to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Of all the guides that help newbies the spring rifle section is neglected. There are many AEG guides however the springer community is ignored. I hope to help all the newbies on this forum by writing a good, correct, and helpful guide regarding spring rifles.

This guide is organized by style of gun. Starting with the Armalite Rifles.

--ARMALITE STYLE SPRING RIFLES--

Cybergun AR-15 and M16-A1 Rifles

1.jpg

These are some of the most common springer AR-15's and M16's on the market as they can be found from sporting goods stores to almost all airsoft shops that offer beginner level spring rifles. They are trademarked by DPMS Panther Arms which is a nice touch. There are two versions currently available. The Evolution edition which includes a AR-15 and the Kitty Kat Spring rifle, that shoot at about 230-245 fps with a .2g bb. They have decent range are quite nice in a Springer Battle. They are entirely made out of ABS plastic that is pretty poor quality, they also have bad quality barrels that should be cleaned upon purchase. The Evolution series are decent springers and have High Capacity magazines made of plastic. They are effective up to about 80 feet. They have a plastic charging handle and feature Adjustable Hop-Up.

They also make the Ultra Grade/Deluxe Model that has a 50 round magazine, fixed hop up and shoots at around 260-275 fps. These are more accurate and have better hop up. You can get one in Either an AR-15 or an M16-A1. They work best with .2g bb's and are accurate up to about 100 feet, and within that range are actually very accurate. These also feature somewhat flimsy plastic and are suggested to be used only in springer battles. Neither of guns are upgradeable or have Marui Compatible magazines. They are somewhat overpriced and are only suggested as a First gun. They cost from 50 to 100 dollars depending on where they are bought.

Well/Cyma Armailtes

2.jpg

These are cheaper Armalite Models that are poorly constructed and don't preform that well. Some don't feature hop up and are very inaccurate. These fire around 220-230 fps and offer a suggested to people who only want to plink around. They are terrible shiny plastic. These are a reminder of CYMA's old days as a terrible manufacturer. They do poorly on the field, even in only springer battles. They have 20 round magazines that you can not replace. They are accurate to about 50-60 feet. They can not be upgraded as no one makes extra parts for them.

They cost anywhere from 20-60 dollars depending where they are purchased from. I recommend them for someone on a budget or looking for a slightly decent wall hanger.

HFC XM177/ M16 Series Armalite Variants

hfc.jpg

These are probably the worst choice for an Armalite series spring rifle performance to cost wise; as the can be found for as high as $120! They are similar in quality to there spring pistols. They Look Good, they Feel pretty good, and perform with mediocre quality. They feature 20 round magazines and shoot at about 230 fps, with .2g bb's They are accurate for about 70-80 feet. They are made of pretty good looking ABS plastic and look OK. I would not recommend these to someone looking for a powerhouse rifle because if you want something like it, then get the a Marui, CA, or Toystar. Unless You are looking for a good wall hanger. Or you want a plinker. Avoid it.

Toystar Armalite Variants

3.jpg

These are GREAT Armalite springers, and probably the best Spring Rifles made. Toystar rifles are made in Korea. They feature full Colt trademarks, metal magazines, metal charging handles, and shoot up to 320 fps with .2g bb's. They are extremely well made with good ABS that is matte black and accurate up to 130 feet. They have adjustable Hop-Up. If you are looking to get a spring rifle and want the best then these are your best bet. They are available in M4A1 Carbine, M16A4, M4A1CQB version, and SR16 versions. All of these are great performers and can even be used with some MPEG's as Long Rifles. You can get 20 round style 200 round Hi-Caps and 30 round low caps for magazines they are not Marui Compatible. They are slightly upgradeable, as you can add a better spring. I Recommend these to anyone who wants the best spring rifles you can get. They Cost about 100-150 shipped from South Korea. Again, they are the best spring rifles made.

Tokyo Marui XM177/M16-A2 Spring Rifles

tmxm177e2_spring.jpg

These are old Spring Rifles made by Tokyo Marui. They are very high quality that shoot about 225 fps with .25 bb's Their performance is slightly less then the Toystar Variants. They have Superb Hop Up and Range. They are Accurate for about 120 feet and beyond. They usually cost about $120 shipped from Asia. They are made with Tokyo Marui Quality and are suggested to the person willing to spend more money for a good quality springer. As far as I know they have 30 round magazines and are not upgradeable.

They are great Rifles and are recommended for anyone who would spend the money.

Classic Army M15A4 Spring Edition

4.jpg

This is and old gun made by Classic Army. It is the only spring rifle that they make besides their M24 series. Made of good looking sturdy plastic this is a pretty decent gun. Shooting at a power of 240-250 fps and a pretty decent hop up, this gun has good accuracy. It also features a flip down pump handle the comes down from the for-grip, giving it a good rate of fire. However you can also charge via the charging handle. It has full Armalite trademarks that make this look very nice. It has a 33 round magazine that has a notoriously bad design of having two release switches. This can be a very annoying problem however is the only real con with this gun. It has a range of about 80-100 feet giving it a good reach on the battlefield. This gun may not be as good as a Toystar or Marui but only cost around 50 dollars, so they are very economic, however don't let the price fool you. I recommend this gun to the person that demands quality on a lower budget. Looking great and performing with quality, overall a great choice for a rifle.

--KALASHNIKOV STYLE RIFLES--

Cybergun AKM and other AK variants.

7.jpg

These AK's made by Cybergun are not very well made. They are Trademarked by Mr. Kalashnikov himself. They are poorly made and shoot like crap as well. They are somewhat accurate and have magazines that hold around 500 rounds and are not Marui compatible. They are available in AKM, AK-47S, and AK-47 Black. They shoot 230-240 fps with .2g bb's and are accurate for about 70 feet and are not recommended for anything but Spring Battles, they have pretty bad hop up. They can be found for 50-100 dollars. They are overpriced and I do not recommend them for many things. Maybe a wall hanger, however they are made from cheap shiny plastic and do not look that good at all.

UTG Spring AK 47 Variants

8.jpg

These are very nice spring rifles made by UTG. They are available in either a traditional AK, or the Beta Spetznaz AK. They have Metal Charging Handles which is a good asset and have high capacity magazines that are Marui compatible which is good because the stock mags are pretty low quality magazines. They shoot about 300 fps with .2g bb's however they Over Hop (put to much hop up) on.2g bb's. Therefore it is recommended that you use .25gbb's They are accurate for about 140 feet with their adjustable hop up. They are recommended To anyone who wants a good spring AK. Or a good workhorse rifle in general. They come with ugly scope mounts which work well, they allow the use a either a Red Dot Scope, or a Decent Airsoft Scope. I would get one for springer battles. They are really pretty good. They cost about $60.

Various China AK47 Variants.

9.jpg

These are available at cheap airsoft sites, and online hobby shops. They are made very cheaply and look horrible. They have cheap looking wood, shiny plastic and insult the design of the AK. They are entirely plastic and have terrible performance. They shoot anywhere from 200 fps with .12g bb's to 200 fps with .2g bb's depending on which one you get. They have a magazine capacity of 20-30 rounds. Many don't even have hop up They would not even work as a wall hanger as they look just SO bad. I really don't recommend these for anyone unless you want an AK of any kind and have a 20 dollar budget. My advise is just to avoid them.

The CYMA P1093

11.jpg

Now, this may be a CYMA Spring rifle. However this a recently made one. CYMA is known for their great quality of their newer models. This is one of them, I have been hearing great things about it. Not to much information is available on it other than that it shoots somewhere in the mid 200's with .2g bb's, is accurate to about 70 feet, and looks pretty good. This recently made springer is a gun that I would recommend despite the fact that not much is known. It costs about 30 dollars which is cheap, so as a Wall Hanger this would be a great choice.

Edited by Paisley Pirate

--Heckler and Koch Spring Rifle Variants Including MP5's and G3's and G36's--

UHC MP5 SD3

uhcmp5guidepic.jpg

Ah, where can I start. This is one Legendary Spring Rifle. First off they don't look THAT good however it does not matter. A replica of one an old MP5 variant this gun packs a punch. It shoots at 275 fps with .2g and has a good fixed hop up. It has a long barrel that gives it great accuracy among spring rifles. Strike that, It has Godly accuracy. It has been out for years however it is still one of the best starter guns made. It dawns a 20 round magazine that are very easy to find. When it comes to durability Nothing matches it. They can be dropped, beaten and go to hell and back; and still work great. Although the version two with sling mounts is not as good as the original, it is still a great choice. It is a gun recommended to anyone who needs a reliable spring rifle. They can be found re-branded by Tippman and Palco Firepower. They cost anywhere from 40-80 dollars.

UTG MP5A5/A4

13.jpg

This is also another great choice for a first gun. Made by UTG this gun has a Hi Capacity magazine that is Marui Compatible. This is a great feature because because it makes magazines easy to get. This gun has adjustable hop up making it an accurate springer, however not as accurate as the UHC. They fire anywhere from 240 to 260 fps with a .2g bb. It looks great and is pretty durable. However I have heard that lemons are prevelent, so beware. UTG does not have great when it comes to all around performence. It will not last as long as the UHC. I recommend it to beginners for a lower power, accurate little gun. It also looks good enough for a wall hanger if you want it for one. They cost about 50 dollars.

Tokyo Marui MP5A3

tmmp5a3.jpg

This is another great springer made by Tokyo Marui. It is a replica of the older MP5A3. It performs great, and looks great. It features a fixed Hop Up designated for .25g bb's. Shooting at 220-230 fps with .25g bb's it has great range and power. It features a 30 round magazines that are not compatible with Marui AEG magazines. They are durable and great shooters. There is hardly any chance that you will get a Lemon, Tokyo Marui has nearly perfect quality control. They cost about 100 dollars shipped from Asia. I recommend to anyone who will spend the money for a GREAT spring gun.

Tokyo Marui G3A3

14.jpg

A very big an handsome spring rifle by Tokyo Marui. Almost all of spring rifles and sub-machineguns they make are very similar in performance and quality. Fixed Hop-up made for .25g bb's this gun has excellent range and power, of which is about 130 feet. This gun features a 40 round magazine and is made to last. This gun performs great is recommended to anyone who will spend 120 dollars on a spring rifle. Again, you can't go wrong with Tokyo Marui, it is a great gun.

Double Eagle and Neonfire G36

16.jpg

This spring rifle made by Double Eagle, can also be found under the name of Neonfire. It shoots anywhere from about 180-210 fps with .2g bb's or 250 fps with .12g bb's It is somewhat accurate and look OK for a spring rifle. They have mediocre hop up, if any hop up. They have a range of about 50 feet and don't pack much of a punch; performing worse than a spring pistol. They can be found on many websites and they make them out to be incredible sniper rifles. However they are nothing but a half decent wall hanger. I do not recommend them to anyone. They cost about 20-50 dollars.

--OTHERS--

UTG M87/DE M47/Smith&Wesson M500/ Crossman Remington TAC shotgun

17.jpg

Another perfect starting airsoft gun. These shotguns can be found selling under the names, UTG, Double Eagle, Cybergun(Smith&Wesson), Crossman, and Remington. All of them are the same gun. They have 20 round magazines and you can also get 180 round hi-capacity magazines for them pair that with the rapid fire of a shotgun make them a great support springer. They have an adjustable hop up and have a great range of 120 feet. They are very durable and cheap. Anywhere from 20-40 dollars. The most recommended gun for newbies I myself own one, and I love the thing. I recommend this to anyone who wishes to own a very good spring shotgun.

VB/TSD M14 Springer

TSDM100SNIPERcopy.jpg

This rifle just hit the market about a few months ago, and has made a great first impression. First off, it is the cheapest, and only spring m14 rifle on the market. On top of that it shoots around 280-300 fps on .2g bb's paired with a long barrel makes this a great springer. It is very accurate with good hop up. It has about a 120 foot range, and has a 37 round magazine,it is able to use the magazines from the UTG M87 shotgun. Therefore can have a magazine capacity of up to 180 rounds! They feature a rail on which you can mount some optics to improve accuracy. It is a hefty, durable, accurate gun that I recommend to anyone looking for a good spring rifle. They cost about 40-50 dollars.

Cybergun/DE FAMAS

18.jpg

This spring rifle made by Cybergun is a pretty good spring rifle. It shoots at about 230 fps with .2g bb's with a range of about 100, it has a 40 round magazine. Unfortunatly there are no spare magazines available for this gun. Despite how it looks, it is very comfy to hold. It shoots a little slower than the other guns which is another con. However, it is the best spring bullpup in the US. So if you are looking for one, here it is. It costs about 40 dollars and I recommend it to someone looking for a good spring bullpup design rifle.

CSI XM8

20.jpg

My friend had this gun. It features a foam-ish rubber forgrip and a retractable stock. The built in bi-pod is of low quality and breaks, as does the Cocking lever. It comes with two 50 round magazines that clamp together, which is a useful feature, they also feed nice and are pretty durable. It shoots around 280 fps and has similar hop up to the UTG M87 Shotgun above, which means it is adjustable. It has peep sights similar to the Armalite Rifles, it also features a rail along the top to add optics, which are unnecessary for this gun. There are also various barrel accessories that come with this gun, an extended outer barrel, and a big silencer. Both a plastic and low quality and all the do is make the gun look bigger. However it pretty accurate for about 100 feet, and well worth the money. If it were not for the cheapy bi-pod and cocking lever weakness this would have been a great gun. So if you get one be prepared for these things. It costs about 30-50 dollars. I recommend to the person who wants to get a good decent gun, however it is not durable enough to make a good long term primary rifle.

Well, I hope this helps anyone in the market for a spring rifle. I always try my best to be nice and helpful.

A Special Thanks to:

Shorty USA

Airsoft GI

Speedy Toys

Airsoft Atlanta

Tokyo Hobby

Point Act

Hobbytron

The wonderful community of ASF

-Best regards, Aquafina

Edited by Paisley Pirate

This was very helpful. I don't know the springer market any more, as it's been a few years since I was interested in them. I appreciate the time you took to do this.

Guest darthrebelpengiun

I vote that this topic should be pinned. I too now want the DPMS Kitty Kat!

Guest p90-max

I suggest removal of the shotgun, unless you cover all the other "popular" shotguns...

Great guide! I don't know if it's pinned, I followed your sig to this, so if not I vote it tobe pinned!

I suggest removal of the shotgun, unless you cover all the other "popular" shotguns...

Great guide! I don't know if it's pinned, I followed your sig to this, so if not I vote it tobe pinned!

I hope this gets pinned :a-thumbsup:

And I think that the shotgun should stay, it is so commonly advised to newbies, I thought I should give the them the low down on it.

Guest p90-max
And I think that the shotgun should stay, it is so commonly advised to newbies, I thought I should give the them the low down on it.

What about the marui's? Or the maruzen versions? or the vfc shotguns? or the g&p versions? or the TSD version?

I bet info on those would also help your spring guide... Some of those are a bit pricey for a guide, but It's not a guide for those without that much...

Guest darthrebelpengiun
No you don't, save up for an AEG. It was a waste of $80, trust me on this one.

My friends are getting into Arisoft, and I always feel bad owning them with my AEGS (TM Ak47 Beta and Echo1 M4.) So another AEG would kind of defeat the purpose of spending the money. :a-thumbsup:

What about the marui's? Or the maruzen versions? or the vfc shotguns? or the g&p versions? or the TSD version?

I bet info on those would also help your spring guide... Some of those are a bit pricey for a guide, but It's not a guide for those without that much...

I didn't put those because I made a guide in the springer section, not the high quality shotgun area.

And... any word if this is good enough to replace the old guide here?

I didn't put those because I made a guide in the springer section, not the high quality shotgun area.

And... any word if this is good enough to replace the old guide here?

I think it's good enough, good job.

It's really more of a pump rifle, not a shotgun, since it doesn't fire shells... And of all spring rifles, I have to say shotgun-type ones are easily my favorite, and for a reason other than looking really cool. Since the cocking leve is the foregrip you don't have to change how you hold it to :censored2: it and that means a substantially higher rate of fire.

It's really more of a pump rifle, not a shotgun, since it doesn't fire shells... And of all spring rifles, I have to say shotgun-type ones are easily my favorite, and for a reason other than looking really cool. Since the cocking leve is the foregrip you don't have to change how you hold it to :censored2: it and that means a substantially higher rate of fire.

That's weird because you were talking about this shotgun in another thread and mentioned that it had a "low rate of fire". Click HERE to see what you said Make up your mellon!

I'm putting this forth for the veteran moderators to consider. I'll let you know if they decide it can get pinned. Gotta fix the images though.

Edited by New Guy on the Block

I'm putting this forth for the veteran moderators to consider. I'll let you know if they decide it can get pinned. Gotta fix the images though.

Pictures will get fixed. The Edit feature would help, any way you can help ngob?

Edited by AQUAFINA

Pinned.

Great Reference!

I have a question regarding UTG, Double Eagle, Cybergun(Smith&Wesson), Crossman, and Remington or what ever u want to call it. I just got mine last week and to be honist I am disapointid I played about 20 rounds and only hit 3 people :a- angry:!!!!!!!!! I am wondering what kind of beebes I should use right now I am using high density 6mm beebes and they curve up and fly away only after under 50 yards. Can aneone help me fix this problem? By the way it is a good looking gun tho. P.s I cant spell.

VB/TSD M14 Springer

TSDM100SNIPERcopy.jpg

This rifle just hit the market about a few months ago, and has made a great first impression. First off, it is the cheapest, and only spring m14 rifle on the market. On top of that it shoots around 280-300 fps on .2g bb's paired with a long barrel makes this a great springer. It is very accurate with good hop up. It has about a 120 foot range, and has a 37 round magazine,it is able to use the magazines from the UTG M87 shotgun. Therefore can have a magazine capacity of up to 180 rounds! They feature a rail on which you can mount some optics to improve accuracy. It is a hefty, durable, accurate gun that I recommend to anyone looking for a good spring rifle. They cost about 40-50$

are you sure you can put the hi cap m87 mag in to the tsd m14?

VB/TSD M14 Springer

TSDM100SNIPERcopy.jpg

This rifle just hit the market about a few months ago, and has made a great first impression. First off, it is the cheapest, and only spring m14 rifle on the market. On top of that it shoots around 280-300 fps on .2g bb's paired with a long barrel makes this a great springer. It is very accurate with good hop up. It has about a 120 foot range, and has a 37 round magazine,it is able to use the magazines from the UTG M87 shotgun. Therefore can have a magazine capacity of up to 180 rounds! They feature a rail on which you can mount some optics to improve accuracy. It is a hefty, durable, accurate gun that I recommend to anyone looking for a good spring rifle. They cost about 40-50$

are you sure you can put the hi cap m87 mag in to the tsd m14?

80% sure. I believe they will fit/work but not click in.

Does anyone know if the spring in the m14 can be upgraded along with the barrel? OR would the sp[ring destroy it and the barrel not work?

I'm thinking about trying to make an m14 sniper rifle w/o dumping money into it endlessly.

Does anyone know if the spring in the m14 can be upgraded along with the barrel? OR would the sp[ring destroy it and the barrel not work?

I'm thinking about trying to make an m14 sniper rifle w/o dumping money into it endlessly.

Don't know about the spring but I read read something recently about someone who took their g&g barrel and put it in their tsd after recieving an aftermarket tb.

I have a UHC MOD5 SD3 and it is amazing. I reccommend this gun if you need a good spring rifle. I also recommend this gun if this is going to be your first airsoft gun. It has the best accuracy out of all of my friends guns.

10/10! :a-famerican:

I can also vouch for the UHC MP5, when I was still playing backyard battles with (mostly) springers it always dominated. Partly because the guy using it was smart enough to realize that if you held the pump / charging handle with your palm faceing toward you you could put down a reasonable amount of fire. But also because it's crazy accurate and the best gun for the money. Of course, you could kick in an extra ten bucks and get a tri-shot, but that's different.