to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gergify

Member Usefulness Rating

Guest Gergify

Although the mods. have snipe the problem of "rank posting" between the eyes, there is a new form of evil abroad. Now members with more posts are thought to be "better" or "smarter" then those with little post count.

Here is what I propose (sorry if this has been discussed before), We have "Member Usefulness rating" system. Each member is rated be how useful their posts are.

Now there are problems with this, such as newbies, posting millions of bad ratings on a very wise/older member.

A fix could be that only Mods. , older members, or the most active members can post Usefulness for a member. Or all rankings have to go through special Mods and have to be approved by them. Each possible rating would have to include a comment on why the ranker feels that way about the member they are ranking. However this would add to the mod. staff.

In the end I think this could be useful. More then once there was members that had mass amounts post, yet they were highly un-helpful and very rude. Also it would give the new members a held start on who to ask their questions and who to respect and take advice from. This could also cut back on the amount of scams happening in the "for sale" section. People with a low Usefulness count would be less likely to be trust.

Comments?

Guest Mad_tomato

That is a ok idea, although I see several problems.

1) Causes "classes" among members. Sure, some members may be more helpful and knowledgeable, but does that mean we should give them a status above others?

2) Determining helpfulness. There is no fair way to do this. Maybe I'm jealous of so and so, or I don't like them, etc. High-post count, as you say, isn't necessarily all that. There are members with post count is the 1,000's who have been here less than half a year (somehow...) as compared to members kidna of like me, who have been here much much longer, but have less posts.

3) Why? To create disorder? What is the point of new members than? What nenefit does this have?

I've got no idea how the scripting works on these forums, so this might be an impossibility...

A forum I belong to has a karma system; mods and admins award +1 karma for good posts, -1 karma for annoying/useless posts. It's easy to see the members that have a low post count but are still helpful, the ones with high post counts that are helpful, and the members who for some reason can't be of any assistance at all...

I like it, it's much more telling that simple post count, and I think it causes people to think before posting.

But it might not be possible on this board...

Guest Revenge Seeker
More then once there was members that had mass amounts post, yet they were highly un-helpful and very rude.

You're talking about me aren't you? :a-embarassed:

I guess it'd be a like a star system? The most stars you have, the more helpful you are... just like elementary school!

Guest USMarineC

This is a good idea. Due to the fact that some few members are pretty useless and have a Huge post count. yet there are members that have low post counts are helpful.

Vanderbleek, that works well on other forums, though I am not sure whether it is feasable.

I like the idea, but the execution my be an issue.

Sennstrom

Semper Fi

Guest Xhado
You're talking about me aren't you? :a-embarassed:

No. You havent been here long enough to have any idea what hes talking about.

Guest Revenge Seeker
So I'm getting mixed opinions here....

Wow if you're really that irritated by me, PM me on what I'm doing wrong. Because I don't think I've treated any members unfairly before. I know I have some faults, such as posting unnecessary posts (which I am working on), but I don't think I've made anyone feel uncomfortable as you've said.

Wow if you're really that irritated by me, PM me on what I'm doing wrong. Because I don't think I've treated any members unfairly before. I know I have some faults, such as posting unnecessary posts (which I am working on), but I don't think I've made anyone feel uncomfortable as you've said.

Unnmm... He is not talking about you, he is talking about the topic.

Guest USMarineC

Well after thinking for a little while, and now I am not sure wether or not I support this idea.

I like it but the issue would be execution will be a problem.

Now depending on how the system is actually executed and how it works is a huge factor.

My issue with the system is say, a member(I.E. Kozy or one of his reincarnations) is irritated at another member. If he had the power to make a negative mark on his account would only cause dispute.

There will be members who also will find a way to raise his usefulness level, trying to feel Important. Though that will only be the Narcissistic people.

Sennstrom

Semper Fi

Guest Wesker

Or a member could be judged by the specific content in the post in question. I see this having the same issues as the reputation thing.

Guest USMarineC
Or a member could be judged by the specific content in the post in question. I see this having the same issues as the reputation thing.

Yup, that always turns out bad, and then the system is dropped due to too many disputes.

Sennstrom

Semper Fi

ergh? did you read xhado's post? lol...

Guest Gergify

Ummmm.... I was talking about the rating idea..... And I was joking about the MPEG threads RS..... Don't worry, we still luv ya, :a-rolleyes:

LOL... man, I think I have trust issues...

Sounded to me like a guilty conscience...*

I usually form my own rating system of members anyway, after a while, but it would help new people...

*Sarcasm guys, calm down.

Is this intended to be any different from that at Arnie's? It works pretty well, at Arnie's I think. It's mostly a matter of implementation. Could any system like this be done at all? We really need someone that knows Invision Power Boards (IE Admin, a mod) to let us know what is possible, and if there are already any mods that could easily be installed.

Guest ilovemybike345

the forum is wokring fine now, and there is already competition for post counts. no reason to start adding another "contest" to the forum...

the forum is wokring fine now, and there is already competition for post counts. no reason to start adding another "contest" to the forum...

*sighs* The competition for post counts is exactly the problem. It provides reward of quantity of posts, rather than quality. I submit that we experiment with a system that works in reverse to our current one.

*sighs* The competition for post counts is exactly the problem. It provides reward of quantity of posts, rather than quality. I submit that we experiment with a system that works in reverse to our current one.

I find it ironic.

I've been trying to cut down on the number of posts that I make. I've been leaving a lot of the easy questions to other members and only step in when necessary.

I find it ironic.

I've been trying to cut down on the number of posts that I make. I've been leaving a lot of the easy questions to other members and only step in when necessary.

Yeah, me too. I've been cutting down on my ASF time because of school :a-surrender:

Guest Revenge Seeker

me too!! its gone from 21.3 to 19.6 per day and still dropping! :a-jester:

But I think people exaggerate the whole post count issue. Its not like its the end of the world if a member gets an outrageous amount of posts. We all just need to calm down and look at post counts as it really is... a bunch of numbers..

edit:

also, check out the Admins at Arnies... 300,000+ posts! How can that be possible in only a few years?!

Edited by Revenge Seeker

me too!! its gone from 21.3 to 19.6 per day and still dropping! :a-jester:

But I think people exaggerate the whole post count issue. Its not like its the end of the world if a member gets an outrageous amount of posts. We all just need to calm down and look at post counts as it really is... a bunch of numbers..

edit:

also, check out the Admins at Arnies... 300,000+ posts! How can that be possible in only a few years?!

Admin only forums. Admins do a lot more work than you think.

Guest Revenge Seeker
Admin only forums. Admins do a lot more work than you think.

Then why don't any admins at other forums have more than 10,000? I think they make it where post count doesn't matter. But the guys at Arnies wanted to show off a bit more...

Then why don't any admins at other forums have more than 10,000? I think they make it where post count doesn't matter. But the guys at Arnies wanted to show off a bit more...

That's a generalization. Well, there's the possibility that they add numbers to their post counts for giggles, since admins can do that. Then there's the possibility that they really like their forums and just post that much. I was at a video game forum where a guy averaged fifty posts a day, and by the time I had 2,000 posts, he had half a million, though we joined around the same date.

Guest ilovemybike345
That's a generalization. Well, there's the possibility that they add numbers to their post counts for giggles, since admins can do that. Then there's the possibility that they really like their forums and just post that much. I was at a video game forum where a guy averaged fifty posts a day, and by the time I had 2,000 posts, he had half a million, though we joined around the same date.

owowoow, thats intense.

Well even if they DID post that much most of them owuld probably say

"thats cool, good luck" or "hey, welcome to airsoft" or "closed" hahah

As of what I know BP has the most posts on the Forums at almost 9000 so he is almost at the big 10K. But 500k posts is ridiculous, I best 95% of those posts were "cool" and "looks fun".

A half mill isn't extremely rare at large video game forums, where fan boys must out-flame eachother in order for their egos to be satisfied. Not that they have anything to be proud about, seeing as how if you make fifty flaming posts a day, there is no question as to whether or not you have a life. =/

Anyway, on-topic. I think, as a result of my similar thread, that no system will work as effectively as simply encouraging others to be more helpful. I do agree that removing the psot count feature would work wonders around these parts, but BP says it's not possible on IPB forums.

Guest Brad

Hookup Females Employs Free of charge Issues? A Fantastic Side to side Gain!

Cost-free hookup girls wiki
hookups on the internet is the best solution if you're tired of planning to pubs and night clubs simply to
be ignored, or even a whole lot worse, laughed at.
I am aware what it's like because I've been there.
I was individual and eager back into the day -- I necessary a brand
new partner -- nevertheless I continued trying because I had no other selection. If you're just one gentleman who would like to hookup with attractive women without gonna
those places where girls are alone, this article might just alter your lifestyle.
It is going to clarify why internet dating online is the greatest alternative if you're
a masculine that is too shy to technique a wonderful lady in a bar or membership.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this