bat21win

All Of The Very Best Painting Guides

This is a compilation of several threads that I felt deserved to be here. Let me know if you think that there's any threads that I have missed.

Full Guides

How To Multicam Your Rifle >LEO5.0

Airsoft Replica Custom Painting How to >762delivered

Alternative way to paint Digital Camo

Painting Template and Freehand, basic guide

Faux Wood >Bobby Lemain

Tips

Paint?

What kind of paint to use.

Roughening up Plastic for Painting

Preserving Trademarks When Painting

Paint Jobs

ASF's Official Paint Job Thread

If you would like to make a post here with a specific question you feel was not answered in the guide, feel free to do so.

If you have a paint scheme you would like to share and think needs to be on here, post the link. If it's good, I'll add it. Even if it's just a picture and a simple how-to, post it.

Edited by bat21win

Thanks for posting this. I am wanting to paint my MP5 A4 OD on the butt stock, foregrip, and pistol grip. Have you ever seen that done?

Yeah, I've done that (except for the pistol grip), to my little brother's mp5-j. You might consider painting the whole lower receiver.

I have seen how people have used string, tape, twigs, and leaves to make patterns on a gun that they have painted, to make it more camoflauged. Maybe I will just go all out. If I do, I will post how I did it and pics as well. Thanks for the advice!!! :a-famerican:

A couple of specialty products I use when I paint guns:

Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. This is a spray product that makes the paint adhere better, especially to plastics. You can put it on anything, though. Very light thin even coat, let it tack for 10 minutes, spray your topcoats. Simple.

Duplicolor Self Etching Primer: this is a great flat OD green product that weathers well and gives a great finish.

Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint (in spray). This gives the most durable, rock hard, near flat black finish. Takes a while to dry, but the finish on it is amazing.

My experience comes from years of painting cars, and selling paint products for a living for the past 15 years or so.

Thanks for posting this. I am wanting to paint my MP5 A4 OD on the butt stock, foregrip, and pistol grip. Have you ever seen that done?

if you do that post some pictures, that sounds intresting.

How do I do tigerstripes?

I just used construction paper and cut out tiger stripes, then laid the sheet of paper with the stripes cut out over my

AK 47 RIS. It turned out really neat. I laid a base of tan, then green and brown paint for the stripes.

Thanks, spraying is one of the most important things.

Also very important to balance out the painted parts. And make sure you are positive before you start to paint an area. I only paint areas where I can buy new ones (I.e. new magazine, handguard, stock)

Tip for removing crayon from trademarks:

When you preserve the trademarks with crayon, you can use something like goo gone to remove the crayon afterwards. I tried it and it works very nicely. I think it removes grease as well, so if you do this with your gearbox in the gun it may be worth babysitting it with paper towels to keep it from seeping inside. (It may also make you and your gun smell like citrus for a while also. :a-grin: )

It is safe for both plastic and metal. Can also be used to remove the sticker glue from any stickers that may be removed from the gun. (Who wants a bright, metallic warning label on their magwell? I didn't so I took it off and was rewarded with a large, sticky spot of glue that I thought couldn't get off.)

Other tip:

It MAY be possible to preserve laser etched trades. I can fill my ICS trades up with a crayon, but I had to use small circles for it to catch. I'll come back with the results when I finally get some paint.

Question:

Would Krylon's Non-skid paint work well for the foregrip, pistol grip, and stock? I know it says for metal and wood, but could it still be used on plastic?

Edited by some_kid6

A paint technique called Ragging, you use tissue, toilet paper, or an old rag etc. You spray the rag with the paint and just dab it on your gun, it makes a really nice camo, and is easy to do. Additionally, you don't have to take apart your gun to just paint certain parts, and you can go around the selector switch, and trademarks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL2RWQJMNkM

Video by DominoNAC, is not mine, and I take no credit for it.

(Yay First Post. :a-shocked: )

I tried the Goo Gone after I painted. It worked so well it even got rid of the paint I had put on 2 days before!...

I no longer recommend the GooGone method for crayon removal unless you need a paint stripper that smells nice. It did not harm the stock paint, but it took the Krylon Chalkboard paint right off.

I do still recommend it for removing the glue from the warning sticker though.

I no longer recommend the GooGone method for crayon removal unless you need a paint stripper that smells nice. It did not harm the stock paint, but it took the Krylon Chalkboard paint right off.

Chalkboard paint? Thats a good one.

You would be much better off with paint that was designed for outdoor surfaces, such as your guns, due to the stress on guns while playing airsoft. I personally use the plastikote camouflage line. The colors are flat, very natural colors, and last, ill post a picture later of the first gun I ever experimented with this on later. works great for touch ups too, especially the flat black for Most ARs which are Matte Black. I use this paint on airsoft and real guns, it last quite a while, very durable, and comes in a spray can :a-thumbsup:

I was thinking of painting my Echo1 M16. Not quite sure how to go about it. Don't know if I want to paint just the pistol grip, forgrip, and stock, or the whole thing. Any advice?

Do whatever you find is nice looking. If you are looking for it to actually blend in, the whole gun would be appropriate, if you're doing this purely for looks, try whatever you think looks the best.

Do whatever you find is nice looking. If you are looking for it to actually blend in, the whole gun would be appropriate, if you're doing this purely for looks, try whatever you think looks the best.

Due to our field being remotely open, and little way to hide yourself, I just went ahead with a blue tiger. post-57394-1275607632_thumb.jpg

Is there a way to paint on my insignia on the grip (both sides) that can withstand a great deal of wear and tear without fading considerably? Hopefully it could also be relatively undamaged by skin oils, and most liquids. I'd like to be able to paint it on once with several coats of paint, and a good primer. Any suggestions would be helpful and any and all mentions will be taken into consideration. :a-salute:

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to this forum, but I've been painting for a bit. I registered just to find one little thing out; Has anyone ever seen an Airsoft M9 in white? I've searched everywhere to see if someone did a white M9 because I was tired of seeing the standard black, chrome, stainless and tan. So if anyone can inform me if they have seen this done, or know it has been done, let me know how the results came up :a-grin:

This shall be my new project :a-wink:

My freshly painted AUG, hope you like.

hKxCA.jpg

E4ur4.jpg

HSvsF.jpg

4wcAw.jpg

D4kUF.jpg

fgCDJ.jpg

I would include a little "how to", but I really don't want to type it up.. Basically get some primer down as a base coat, go over it in a stripe pattern with your selected colors. Lay a net down over it, paint over the first stripes again with the net over the gun, but with an alternating color(so the scale look pops through), clear coat, and done.

Edited by parthbla000

Thank you for finding these guides. I've been wanting to paint my gun, and even have the paint for it, but haven't really found any good guides. These will help a lot and I'm sure the other guys I play with will enjoy them as well.