Sign in to follow this  
cardz

Real Steel Ar-15 Acessories

So I got my new CA M15A4 last week and I'm already chomping at the bit to upgrade and modify it. I know there is a huge segment of the firearms industry that is devoted solely to producing acessories for America's favorite black rifle, the AR-15/M-16 and its multiple variants. Likewise, there seems to be a buttload of acessories for this style of Airsoft gun, as well. I'm wondering how many of the real steel AR-15 accessories like rails, lights, buttstocks, etc. will fit on an AR-15 style Airsoft replica. I know parts for a real firearm are usually more expensive than the ones made for Airsoft guns. I also realize that there are a lot of parts that simply won't fit on an Airsoft gun due to the way they work. For instance, you cannot replace the hand grip on my CA M15A4 with anything but a OEM part because that's where the electric motor is. So, trying to replace the hand grip with a real AR-15 hand grip could not happen because the real AR-15 has a plastic hand grip that is not built to hold an electric motor and its wiring. The two guns may be identically scaled, but they are built completely different.

That said, I know the buttstocks, hand guards, slings, and many of the "tactical" accessories like rails, lights, lasers, and scopes will probably fit on both a real steel AR-15 and its Airsoft replica as long as the replica is truly built to the specific scale of the real weapon. I would like to get a few upgrades for my CA M15A4 that are not made by any Airsoft manufacturer like tritium sights, a collapsible buttstock with a rubber recoil pad (to prevent slippage not recoil), and single rail for my hand guard. I would even like to be able to replace the CA hand guards with something like a Fobus handguard set but I'm iffy on that because I don't know how much room they would leave for the battery and wiring or if they would even fit right at all. Basically, I want to upgrade my Airsoft gun more like a real steel firearm to improve its ease of use and effectiveness in simulated combat.

Does any of what I want to do sound like it would work? Can you replace some Airsoft replica parts with some real steel AR-15 parts? If so, which ones would be the most likely to work?

Thanks,

-Matt C.-

Edited by cardz

Guest wingsfan23

I was about to order a rail that bolts onto the hand guard a while ago. Cheaperthandirt did measurements for me, and I wasn't very confident that real steel ones would fit. They bolt in different places I believe.

As long as the airsoft replica has a decent weaver/picatinny then you can pretty much mount any accessory, vertical foregrips, bi-pods, optics, you name it that is compatible with a rail system.

As for stocks, I recall that we attempted to but my buddy's Bushmaster equivalent LE stock on my TM M4, and tried putting my LE stock on his real-steel 16" AR. I can't remember which one fit. But whenever I get to go over and do some real-steel shooting I'll try to remember to compare them. He also has a customized 20" M16A4 clone, but I don't think that would work, as the buffer tube in this case is in the stock. I may be wrong about its compatiability but I suspect that because the buffer tube is there you couldn't store a large battery without some work evolved...I could check but then again I'm cut short with time with: classes and work related projects.

I don't recall the website, but I believe it was some Hong Kong based airsoft retailer sells a modified M4 that had multiple real-steel parts. In my opinion when an airsoft gun turns into a $1,200 project, you could get the real-deal.

(Feel free to PM me if you got any other specific questions as I've got access to both a 16" and 20" AR, and I'll try to answer them)

Most higher brand airsoft accessories will mate w/ real steel stuff.

W/ that said...like said above...when it turns into that kinda cash...you might as well get the real thing. W/ that said...$1200 for an AR is kinda cheap and doesn't really allow room for many accessories. Granted I can build a real AR for around $6-700 but buying a factory rifle will run you anywhere from $850-unknown. My last two AR's are both around $2000-$2500....needless to say..the fiance gave me some looks when she found out my rifles are worth more than her engagement ring. :a-jester:

W/ that said...I'm building an airsoft M4 CQB that'll probably be in the $1000 range when it's all said and done. :a-crazy: