to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
bobo123

How Long Does It Take Bio Bbs To Degrade?

There are lots of different brands of Bio BBs. Some fully decompose in a couple of weeks, some never fully decompose. YOu should probably try the search function for bio and biodegradable bb's.

Rumor has it Bioval Bio BB's are the best but my test isn't done yet.

Guest RamHammer
or will the degrade in the bottle? that would be funny

First of all, the bbs themselves are not bio-degradable. The glue HOLDING the bbs together are bio-degradable. That is how they are allowed to put the bio label on the bbs. So, they wont r degrade any faster than a "regular" bb.

Actually, I'm fairly sure they "degrade" by water/rain.

That they do. I just got back from a game in the rain, and had my bios in my pocket. After the 2 hour drive to get home from the location, I had a few less "normal" BBs left.

I set a couple of ECOBB brand biodegradable bbs outside for a week and a half now and they are just white crumbely powder. So I would say they work. I also set out some TSD Bio 180s for teh same time frame and nothing has happened. But they aren't supposed to decompose for 180 days, we will see.

All BBs aren't good...as an extreme liberal and wary environmentalist, I always buy biodegradables, but they never seem to decompose as described. I thought bacteria feed on the wheat compounds when exposed to the sun and water, but they sort of disappeared udner the soil instead of melting...

Now that I have to use .28s...I cannot even find bios for that weight. I can't imagine how all these plastic things will not decompose for another 500 years...

If Christopher Columbus threw a plastic water bottle overboard, only now would it start decomposing.

All BBs aren't good...as an extreme liberal and wary environmentalist, I always buy biodegradables, but they never seem to decompose as described. I thought bacteria feed on the wheat compounds when exposed to the sun and water, but they sort of disappeared udner the soil instead of melting...

Now that I have to use .28s...I cannot even find bios for that weight. I can't imagine how all these plastic things will not decompose for another 500 years...

If Christopher Columbus threw a plastic water bottle overboard, only now would it start decomposing.

ha ha. nice one ngob. a BB would probably decompose a couple years from now because its ABS and plastic bottles are flimsy.

anyway. As someone else said before, the glue inside the bbs decompose. not the actual bb. The only ones that work are Bioval bb's. but they cost 20 dollars per 1,700 bbs thats ALOT

I thought plastic never degraded because nothing feeds on it.

How would they even know that? I see plastic gatorade bottles, that people have thrown in the river, all the time along our creek line. Some of them are so weak, they almost tear.

Cotton rags 1-5 months

Paper 2-5 months

Rope 3-14 months

Orange peels 6 months

Wool socks 1 to 5 years

Cigarette butts 1 to 12 years

Plastic coated paper milk cartons 5 years

Leather shoes 25 to 40 years

Nylon fabric 30 to 40 years

Tin cans 50 to 100 years

Aluminum cans 80 to 100 years

Plastic 6-pack holder rings 450 years

Glass bottles 1 million years

Plastic bottles Forever

Styrofoam Forever

thats a biodegradability chart I just found that on the internet. Makes me pretty sad at all the littering I see. I just added Styrofoam, that also will never degrade.

Edited by AQUAFINA

I just joined this forum because I was looking up the question : What is the “Shelf Life” of biodegradable BB’s?

I found an entire sealed bottle of Cox 6mm biodegradable BB’s in my basement. They have to be 10 years old minimum!

They came in a transparent smoked plastic bottle that looked like an old Army canteen. The BB’s appeared to be an army 

green color but we’re actually white (once I opened the top and pulled off the seal.) The Bb’s looked fine to the naked eye and rolled

right out of the bottle into the magazine of my new Lancer Tactical GEN 2 M4 Poly SD. Then I got a whiff of them! WOW!

They smelled really bad! A combo of plastic and glue smell! I decided to remove them from my new gun and return them to the

original bottle, (not wanting to risk running them thru a new gun that has yet to be fired! ) Instead I used Lancer’s little bag of 1,000

BB’s that came with the gun. My other three guns, like the Cox BB’s, are at least 10 years old. This new Lancer is amazingly accurate

at 50 feet!  From 10 feet on Full Auto I notched out a one inch diameter circle on an old pine tree’s bark. (The tree is diseased and

coming down in a few weeks so please ... no tree hugger hate mail!)
     Anyways,  I’ll update this comment after I test the old BB’s out in one of my old guns and post the results. Like I mentioned previously, they weren’t sticking together or misshaped so maybe they’re still good. I’ll find out soon enough!

AEG's that have a clean barrel and an oil free hop-up has better accuracy at range.  50' is not something that is remarkable.

Guys have been pushing 85 Yards....yes most of a football field with a packing change and heavy bbs with a stock internal AEG around 400fps with 8" groups.