouflage is rarely used.....it blends with houses and dirt and stuff

I am closing this because a search was obviously not done here.

Click here for an excellent topic Masamune started that is the proper place for this discussion. Please click here to see why the topic is being closed.