Sign in to follow this  
Kdog13118

How Fast Is To Fast?

I'm new to airsoft if you haven't noticed and I'm wondering if there are ways to turn down velocity on JG guns or for any gun? I've played paintball for many years and I know the FPS limit is 300, but I see airsoft guns that say they shoot 380 FPS!!! Is this ok I don't want to hurt people.

Firstly - Yes you want to hurt people if your going to be in competitions, just not bad.

300 fps barely breaks skin 350 fps breaks skin 400 fps makes you bleed 500 fps is pretty much the limit you get on airsoft 650 fps guns arn't airsoft guns, they are guns you pump air into, which technically is an airsoft gun but isn't because it mainly can only shoot metal pellets.

Enless your using a customized gun, custom built, or an expensive brand there is no airsoft gun able to shoot 650 fps or above (To my knowledge)

C'mon airsoft is all about realism and real wars include pain, 380 fps will make you bleed a bit, 300 nah, so I'd say if your not looking to get hurt then your ok. The pain is only temporary around 4 seconds of pain, and if you arn't in a battle and you get shot by some moron when your not prepared go ahead and run around the house yelling **** **** **** **** like I do when my retarded bro shoots me.

Firstly - Yes you want to hurt people if your going to be in competitions, just not bad.

300 fps barely breaks skin 350 fps breaks skin 400 fps makes you bleed 500 fps is pretty much the limit you get on airsoft 650 fps guns arn't airsoft guns, they are guns you pump air into, which technically is an airsoft gun but isn't because it mainly can only shoot metal pellets.

Enless your using a customized gun, custom built, or an expensive brand there is no airsoft gun able to shoot 650 fps or above (To my knowledge)

C'mon airsoft is all about realism and real wars include pain, 380 fps will make you bleed a bit, 300 nah, so I'd say if your not looking to get hurt then your ok. The pain is only temporary around 4 seconds of pain, and if you arn't in a battle and you get shot by some moron when your not prepared go ahead and run around the house yelling **** **** **** **** like I do when my retarded bro shoots me.

I am not going to agree with you on this^^^^^

300- doesn't hurt unless on bare skin or hand

400- doesn't really hurt unless bare skin or hand and will make you bleed if it is bare skin if the person is close enough

Basically it will not really hurt if you get hit were you have cloths on (thats why I wear gloves) and the adrenaline will also help you not really feel the pain. And I would say that JG guns are not the fastest because most sniper rifles shoot of 500 fps and yes they are still considered airsoft guns and people even have guns over 700 fps. But most places have a limit of 450 or 400.

Over all it does not hurt unless you get hit were you have no cloths. And only bleed where you have no cloths if they are close enough, I would say about 20 feet with a 400 fps gun.

p.s. it will only hurt for a second and then no more pain :)

p.s.s I think I have the same gun as you, the jg g36c?

Edited by bears

I'm new to airsoft if you haven't noticed and I'm wondering if there are ways to turn down velocity on JG guns or for any gun? I've played paintball for many years and I know the FPS limit is 300, but I see airsoft guns that say they shoot 380 FPS!!! Is this ok I don't want to hurt people.

You can't directly compare it with paintball because airsoft bb is considerably smaller and lighter. A bb carries less energy (and less hurt) at the same speed when compared to a paintball.

Most outdoor airsoft field have a limit of 400 FPS (with 0.2 gram BB), and you can't shoot people closer than 20-30 feet away. If you play outdoor and obey the minimum distance rule, you won't hurt anybody at a dangerous level.

If you want to play indoor, it's a different story. Indoor airsoft places usually cap guns at 330 to 350 FPS with a minimum shooting distance of 10 feet. Your gun is gonna be too hot for indoor games.

Edit:

Sniper guns clocking more than 400 FPS are usually restricted to 100 feet minimum distance. Besides, if you're a sniper you have no business shooting people closer than 100 feet anyway.

Edited by daggertiger

Ok so am I better off looking of a G36 that shoots 320 FPS instead of the JG G36 that shoots 380?

I would say no because

1. Most people play outside and the limit is higher

2. for indoor I think that the limit is more around 400 not 350 like the other person said.

3. And the jg gun is a good gun especially for the price.

Ok so am I better off looking of a G36 that shoots 320 FPS instead of the JG G36 that shoots 380?

I think you're better off with that JG G36 shooting 380, because it costs very little to downgrade a gun. Buy a $10 Guarder SP90 spring and you're good to go.

When you buy a 320 FPS G36 (which would be TM or CA at around $250-$300) and you want to upgrade it for outdoor play, you're gonna spend a lot of money (can be $100) upgrading it to 380 FPS.

Yes. A lighter spring can be installed. That's the best way.

Most people wear protective gear, or equipment that acts as protective gear (knee pads, thick uniforms, vests, pouches).

You can always buy a Tokyo Marui. They come standard at about 280, but because of the fantastic hop up installed, they have about the same range as the JG.

2. for indoor I think that the limit is more around 400 not 350 like the other person said.

Any indoor field that has an FPS limit of 400 probably doesn't have insurance. At my 2 local CQB fields, one has a limit of 300 with AEGs and 335 with GBBs with no engagement distances (measured with .2s). The other is 300 with .25bbs, no set engagement distance.

400 fps indoor is crazy, along with having a minimum engagement distance indoors.

Airsoft Playground has a max fps of 350ish and non engagement zone of ten feet, which mostly is disregarded by newbies. The only indoor field in socal I know of that had 400 fps limit was ATC because the place was HUGE! But then again ATC closed because of really crappy management.

We play with weapons up to 400 fps. I was hit in the forehead from 30 ft <AT> 380 fps and it left welts, but not cuts. We have purchased a sniper rifle doing 480 fps. We're going to try and keep the sniper shots outside of 30 yards. Inside of that distance it'll be sidearms only. I'll let you know how it goes.

Guest Ruthless Killa8

300 fps in paintball and 300 fps in paintball are 2 TOTALLY diffrent things. In paintball thats gonna hurt, in airsoft you're not gonna even feel it. Airsoft is not painfull unless you get shot from like 10 ft away or on bare skin. And bbs rarely draw blood. The guns I play agaist range from 350-515 fps and I have never bled once from a bb(But my gun has made someone bleed, but only once) So don't worry about the JG g36s fps unless you are playing at a cqb place with an fps limit.

As already said, paintballs weigh more, therefore have more momentum, which equals more pain.

Airsoft BBs weigh less, but go faster, and are smaller, so the pain is on only a small part of the body, whereas paintballs break (or they are supposed to) which helps to reduce the pain, and it's over a greater area. I have not been shot by a paintball gun, so I really can't say what the pain difference is.

If you are going to play outside, 350fps is probably the average for most guns. It doesn't hurt that bad when you get shot by a gun going that fast. It is enough to break skin in some cases, though. I have been shot by guns ranging from 200 fps (no pain) to 650 fps (not so fun). I would say that anything under 400fps won't hurt someone enough to do any damage (except the eyes, but you're wearing goggles/masks anyways), so I wouldn't worry.

300 fps in paintball and 300 fps in paintball are 2 TOTALLY diffrent things.

??? Yeah 300 fps in paint ball and 300 fps in paint ball is totally different.... I think you mean 300 fps in airsoft and 300 fps in airsoft are totally different

Did you meant 300 fps in paintball and 300 fps in airsoft are totally different things? lol someone had to get it right

umm guys, you care wayyyyyyyy too much about fps. the real story behind this is joules.

if you use the formula for kinetic energy: Kinetic Energy=0.5(mass in kg) (velocity in meters per second)^2

a paintball at 300 fps has a muzzle energy of roughly 12.8 joules, not accounting for the ball breaking.

a .2 gram airsoft bb at 400 fps has a muzzle energy of roughly 3 joules

as you can see, airsoft guns have much less hitting force than a paintball gun. This is also the reason you should chrono with .2's, because a heavier bb at the same fps is more powerful.

Ya, I got shot from about 15 feet away with a gun shooting 380 FPS, and hit me in the middle knuckle of the middle finger and made it double in size. It was about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it is still a little swollen. It also broke the skin too, bled a little. (Oh, and of course it was the game that I took my gloves off too, lol)

380 isn't really that big of a deal, as long as you aren't as close as the kid that shot me you should be fine. Just remember that it IS possible to break skin.

I'v played airsoft with the good guys down in Delta PA, and I must say their fps ranges from 400-600fps (including snipers). My sleeves were rolled up and the one guy shot me with a three round burst out of a systema upgraded gun from literally 6 feet away (I was dead but he thought I was still alive). He was shooting around 450fps or faster. OF COURSE I GOT SHOT WHEN MY SLEEVES WERE ROLLED UP, It happens almost all the time & it sucks XD. But anyway the welts popped out about as far as a bb is wide and they bleed really bad--they also left large purple marks because the bbs bruised my skin pretty seriously. I had scars for months... If anyone says airsoft is a pansy sport, they should think again!

Any gun that is 400fps or below is a good limit to play with, especially since those velocities can easily break skin from a decent range.

umm guys, you care wayyyyyyyy too much about fps. the real story behind this is joules.

if you use the formula for kinetic energy: Kinetic Energy=0.5(mass in kg) (velocity in meters per second)^2

a paintball at 300 fps has a muzzle energy of roughly 12.8 joules, not accounting for the ball breaking.

a .2 gram airsoft bb at 400 fps has a muzzle energy of roughly 3 joules

as you can see, airsoft guns have much less hitting force than a paintball gun. This is also the reason you should chrono with .2's, because a heavier bb at the same fps is more powerful.

I agree completely!!!

But BBs potentially have more chances going through objects because of its density.

I have played with guns over 600fps <AT> .25... It can break skin, even get embedded at times at close range.

I took 4 shots to the back (of course, the one round I take off my vest) by a 550 FPS gun by an idiot who shot me from around 20 feet away. left some pretty marks, I could barely walk off the field, but I was okay in a few rounds.

back on topic, kdog, get the JG g36c and downgrade the spring, and I would cap your FPS at 400. below that, you shouldn't have to worry about hurting people as long as nobody does anything dumb.

You don't realize that the fps of a airsoft gun and a paintball one are not comparable because the heavy paintball going the same speed as a airsoft bb is going to hurt 8 times as much because a paintball weights 8 times as much

Thanks guys this will help, I have decided to go with the G&G GR-16 Carbine Sportline airsoft rifle instead of the JG G36c. The Muzzle Velocity is around 340-360FPS, so form your information I wont have to worry about hurting anyone. Thanks again and if any other tips would be helpful, let me know, thanks.

Thanks guys this will help, I have decided to go with the G&G GR-16 Carbine Sportline airsoft rifle instead of the JG G36c. The Muzzle Velocity is around 340-360FPS, so form your information I wont have to worry about hurting anyone. Thanks again and if any other tips would be helpful, let me know, thanks.

You've decided six months after making your topic...? Well, good choice on the gun.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.